The LEGO Movie Sequel

lol username

The LEGO Movie's theatrical release is only days away, and early reviews have been quite positive from both film critics and LEGO fans lucky enough to attend early screenings. The projected success of the movie, combined with the directors saying they much more story material where it came from, leaves it as no surprise that a sequel is already in development, with Jared Stern writing a script. Oh, and don't forget that Ninjago movie coming sometime in the next few years, too! And probably video game tie-ins. Weeeeeeee.

Sources: The Wrap

Holy cow. Jared Stern is the writer of Wreck-it-Ralph and some other big Disney animated films (that's probably obvious to everyone else but I had to look it up on IMDb). I would usually be skeptical of a sequel like this, but it seems they are still really serious about things and not just going on to milk the franchise for all it's worth. It will be fun to see how this develops.

I hope they know what they're doing. If this first one is as fun as it seems to be, I don't think there should be any problem.

I only hope I'll able to watch then English version of them here in Norway. There are no words to describe the Norwegian-dubbed trailer.

(A friend of mine described it as "painful" having to watch the Norwegian trailer after the English one.)

An actual sequel??? Like, confirmed, and not going down the path of Clutch Powers?

Color me intrigued.

Also, WHY do jamesster's news posts get more attention and stuff than mine? Guys. LEGO GHOSTBUSTERS.

Quisoves Potoo

I hope they know what they're doing. If this first one is a fun as it seems to be, I don't think there should be any problem.

I only hope I'll able to watch then English version of them here in Norway. There are no words to describe the Norwegian-dubbed trailer.

(A friend of mine described it as "painful" having to watch the Norwegian trailer after the English one.)

Do you have the link? You have just piqued my curiosity in a perverse way...

Not sure whether the overall reaction here is positive or negative, but I'm certainly excited. As Rokreder said, if this movie is great (and by the sounds of things, it really is), I'm sure the sequel will be too.

The only downside for me is that they're doing it so soon, I very much hope it's not going to become a churned-out thing like Marvel movies. I enjoy waiting a couple of years for a good film, rather than having them pumped out like a TT game.

Also, WHY do jamesster's news posts get more attention and stuff than mine? Guys. LEGO GHOSTBUSTERS.

I give no less attention to your news posts that jamesster's, it just happens that in many cases I happen to have something to say about the news topics that jamesster has posted. :/ It doesn't mean your posts are any less valued, though.

• Like 2

The Norwegian trailer and my though on it, with examples. 

So, I could not find the video on YouTube anymore (for some strange reason, I have seen it there before), so this link will have to do. :)

Since I know there are two or three guys here on the forum that aren't fluent in Norwegian -.-, I wanted to try a show how bad some parts of the translation are. 

The thing is, the translation is good! It is just the jokes and having to make the sentences fit the clips that cause huge problems and make the dubbing sound unnatural.

My translations are explicitly incorrect to let them make as little sense in English as the Norwegian version would do to Norwegians. If they do make perfect sense to you I have obviously made a mistake :P

First though, they didn't translate "the special". This one is unforgivable, as there is literally NO reason not to. Not length, mount movement... Nothing. :rf:

"We'll wing it. That's a bat pun."   ->   "We'll feather it. That's a bad play on words." 

"To wing it" means nothing at all in Norwegian, and makes as much sense as "to feather it" or perhaps even "to aileron it". The bat aspect being removed makes it just a random statement.

(Bat = Flaggermus, so while understandable, they should just have switched out the whole sentence and made up their own joke.) 

"...I have no idea what's going on. At all." -> "...I don't know what's happening. Really."

Emmet's hand movement forces the "really". Awkward, but they did not have much choice. The other words are basically synonyms and quite OK.

I hope that gave you guys a bit of an understanding why I think the Norwegian language does not work very well in this movie.

I was about to post the above when I also watched trailer #2 in Norwegian, and noted a few differences, the most notable being they have translated "the special" now. :D / 

This made me realize the trailer probably does not show how the movie will be, since they are dubbed separately. (Dubbed trailer of a movie, not trailer of a dubbed movie.)

• Like 2

An actual sequel??? Like, confirmed, and not going down the path of Clutch Powers?

Color me intrigued.

I doubt they'll make a Clutch Powers sequel unfortunately seeing as they didn't go with Threshold Studios for the latest Hero Factory. Threshold did HF, Atlantis, and Clutch Powers. The newest Hero Factory episode is awful too. There's no depth to it at all.

I'm excited to hear about The LEGO Movie sequel though! Haven't seen TLM yet but I sure plan to.

• 2 weeks later...

...2017?

Initial reaction:

tumblr_m1612v181c1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

But then, after quick contemplation:

tumblr_m80wfrzhJj1qmlkrvo1_500.gif

That's great news. I'm so glad it's not Disney doing TLM, or they'd be pumping out money-grabbing poor-quality films like Marvel (okay, perhaps a bit of a heavy opinion there).

It's when movies have a long waiting time that I know they're going be good, like the Man of Steel sequel that's taking its time too.

• 2 weeks later...
BerixMaster2010

Eh, I think one movie was good enough for me.

I'll probably pass on this one until it comes on Blu-ray or DVD.

Minifig9292

This can only lead to bad things.
They hired Jared Stern and Michelle Morgan to write the sequel. What have they done?
Jared has written ADDITIONAL content for Wreck-It Ralph, and he wrote the monstrosity that is Mr. Popper's Penguins 2011 and The Watch. And Michelle Morgan has done two movies no one's ever heard of. And both were meh.
EVERYTHING IS AWFUL
EVERYTHING IS CRAAAP WHEN YOU MAKE A HALFASSED SEQUEL
:(

Unikitty better be just as good tho.
Best character. Benny is runner up best character.

Jared has written ADDITIONAL content for Wreck-It Ralph, and he wrote the monstrosity that is Mr. Popper's Penguins 2011 and The Watch. And Michelle Morgan has done two movies no one's ever heard of. And both were meh.

Oh. I guess hastily Googling something has failed me yet again. :|

I guess I'm a little more skeptical now. Still, I'm happy enough that we got one fantastic movie from LEGO. At least it won't be the end of the world if the sequel stinks.

• Like 1

Either way we look at this, we're getting more sets from TLG. Possibly more fan service in the sets, too.

WE MAY GET ANOTHER PEPPER RONI.

But that's years ahead. Best to not count our chicks before they hatch.

Quisoves Potoo
They hired Jared Stern and Michelle Morgan to write the sequel.

Methinks that if ever anyone were well-suited to write a Lego Movie sequel, Paul Magrs, who has written for Doctor Who in various media (alas, not television) and created the character of Iris Wildthyme, would be the man for the job.  He's got a zany imagination, a love of meta-humor, and is talented writer to boot. Alas, he is probably not so well known outside of Doctor Who fan-circles (though he doesn't write exclusively for Who, so  I may be wrong,) and would probably not have a big enough name to be noticed. But one can always dream.

lol username

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/12/the-lego-movie-2-picks-up-director

Warner Bros. has set Chris McKay to direct the upcoming sequel to The LEGO Movie, which has earned over $362 million worldwide since it opened a little over a month ago.

McKay is no stranger to the franchise, as he was the co-animation director on the first LEGO Movie under the direction of Phil Lord and Chris Miller. That duo is now producing alongside Dan Lin and Roy Lee, with Jared Stern and Michelle Morgan penning the script.

Deadline notes that The LEGO Movie 2 will be a straight sequel and that the studio is still in negotiations to move forward on the LEGO Ninjago spinoff, which has been in talks for some time.

Besides The LEGO Movie, Chris McKay's directorial works include 19 episodes of Moral Orel as well as 40 episodes of Robot Chicken, including the popular TV special Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode III.

The LEGO Movie 2 hits theaters on May 26, 2017.

The LEGO Movie 2 hits theaters on May 26, 2017.

Hurrah... I'm so looking forward to waiting Three more YEARS... yaaaaaaaayyyyiieeeeeeee.... (* )_(* )

Now, I DO know it takes a long while to make a Movie (especially a detailed one with brilliant renders) but I also don't think it is a good idea to start with the main characters battling against Duplo. I can only guess that small children who watch characters beating up Duplo bricks and people will possibly cause those children to give up Duplo and become in favour of... ...Well, NON-Duplo bricks.

This could be a stupid idea coming from me but apart from that there isn't much to continue. Time for spoilers to explain what I mean (Thanks to le717 whom helped, thanks):

...There we go... Anyways... If you have seen the film you will know that Lord Business is good now, The moral of the story (Of Lego being a toy, not a display) is clearly shown, And the Day has been saved. Now what? Who will be the villain? Will there still be the same characters? What will happen? Again I highly doubt that the Duplo creatures (or 'aliens') will be the villains.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on this.

--Ben24x7--

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why I heard about it as last?

In our cinemas, still show The LEGO Movie D: .   

Certainly, it is great one, but, not good that will come only in 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
Minifig9292

I still have incredibly low hopes for this movie.

I honestly feel they shouldn't make a sequel.  It really should stay as a standalone movie.

A craptastic sequel would only spoil that.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.