The LEGO Movie Sequel

lol username

• 8 months later...

http://comicbook.com/2015/01/07/the-lego-movie-sequel-takes-place-4-years-after-the-first-say-ph/

"Well I don’t want to give you spoilers,†Miller said, when asked about what he and Lord are hoping to explore in the sequel, “but we were really interested in what happens to that boy who’s in the meta story in the first movie when he’s four years older. When he’s an adolescent how does that change his point of view?â€

“Emmet, for example, was in an existential crisis of having seen another dimension and was questioning the whole point of his existence,†Miller says.

• Like 1

ProfessorBrickkeeper

"Well I don’t want to give you spoilers,â€

Well, that was abandoned pretty quickly.

“Emmet, for example, was in an existential crisis of having seen another dimension and was questioning the whole point of his existence,†Miller says.

Goodness, so now Emmet is coping with PTSD. To quote Batman in TLM, "Seriously?"

On a side note, my immediate reaction was to skim for mentions of Johnny Thunder.*

*alas, none yet. :(

If he was questioning why he was being watched by many people sitting in rows of seats in a dark room I would totally spend my money for this film as that Fourth Dimension magic would be enough to blow my mind.

Intriguing, it's a concept I hadn't thought to explore. So long as they keep the movie primarily LEGO I'm looking forward to it, it'd be a shame if they brought the reality side of things more and more into the main focus.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/70257

They didn't want to go into spoilers, but they did say that they're writing the second Lego Movie right now and that it will focus on Emmett and his sister in a “weird, dystopian version of Bricksburg.†The time frame is gonna be a few years after the events of the last movie as well.
  • Like 2

Emmet and his sister.

Finn and his sister.

Finn gets older, enters his dark ages, and Bricksburg becomes dystopian.

Makes sense, if that's what they're going for.

• Like 2

Quisoves Potoo

But wasn't Bricksburg already dystopian, just in a rather insidious manner? The poor city doesn't get any rest, it appears (not that that's terribly surprising, unless Finn is an especially huge fan of City.)

Emmet and his sister.

Finn and his sister.

Finn gets older, enters his dark ages, and Bricksburg becomes dystopian.

Makes sense, if that's what they're going for.

"Toy Story 4 but with Legos"?

Goodness, so now Emmet is coping with PTSD. To quote Batman in TLM, "Seriously?"

That's not PTSD. That's having your whole existence put into a different perspective. It could allow for a lot of lampshading and meta-humor, or it could go badly.

Or they could just go whole hog and make Emmet the Kwisatz Haderach :P 

. Of course that would literally make him literally "the special", which is something TLM purposefully avoided.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
eagleeyedan

The trailer was released today! Everything is not awesome since the DUPLO invasion and it looks like the plot is going to revolve around Finn's sister now being allowed to play with the LEGO town, probably grown up out of DUPLO now and is playing with with her minidoll sets.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

We gots another trailer!

How do I know? While bingewatching a YTer this came up as one of the ads. :P It's the only ad in existence that I haven't either hammered Skip Ad immediately or turned the volume off.

Yes, I have an adblocker, but I turned it off for YT so I could support the three YTers I actually like to watch

Looking cool!

The plot seems to mostly involve invasions of some not-entirely-Duplo aliens (note 1) from OUTER SPEEEEES (note 2) that kidnap Wyldstyle (node 3) and a bunch of the Master Builders.

Note 1: Funny, I was expecting the villains to all be Duplo things. Maybe that's why everybody's basically living  in a post-apocalypse that Wyldstyle mentions at the start.

Note 2: Everything's better with speeeeees

Note 3: Apparently now Lucy. Emmet and Wyldstyle seem to be actually quite close. I'm hoping like mad this won't turn into a romcom :/ Com, yes, please yes, but lay off the rom.

EDIT: Oh and note 4, the movie is coming sometime in Feb, not sure when.

EDIT2: note not node ; I've got engineering on the brain

Hope the whole movie doesn't take place in "post-apoc land", "space", and "sister's LEGO land"; wonder what locations they aren't showing in the trailer

• 3 months later...
thunderzizi

So uh...anyone wanna talk about it now that it's actually, y'know, out?

Personal thoughts: It's good, I liked Rex Dangervest.

jyoCENGq1KP_ieoXS8w5GvZKImePF-xX9E4j5Zepsuch hotness

4 hours ago, thunderzizi said:

So uh...anyone wanna talk about it now that it's actually, y'know, out?

I'm still waiting for the point where it's safe to talk about spoilers (I mean, I know I can use the spoiler tag, but I just want to be on the safe side for now), but I can give you a spoiler-free summary of my thoughts on the film.

For the record, I've watched TLM2 twice in theatres. While this was partially a test to see if the film held up after knowing the plot and all it's twists and turns (it did, and I still had a blast despite knowing the film's story), I wanted to rewatch the film as I was struggling to come to a conclusion about whether TLM2 is better than the original (I mostly thought it was as good as the original, yet every now and again I felt it was better and I couldn't explain why).

To summarise, The LEGO Movie 2 - in my opinion - is a purely fun and entertaining film. There's many jokes appropriate for different age groups, there's references/shout-outs if you're into that sort of thing, it's pure entertainment.

HOWEVER, I personally think the original movie has a better story, structure and a brilliant unpredictable-if-it's-your-first-time-watching-it plot twist.

Not that TLM2 is awful or anything, I still think it's a good film (honestly, I think TLM2 is more fun than the original), but the original film has a better story.

...oh, and the film has two covers of "Everything is awesome" that are, in my opinion, better than the original's version (although that's probably just my musical tastes, as I prefer calmer/quieter music over loud/obnoxious dance music).

Spoiler

...honestly, I'm looking forward to the point when it's safe to post movie spoilers, because I really want to rant/talk about TLM2's plot twist(s).

• 4 weeks later...

Just so you all know, TLM2 hasn't come out in NZ yet. The game might have, but alas on this side of the globe we're still waiting until April 11. :squint:

That's only over two months since it came out in the US and UK, on February 8. 

Anybody have the slightest clue why this is the case? One google search later, apparently it's a) been the case for all the Lego movies,and I just never noticed, and b) supposed to time with the school holidays (as opposed to the post-Christmas period).

This is a rather amusing spin on the issue (spoiler'd as it's big):

Spoiler

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.