LEGO Universe Playthrough

lol username

I spent too much of my life on this freaking game. A game specifically designed to keep me playing and interested while simultaneously cringing at its fundamental design, to make me love its developers for being awesome people who put their hearts into it while also making me wonder just what the hell they were thinking when they created it. Ladies and mentlegen, I give you LEGO Universe.

Playlist

Part 1

Part 100, end of the main Sentinel playthrough

Part 101, Paradox exclusive missions

Part 102, Venture League exclusive missions

Part 103, Assembly exclusive missions

During the last three months of this game's determined but confused existence, I recorded as complete of a playthrough of it as I could. Seeing as the game was designed to sap up as much of a kid's time as possible, that meant 39 hours (perhaps closer to 40 counting stuff I cut out or sped up) of recording just to complete every mission (including the missions exclusive to certain factions) and collect every collectible.

In the end, I got all of the core content recorded, but if I had actually been playing the game for the sake of playing it, then I would have been only beginning... With many, many more clothing and weapons and armor sets to complete, and what was for all practical purposes an endless barrel of achievements that required smashing what was likely a grand total of hundreds of thousands of enemies to complete (side note: if somebody could actually figure out exactly how many enemies one would have to smash to 100% complete LU, I will laugh and hug you as a fellow nutcase should).

After a bit of a break, I will be uploading another series of videos about LEGO Universe, recorded around the same time as this playthrough: Tours of all the worlds, showing both how players normally saw them on foot, and broader overviews from the sky via jetpack. The point of this second video series will be twofold:

• First, to show how easily the illusions used by the level designers used break when viewed at the wrong angle.
  • Second, to show how amazingly little time it takes to simply explore them, thus accentuating the fact that this game dragged a few hours of world exploration (at most) into solid days of running back and forth as a little yellow plastic FedEx wannabe/zombie slayer.
Enjoy. Except I seriously don't expect anybody to actually watch the whole thing.

LEGO Minifigures Online, coming later this year! Oh dear wad.

• Like 9

ProfessorBrickkeeper

(side note: if somebody could actually figure out exactly how many enemies one would have to smash to 100% complete LU, I will laugh and hug you as a fellow nutcase should).

(Note: this calculation does not take into account the order of missions and achievements completed. This also does not compensate for fact that enemies would count for both missions and achievements.)

Achievements: 16451

Ninja Warlord: 333 Dragons

Ninja Initiate: 3110 Maelstrom Horsemen

Ninja Acolyte: 1125 Dark Ronin

Murgle Blotch Timesmash: 1 Murgle Blotch

Lead the Charge: 100 Maelstrom Horsemen

Kinga Hurl Timesmash: 1 Kinga Hurl

I can do it on my own: 1 Spider Queen

Hammer Down: 800 Hammer Stromlings

Elite Dark Spiderling Destroyer: 160 Elite Dark Spiderlings

Defeat the Maelstrom: 560 Elite Enemies

Crux Prime Shogun: 200 Horsemen Invaders

Crux Prime Mutineer: 75 Stromling Admiral Invaders

Crux Prime Hacker: 1000 Stromling Mech Invaders

Crux Prime Guardian: 200 Dark Ronin Invaders

Crux Prime Exterminator: 200 Dark Spiderling Invaders

Crux Prime Defender: 1650 Stromling Invaders

Crux Prime Champion: 16 Named Enemies

Crux Prime Bonesmasher: 675 Skeletons

Crux Prime Avenger: 1650 Stromling Pirate Invaders

Crux Prime Ape Whisperer: 185 Stromling Ape Invaders

Crush the Uprising: 100 Survival Mechs

Corrupted Sentry Destroyer: 400 Corrupted Sentries

Brains!: 100 Survival Stromlings

Avant Guardian: 6150 Stromlings

Missions: 104

Hare Today: 10 Maelstrom Beavers

Hammer the Hammers: 25 Hammer Stromlings

Funny Bone: 1 Krazi

Fortify the Front: 6 Stromling Mechs

Forbidden Trophies: 5 Dark Ronin & 1 Maelstrom Horseman

Fight the Admirals: 3 Stromling Admirals

Face the Ape: 1 Stromling Ape

Engineers of Destruction: 3 Skeleton Engineers

Creepy Crawlies: 10 Dark Spiderlings

Bug Hunter: 5 Dark Spiderlings

Bones for Urufu: 10 Skeleton Troopers

Bone's Eye: 1 Bonezai

Arachnophobia: 1 Spider Queen

Another Bug Hunt: 3 Elite Dark Spiderlings

Anchor Management: 1 Stromling Ape/Stromling Admiral

Alpha Dog: 15 Bone Wolves

A Better Bone Bucket: 3 Skeleton Marksmen

(Hey, at least I didn't use the "It's over 9000!" meme.

@jamesster, I would prefer not to have that hug you mentioned, BTW.

In related news, I REALLY need something productive to do.

Quisoves Potoo

Well, this is certainly a commendable work. It's good to see this coming full circle.

I wish these were of more use than simply posterity, and so I thus feel somewhat melancholy about them. Nonetheless, they will come in use to someone. And no doubt they will bring back happy memories for many.

So, bravo! I salute you, Nexus Force style.

Mr. Eight-Three-One

omfg how u still be playin this u hacker

Loljk. Seriously, that is commendable. It makes me so happy you went through the effort of archiving anything possible with this game. I cringe at the thought of something being lost forever, and these videos ensure this game will not be forgotten.

Wow, so much nostalgia... I only had to hear the music at the login screen to smile like a l'il kiddie.

This is excellent. I will very much enjoy watching through these videos, remembering the awesome graphic style that made it so much better than TT games' stuff (in my opinion). There's something about the figures in LU, they just seemed to have so much more character than those in TT games.

Thank you, sir.

EDIT: I didn't realise they added so much once the beta finished! I played the beta but stupidly didn't go on to play the full game - it was a little pricey for me - but seeing things like that Paradox base...

Awesome.

The one thing I hate about the walkthrough is that you're always jumping and have sound effects on. I always turn them off when I play games. Otherwise, great work.

The one thing I hate about the walkthrough is that you're always jumping and have sound effects on. I always turn them off when I play games. Otherwise, great work.

When 90% of a game is simply running from one place to the other, and jumping makes you move faster, what do you expect people to do? ;P

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlayerTic

In Platformers, some people will jump and Double Jump even when they're not crossing platforms—they simply bound across the landscape. In an Action Adventure game, they might turn an Unnecessary Combat Roll into an Unnecessary Anything Roll, somersaulting everywhere they go. A First-Person Shooter player with unlimited ammo might just unload rounds into the environment. An RPG player waiting for an Overly Long Fighting Animation to finish might mash their buttons in time with the music.

Reason? There generally is none. Gameplay advantage? Minimal. It's mostly just gamers pressing buttons to, well, press buttons—and maybe break up the monotony of long stretches of gameplay where there's not much else to do, like traveling over the Hub Level before getting the Warp Whistle, or to fill the time in RPG battles without Action Commands.

• 1 month later...
lol username

After a bit of a break, I will be uploading another series of videos about LEGO Universe, recorded around the same time as this playthrough: Tours of all the worlds, showing both how players normally saw them on foot, and broader overviews from the sky via jetpack. The point of this second video series will be twofold:

• First, to show how easily the illusions used by the level designers used break when viewed at the wrong angle.
  • Second, to show how amazingly little time it takes to simply explore them, thus accentuating the fact that this game dragged a few hours of world exploration (at most) into solid days of running back and forth as a little yellow plastic FedEx wannabe/zombie slayer.

how do you play lego univrese i thought it was canceled

Thank you for putting so much time and effort into this project, jamesster! It’s going to be an invaluable repository of reference information as we move further and further from the days LEGO Universe was playable.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/29/2014 at 12:00 AM, Terrev said:

Enjoy. Except I seriously don't expect anybody to actually watch the whole thing.

Update: I've had many people tell me that they've watched it all the way through. Some of them hadn't even played the game, but got curious about it and decided to learn as much about it as they could, and are now following the server emulator development attempts.

asdf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.