"Game.exe has stopped working"

Outside The Lego Box

Outside The Lego Box

It gets to the loading screen and then it crashes.

I'm running it via the diskless method, patching and all. But it keeps telling me this.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

(Yes, tried compatibility mode.)

Opening it in AutoRun can sometimes managed to get it to load for a VERY short time. get it to before Freeway Frenzy.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Does the game run with the CD or a mounted ISO? That's a pretty general error that doesn't leave much to go on. The only thing I can suggest is running the game with WinDbg or OllyDbg in an attempt to find why it is crashing.

Outside The Lego Box

Does the game run with the CD or a mounted ISO? That's a pretty general error that doesn't leave much to go on. The only thing I can suggest is running the game with WinDbg or OllyDbg in an attempt to find why it is crashing.

It runs, but it crashes at the black screen.

I know Xiron has some link in his signature about IXS freezing on load, so maybe you could ask him. I don't have the game and thus don't know much, but I think he might me able to get it working.

Outside The Lego Box

I know Xiron has some link in his signature about IXS freezing on load, so maybe you could ask him. I don't have the game and thus don't know much, but I think he might me able to get it working.

That's actually who've I've been talking to, to try and help me out. 

Outside The Lego Box

I've actually found a solution: (Running WINDOWS 7, not sure if it works on Vista or 8/8.1.)

I think this only works in my and some other peoples too, where attempting to patch game.exe and running discless just doesn't work.

1. When running the ISO (or whatever) a popup should come up to open the files in Windows Explorer, click it.

2. In the list of files, you should see "AutoRun", right click it, and at the bottom it should say "Properties".

3: In the window, click compatibilities.

4. In the menu, you should find something to run in compatibility mode, enable it and select (Windows 98/Me) from the drop-down bar.

5: There should be an option that allows the game to run in administrator mode, click it.

6: Run AutoRun.exe and pray to god it works for you guys too.

So far, the game hasn't crashed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
intrepidowl

Hey, I just recently got the patch mentioned above, patched, and ran it using no-cd method. It works perfectly for the first time! (One time on Windows 7, using some compatibility settings I don't remember, I managed to get to just before Freeway Frenzy and it crashed, but I successfully got through to the island now) It hasn't crashed yet...

After a little trial and error, I found the following things to keep in mind if LIPS gives an error titled "Could not open the file for writing!":
- No instances of the game should be running. This usually happens after previous failed attempts to open the game, since the failed attempts leave behind a non-working instance of Game.exe.
- Run LIPS as an administrator.

For reference I am running Windows 8.1 and using the Win98/run-as-administrator compatibility settings.

Some issues I had while playing through were not being able to do certain activities through the grey billboards. Actually I could only do the "Photo Fit" activity, and it crashed with all the other ones I tried (Freeway Frenzy Bronze, Motorbike Mayhem Bronze, Trouble in Store, and possibly others I don't remember -- also of course, I haven't tried the activities with prerequisites, like Wave Catcher, since I can't access them yet). I don't know if I'm the only one with these issues. Just save often and especially before doing anything other than roaming the island. (EDIT: I just managed to get into Trouble in Store and I don't know how or what was different from this run than the other times I ran it)

Mad props to Le717 and Xiron for making this though.  :thumbsup:
  • Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

You are the first using the patch to report having this problem, so it may be on your end.

Specs?

Also, what was the last modified date of both the FindDisc.exe and Game.exe (before patching it. Just check off the disc for that, if it is there).

intrepidowl

I found that some things sporadically worked; for example, I got into both Trouble in Stores and then I managed to get through all the levels of Motorbike Mayhem, but I haven't tried the others.

Looks like the boat license is having graphics problems too; after a short distance, the screen turned white and it appeared to be covered in sea spray particles from the boat so I couldn't see anything on the screen. When I jumped out to end the license test because of this, I noticed that the water was actually all white (visible behind Valerie Stubbins as she says something along the lines of "try again"), and game crashed shortly after. Upon subsequent attempts at the test, the screen went straight to the sea-spray cover, and the same happened when I jumped out. Currently I have a save which oddly crashes just upon loading now, not even at the test. Bummer. Hopefully a restart will fix it.

The original FindDisc has timestamp 10/24/2002 5:06 AM and the original Game has timestamp 11/11/2002 1:31 PM.

Following the format of the thing under your avatar,

Display: 1366x768 (running game in 1280x1024)

CPU: Intel® Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB

Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Storage: HDD

Fluffy Cupcake

See this topic in regards to the whiteness you get with the boat: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Thanks for the specs! While I'm not sure how it helps, people ask for it all the time, so I just thought it would be good to have some. (I think people do that to know which specs have which problems, and if it is known to be solvable.)

Last modified time: They are the same as mine! At least I know we aren't working with different versions here. All I can say is something in your specs is causing you the crash issues with Freeway Freezy (odd how that was the only thing...), dunno what though. :/

While I'm not sure what the problem is, thankfully the game loads super quickly with the no cd method/patch you use so you don't have to painfully endure long load times!

intrepidowl

The loading definitely helps; I can get out (via crash) and back into the game in around 10 seconds :P

I haven't retried Freeway Frenzy. The last time I tried was right after I got onto the island. I might be able to play it though.

Will look into this thread because I have at least one of those problems so far, the undersensitive mouse, since I haven't gotten far enough to see the others on the list.

UPDATE: I used the Intel Graphics Control Panel to limit my FPS (under 3D >> General Settings: Custom Settings >> Vertical Sync: On) and I've actually been able to recover my original save! There's a noticeable improvement in the billboard activities, I think previously the framerate was too high at all for most of them. Only downside is that it gets a bit jittery, but it's not bad.

@[member=intrepidowl] I'm glad the patch works for you! :D

As for the "boat whiteness" so called, it is created by a super-high frame rate. I did not know VSync fixed that, but I'm glad it did for you. I will have to test it myself soon. :)

Oh, and if you ever need a save with the licenses already achieved, I uploaded a save >here. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.