Vector Raiders

Jimbob

Vector Raiders

Vector Raiders is an overhaul mod I am working on for LEGO Rock Raiders. It's primary aims are to re-texture the entire game in a simple vector style, and to replace all the levels in the game with new ones. I may also look into other areas of modification, such as monsters, and plan on creating new music too.

So far I have nearly finished texturing the Rock biome, and created a draft for the first level, with some voice acting. There are some things that need looking over, for instance the Power Paths are too simple and I have used square Power Paths in place of round ones for the time being. Additionally I'd like to re-record my voice for Chief, and go over the first level's design again (I somehow muddled up the voices and objective).

You can watch a preview of the first level below.

http://youtu.be/RhHHA2UYdr0 [Dead]

My apologies that the GUI flickers, I'll try and fix that for the next recording. Also, that voice sounds nothing like me, I don't know what type of voice I was putting on... :P

Also, here's a little voice test I did for Chief.

Chief Voice Test [Dead]

Stay tuned for updates!

Downloads

Vector Raiders - Rock Biome

• Like 8

Looks really good! How complete is it (the texture pack)?

Thanks! All I am missing in the Rock biome is the roof from 1st person view (you can see the original texture when I enter that view somewhere in the video), all three of the seams, lava erosion (I doubt that'll be difficult, I may just use Photoshop with the current textures) and the round Power Paths. The rock textures take the longest.

I've begun texturing buildings too, although I couldn't find some of the Tool Store's - the tools are obvious but its grey base wasn't in the ToolStation folder.

Other than that I've only done the standard mouse pointer. I haven't released any downloads just yet as I plan on getting a substantial amount done first, sort of a motivation for me to get it done.

It's primary aims are to re-texture the entire game in a simple vector style

If I were you, I'd stop there for now. Yes, you want to make an overhaul mod, but have you seen how many attempt this and fail? I'd say take it piece by piece. First, do the textures, and see if you want to continue on. If so, make new music. After that, work on the VA. I like where there is going (the textures really give the game a different feel), and I want you to succeed. :)

It looks like you haven't done the rock crumble texture as well. You know, the one on the rubble once you finish drilling a wall? That one.

Thanks le. I do understand this, and hence I only put up two primary aims. The level overhaul is really just something I'll do in my spare time when I feel like it, though, and the other stuff comes afterwards once I've finished this, sort of the icing on the cake - but I have to make the cake first, as you said. :P

The rock fall textures aren't in the biome folders which is why I haven't done them yet, but I certainly will do. My current list is:

• Rock biome
  • Buildings
  • Pointers*
  • GUI buttons

That'll get the most common things sorted. Then I'll go into the finer details later on.

*Lucky for me, these don't scale, as when I made a 256x256 resolution one it obscured half the map. xD So I get to do some simple pixel art which saves a lot of time.

If I were you, I'd stop there for now. Yes, you want to make an overhaul mod, but have you seen how many attempt this and fail? I'd say take it piece by piece.

I agree, I say, when you finish the textures, release a biome. That way if you give up someway through it, all won't be lost.

• Like 2

If I were you, I'd stop there for now. Yes, you want to make an overhaul mod, but have you seen how many attempt this and fail? I'd say take it piece by piece.

I agree, I say, when you finish the textures, release a biome. That way if you give up someway through it, all won't be lost.

Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I'll focus on getting this biome finished first then.

I'm not sure whether to leave the textures at 512x512, or scale them up hugely, as they look pixellated in first person view. Is there some kind of point at which textures get too large for LRR/PCs to handle?

I've begun texturing buildings too, although I couldn't find some of the Tool Store's - the tools are obvious but its grey base wasn't in the ToolStation folder.

Did you try changing MAINtopOLD.bmp? Though the fact that it says 'old' makes me think it may be unused.... In which case, try changing some of the files in the World/Shared folder.

I don't know much yet, I just started getting into the retexturing thing literally yesterday.

Did you try changing MAINtopOLD.bmp? Though the fact that it says 'old' makes me think it may be unused.... In which case, try changing some of the files in the World/Shared folder.

I don't know much yet, I just started getting into the retexturing thing literally yesterday.

That's actually the file that I edited. But now that I have the stud texture made, I can quite easily go through and update all textures that use it, so I should come across the Tool Store's somewhere in there.

Thanks, I'll look through that folder.

• 2 weeks later...

Vector Raiders: Rock Biome

For my 1,000th post, I present to you the Vector Raiders Rock biome! This complete texture pack contains all the textures used in the Rock Biome.

It took many hours of drawing each individual rock to produce this, so I hope you enjoy the pwetty aesthetics. The textures are 1080p resolution (well, 1067x1067), so will look brilliant in close-up view too. Note that the shapes and colours aren't identical to the original textures, but they're close enough.

Download

Vector Raiders - Rock Biome

I highly recommend using Cafeteria with this mod and setting it to the highest resolution you can, for the best experience. The default resolution makes the textures look awfully pixellated.

Thanks to jamesster for his LU playthrough videos, which helped give me something interesting to watch while making the textures. :thumbsup:

Screenshots

Spoiler

gallery_5738_269_1055167.jpg

gallery_5738_269_1035994.jpg

gallery_5738_269_963905.jpg

gallery_5738_269_411792.jpg

gallery_5738_269_310906.jpg

gallery_5738_269_458183.jpg

gallery_5738_269_740980.jpg

gallery_5738_269_912739.jpg

There are a few textures I might go back and redo a bit, but next I'm going to work on the building textures.

gallery_5738_269_310906.jpg

I had a feeling when you said you were saving your 1,000 post for "something special", it was this. :P Just looking at the pictures, to me it gives the game a whole new feel. Three ears of corn rounds for Jimbob! :D

I think that's my favorite one. Good job.

Spoiler

Is it just my imagination, or does the ceiling look flat -- like a wall rising straight out of the tops of the cavern walls?

On 2/6/2014 at 1:51 PM, Cirevam said:

This feels like some Wind Waker up in here. Nice work.

On 2/7/2014 at 4:59 AM, le717 said:

I had a feeling when you said you were saving your 1,000 post "something special", it was this. :P Just  y looking at the pictures, to me it gives the game a whole new feel. Three ears of corn rounds for Jimbob! :D

On 2/7/2014 at 6:09 AM, Addictgamer said:
Spoiler

I think that's my favorite one. Good job.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :3

On 2/7/2014 at 6:09 AM, Addictgamer said:
Spoiler

Is it just my imagination, or does the ceiling look flat -- like a wall rising straight out of the tops of the cavern walls?

It rather does, yes... I guess that's because the Rock Raider is too far forward to show the ceiling itself, just the connection from the floor to the ceiling.

On 2/7/2014 at 6:54 AM, JimbobJeffers said:
Spoiler

It rather does, yes... I guess that's because the Rock Raider is too far forward to show the ceiling itself, just the connection from the floor to the ceiling.

Ah, I see, didn't notice the lack of actual ceiling I guess. That makes sense.

• 9 months later...

I somehow managed to miss the release of this biome, this looks amazing!!

Really high quality job on the rock biome.

Really hope you intend to do the other two to finish it off.

I somehow managed to miss the release of this biome, this looks amazing!!

Really high quality job on the rock biome.

Really hope you intend to do the other two to finish it off.

Thank you very much! I'm glad all the time I spent on it paid off. :)

I did recently start working on the buildings and nearly finished the Tool Store, perhaps once I've got a bit more free time I'll restart work on this.

Thank you very much! I'm glad all the time I spent on it paid off. :)

I did recently start working on the buildings and nearly finished the Tool Store, perhaps once I've got a bit more free time I'll restart work on this.

I think this in combination with the highpoly models would look excellent together.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.