Planetside 2

Cirevam

Hey guys,

Do any of you like first-person shooters? Do you like driving or flying, or maybe the scale of an RTS game? A bunch of us here on RRU have been playing a game that puts all of those together fairly well in an MMO package and it's great fun. It's called Planetside 2 and it's a free-to-play futuristic first-person shooter. Unlike most FPS games with online multiplayer, you're not restricted to 32 vs 32 fight on a tiny instanced map. This game supports over a thousand players per "map" simultaneously, and the maps are actually persistent continents with fights brewing 24/7.

We play as the New Conglomerate on the Waterson server and we have a small outfit of our own, [RRUn] for Rock Raiders United (fun fact, in the lore, the NC were construction workers and miners before the war). By small, I mean we have less than a full squad. It's fun, but we can always have more RRU members on board as we have been expanding outwards into other games. Here's the current team in no particular order:

ftgsarge - dear leader

TheDoctor - runs the Teamspeak server

Cirevam

Acmex

Amauros

IceHusky²

If you decide to join, send a PM to me and I will add you to the Skype room. We use Teamspeak 3 for in-game communications, so get it if you have a microphone. And please note that this game requires a powerful computer. You're not going to have a good time playing on your mom's 8-year-old laptop running Windows XP.

You may also want to check out the official forums for what to expect as well as the subreddit:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/

I hope to see you on the battlefield.

• Like 2

Anywhere from Great Skywhale Migrations to trying to put 4 wheelers on top of planes, this game is fun.

10/10 would planetside again

This game... I want this game... I NEED this game. GIVE ME THIS GAME.

Ever since I saw an ad for it on Youtube, I've wanted to play Planetside 2.

However... Due to the WONDERFUL technology of this day and age, with all these Bluetooth and wireless gizmos out there, and Satellite Internet, I can't.

Why not? Because I have Dishnet satellite internet, which has an unfixable natural latency because some crap about the signals have to bounce off the satellites and such which causes a delay for things like gaming or whatever. Examples: Minecraft, I mine a block, but it doesn't actually mine until a few seconds later. GMod, I CAN'T EVEN MOVE.

So yeah, I love the game, I want the game, I can get the game, but I can't play it.

Do any of you like first-person shooters?

For the most part I do not.

....what? You asked, I gave an honest answer.

Then drive a buggy or fly a plane. There is more to do in this game than shoosting space communists and guys in spandex. The community has plenty of dedicated vehicle operators for those that don't like the infantry game.

Because I have Dishnet satellite internet, which has an unfixable natural latency because some crap about the signals have to bounce off the satellites and such which causes a delay for things like gaming or whatever. Examples: Minecraft, I mine a block, but it doesn't actually mine until a few seconds later. GMod, I CAN'T EVEN MOVE.

I'm assuming you live in the United States or a third-world country because everywhere else in the world has fast, accessible internet for reasonable prices. I honestly hope you get a better internet service soon.

Stuff I said

Stuff you said

That IS my better internet... Seriously we can't get anything else where I live. Everyone else around us has internet but us. Dish was the only company that said they could install internet at our house.

The Ace Railgun

Never heard of Planetside let alone it's sequel, as I mostly play puzzle games and have only touched two FPS games in my life, I might give it try though as I always enjoy a good midair Dog-fight.

Giving a quick skim of the website and wiki page, this actually looks pretty epic. The visuals are enticing, and by the sounds of things so is the gameplay. I'll download it and try it out (if there's an option for singleplayer testing, or just some public world to try out), if I like it then I'll join in here.

Oh, and if it's possible, I'd love to be an Infiltrator. That's my class of choice in every shooter game.

Seriously we can't get anything else where I live. Everyone else around us has internet but us.

Are you me? Seriously, Not a single phone or cable company will run a line back to our house, so the only option we have is Satellite, which is ungodly expensive. But it seems that all of our neighbors have internet somehow. And won't share.

And yes, Cirevam, this is in the US. Lucky us.

• Like 1

I'll download it and try it out (if there's an option for singleplayer testing, or just some public world to try out), if I like it then I'll join in here.

Oh, and if it's possible, I'd love to be an Infiltrator. That's my class of choice in every shooter game.

There are no bots and no single-player. It's pure PvP. There is, however, a training zone where you can try out everything the game has to offer. It doesn't compare to a real fight though, but it's at least something. And I'm not sure what you mean by public world.

Infiltrators in PS2 are basically snipers with self-cloaking devices. You can get an SMG instead of a sniper rifle for them if you want, but it will take some time. They can also hack enemy terminals and base turrets, and the devs are thinking about vehicle hacking and a remote-control recon drone as well. If you start soon, you can get used to how everything plays and by then a new wave of fun toys will be ready for you.

By the way, I changed the link in the first post to a referral link. You will get a sort of starting package if you use it, which is recommended because gaining certs (the game's currency) can be a bit rough when you're just starting out. It's a free weapon and an XP boost, I think. Just something to ease the growing pains...

I'm assuming you live in the United States or a third-world country because everywhere else in the world has fast, accessible internet for reasonable prices.

Except Canada. We have some of the WORST wireless. 

Edit: DID I JUST HIT A THOUSAND POSTS WITH A MENTION OF CANADIAN CRAPPY WIRELESS? I THINK I JUST DID.

I recently started playing PS2 again

I had to read this several times before I realized that PS didn't stand for Playstation. I feel dumb now.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Well, my primary is TR... and Waterson is now part of Emerald... but I do have an extra slot I can use.  Sign me up!  I respect NC, they have good guns and don't wear ridiculous clothing :P

We're probably not going to play again until the Valkyrie is released as Emerald is going through growing pains, Dwarf Fortress and KSP are being/have been updated, and I'm dealing with a ton of IRL stuff right now. All of that will probably be cleared up in a month or two. That doesn't mean you can't prep your character in advance...

We're probably not going to play again until the Valkyrie is released as Emerald is going through growing pains, Dwarf Fortress and KSP are being/have been updated, and I'm dealing with a ton of IRL stuff right now. All of that will probably be cleared up in a month or two. That doesn't mean you can't prep your character in advance...

Locking and loading. I'll be gone in early August, but after that, I should be good :D

MaelstromIslander

I like planetside 1 more than 2, because in 2 its just ridiculous because the developers are greedy.

I think the better gunplay, improved vehicle physics, increased population cap, better framerate, and shinier graphics are weighed just a little bit more than the option to pay for a camo or silly hat.

• 1 month later...
MisterGryphon

I can't run this game except at 30FPS with constant drops to 15-20. it's a lot of fun, I just wish it ran on my computer

lol username

Hollis/cdmpants plays this sometimes I think. Hollis should make some use of his RRU account and play with you guys and stuff - it'd give me a bit more of an excuse to try the game myself. :P

• 3 years later...
  • Cyrem unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.