Adventurers Cartoon?!?

emily

I was looking through this Brickshelf gallery and I came across this.

This was surprising, to say the least. I can't find anything else relating to it. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Like 7

Quisoves Potoo

Yet more variations in naming and name-spelling for the Adventurer characters. It's almost some sort of surreal sine qua non for the franchise.

It gives an added meaning to the lower left-hand button in this picture: '>

EDIT: A 1999 Amazon review of the "Sphinx Secret Surprise" uses the monikers given in the magazine advert, ableit using the more common "Pippin Reed" spelling. http://www.amazon.com/Lego-System-Adventurers-Series-Sphinx-Surprise/product-reviews/B00000JH56

However, this is the only other mention I could find of those names with Google, and the reviewer may simply have been using that advertisement as a reference.

Further searches proved futile. The cartoon definitely seems to have been cancelled. Perhaps it was spawned by Project Darwin, like the David Legoman Show. The timetable is right for that.

EDIT: Curiouser and curioser... The set refered to as the "Lobster" seems to have been released under the name "Sea Scorpion." A quick examination of the Stingray boxes on Bricklink yields no sign of the Aquazone logo either, though that may be of no significance whatsoever. Did this advertisement ever see the light of day?

Yet more variations in naming and name-spelling for the Adventurer characters. It's almost some sort of surreal sine qua non for the franchise.

It gives an added meaning to the lower left-hand button in this picture: '>

EDIT: A 1999 Amazon review of the "Sphinx Secret Surprise" uses the monikers given in the magazine advert, ableit using the more common "Pippin Reed" spelling. http://www.amazon.com/Lego-System-Adventurers-Series-Sphinx-Surprise/product-reviews/B00000JH56

However, this is the only other mention I could find of those names with Google, and the reviewer may simply have been using that advertisement as a reference.

Further searches proved futile. The cartoon definitely seems to have been cancelled. Perhaps it was spawned by Project Darwin, like the David Legoman Show. The timetable is right for that.

The sheer number of alternate names in the theme is definitely remarkable. It's something that it shared in common with a lot of themes of the time, but I don't believe any of them had quite so many different examples as Adventurers, nor were they applied nearly so interchangeably.

I'm fairly certain that the names used for the cartoon ad are all the standard UK names for the characters during the original 1998 release. I had assumed it was "Slyboots" over there, but I recall someone calling him "Snake Boots" out of the blue in a comment on Brickset once. It seems possible that the person may have been misremembering "Lizard Boots," in which case there would be a precedent for the name being used at least somewhere.

The cartoon may have been cancelled, but from what I've found so far there isn't a ton of documentation as to what was airing on Cartoon Network around this time. Obviously actual shows are remembered and have been preserved, but a promotional series of nine parts that likely only aired once may have slipped through the cracks. It is possible that it was only a series of shorts that ran during commercial breaks, much like the Exo-Force series from 2006. In that case, it will be virtually impossible to find.

The set refered to as the "Lobster" seems to have been released under the name "Sea Scorpion." A quick examination of the Stingray boxes on Bricklink yields no sign of the Aquazone logo either, though that may be of no significance whatsoever. Did this advertisement ever see the light of day?

I thought it was released as the Stingray Lobster... after all, scorpions don't live underwater and the crafts were named after aquatic animals...

Either Lego doesn't care about NZ or things were different here...

</offtopic>

If I actually had a TV, that would be the one and only thing I would watch. :P

• Like 1

I went through rec.toys.lego hoping to find something, but unfortunately they only ever mentioned the bit from the magazine we already have - nobody even observed the really strange fact that the magazine doesn't specify a time of day for the cartoon to air. I did find this, but it seems more likely to be an echo of that thing that turned into LEGO Island 2 than to be related to this at all.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the two-year bump, but... we have proof this actually existed!

Sorry to bump a dead topic but i've been searching online for the Lego Adventurers TV show I remember from when I was a kid and this is all I could find about it. It had been driving me a bit nuts to not find ANY mention of it anywhere else and I almost thought I was imagining it.

The show did exist was was broadcast on Cartoon Network in the UK. I was obsessed with the Adventurers Egypt sets when I was about 8 years old and loved the show, although I was only occasionally able to see it.

The episodes were really short (probably less than 1 minute long) and aired between other cartoons for a few weeks. This created the problem that the story was usually broadcast out of order. There was a special omnibus featuring all the episodes put together, but I only saw it once. It was really exciting when I did see it though!

I can't quite remember how it was animated, but I know it wasn't a 'cartoon'. In my head, the story was told using a montage of still images of the Adventurers sets, with voice acting over the top. However, there might have been a bit of camera movement like in this commercial, I'm really not sure: 

The characters had names like that magazine scan suggests. Johnny Thunder was called Sam Grant in it - in fact, I knew him as Sam Grant before I saw the name Johnny Thunder in a tie-in book, and I always preferred it. Evil Eye was the baddie. The 'Lizard Boots' character is confusing me - I always remember the show referring to Slyboots as 'Sam Sinister', but I might be wrong. Pharaoh Hotep was in it. I can't remember the actual storyline at all.

Hope that's helpful to anyone else here. To be honest, the show could've been really bad, but I remember liking it. 

I wonder if anyone knows how to find out who worked on it, or if an old copy that someone recorded on VHS will ever turn up. I doubt it.

(highlighted the important-looking bits)

:D 

• 5 years later...

Some names I remember were Sam grant, Harry cain, Evil eye and Lizard boots. There was a short stop motion series on cartoon network I only seen a few episodes the were only a few minutes long and seemed to be randomly on during adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.