LRR Map Expander

Alcom Isst

So, after spending a little over three months in a programming introductory course that focuses on C, I decided to use my new abilities to make a modding tool. More specifically, a modding tool that increases the size and boundaries of .map files and modify the accompanying .ol file to match. I never actually asked if we already had a tool like this, I wanted this to be something of a surprise Christmas present for RRU. I did scan the RRU forums and investigated the LRR Map Creator and found nothing that increases the size of maps, so I proceeded. Although I would have proceeded anyways, as this is a major item in my mini-portfolio to RIT's IGM (Interactive Games an Media).

The purpose of this tool is to grant LEGO Rock Raiders modders the ability to expand the size of their maps. This allows modders to repair the common error of maps having borders that are too thin, and add new areas beyond the current border of the map.

Anyways the result of my efforts:

LRR Map Expander
LRR Map Expander source code

Features

• Ability to handle all .map files and the .ol file if they have the same names as files exported by Map Creator v0.9.8.
  • Ability to increase the width and height of the map by the same integer.
  • HeightMatch, which aligns the height levels of the expanded borders with the map's center.

Not included

• Ability to handle appropriate files with names different from those exported by Map Creator v0.9.8
  • Ability to increase the width and height of the map by different integers.

Known bugs

• None.

I remember when you asking about accepting multiple user input values in one input prompt a few months ago while you were taking that C programming class. Never occurred to me you were planning on writing a modding tool. This is such a simple tool, yet the void it fills is great. You'll probably give some of the other programmers a "Now why didn't I think of that!" moment when they see this. :P Good job, Alcom! :D

O.T.
I see you found a new file sharing host. ;P

Yay! Thank you for this tool! This is really a great relief for people who create maps and realize that there is not enough space to finish it! I always wanted Cyrem to include this in his map creator

but now this tool can make it! Thank you soo much, a beautiful Christmas gift!

• 3 months later...
RockRaiderWolf

Quick few questions.

1. Can it expand maps to be larger than 100 by 100? 
  2. If so will it still work in the map creator and/or game?
  3. Is there a maximum size?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.