Kingdom Come

McJobless

Prologue

Every day is a new adventure. Every breath we take could potentially send us right into the void of space and time, to a realm far beyond human understands where all has happened becomes irrelevant, and all that will happen has no meaning. In a single millisecond, so many variables change that we are the sum of billions of calculations a minute, riding a giant rock flying through the vast and dark coldness of space. And yet, to be human is to forget yourself in the moment, and focus on only what's important.

What a great thing none of us are human.

Chapter One - The Cycle

RRU Corp. A giant civilisation under the guise of a "business" within its own state of Australia. Leading provider of data solutions. Antique collecting and restorations. Loony bin for the criminally insane. Having the great privilege of working there is like being handed the keys to a zoo, only too find out that you're working with a pack of monkeys; insanity breeds. Thankfully, insanity is one of the great commodities traded within RRU Corp, among other meaningless properties. Labels have no meaning when everything starts burning.

My name is McJobless, and most of those fires are caused by me. Recently promoted to Editor, and renown for being the main generator for RRU's second most precious resource; flames. I dish it out hard and fast. It's the only way to survive amongst the constant rage of RRU's giant wheels that are the rest of the community. Of course, some might disagree, but we can cover them later.

Every day starts the same way; the new kids on the block run one step in the wrong direction, and the flood of alarm bells ring. Waking up is a slow, annoying process, especially considering how heavily wasted I usually get every night. Sometimes it's the only way to get past every horrible action that goes on in the seedy underbelly.

My room is nothing particularly fancy; a simple desk setup with a bed nearby, some drawings on the wall and computer parts scattered everywhere. It's not uncommon to find the occasional missing LEGO brick right where you least want it; under your foot. Organisation and cleanliness are the least of my concerns, though, and especially after clearing away the entire hanger that used to occupy my floor, things have become increasingly more simple and slow-going; a side-effect of maturation, no doubt.

Entering the elevator, one can always be greeted with a few "friendly" greetings from other employees; if Joe decides to wake up, he's usually touchy-feely, to the detriment of Zeph. Antillies sits in the back, waiting for somebody to mess up before he slams them with a bout of logic and common sense, something lacking in the RRU commodity pool. Jamesster tends to be fairly useless, having spent most of the night before devoting his little sanity left into producing a parody that will rip the world apart. Alcom is Alcom. Other members sometimes come and go, but the classics seem to stand far above the crowd, none moreso than Cirevam the Omnipotent; likely due to some ancient ritual he performed after being ordained by the now-retired Cyrem.

We ride that single elevator down to Level 2, the main working level. The atmosphere in this level is mostly oxygen, but occasionally somebody'll pump something a little more potent into the mix, just to see the results. The space itself is fairly open, with each person regularly swapping desks in favour of one day finding the "perfect spot". Considering that the RRU building is more like Howl's Moving Castle than a stationary thing built to purpose, it's unlikely one would ever keep such a spot for longer than the time it took to claim they found it.

We all get on with out work, which mostly consists of file research, posting, moderation and so on. A pretty relaxed day of work, if you're not me. Of course, by this time, eyes are all staring at me; the regular members are ready to see the most exciting thing that'll happen all day, the moderators are standing-by with hammers and first-aid kits in case the fire rises, and Cirevam sits in shadow, deciding on what side-burn wax would suit him best. Frankly, he's got better things to do than deal with petty online arguments.

Justice is swift, and a flood of animated images tends to shut the new kids up fast. They work on Level 1 for protection, away from the majority of the other members who openly celebrate every tiny victory over the League of Mind-Numbing-Failures. Most of them don't survive long; the shock of being hit by a wall of fire tends to send most of them away. Some braves souls fight back, but it doesn't last long. Needless to say, I've done this for a long time.

The mornings pass quickly after that. Inactivity is regularity. Most of the day's work is done within the first few hours, and the rest are spent partying or organising raid parties on places such as LNA. It's easy to pick on those who make themselves targets.

The hours pass by. Addict pops in with his Linux-for-Life speeches, and others listen in trance, wondering what would be good for lunch. It's not uncommon for science discussions to rage, alongside just about any other topic; just be careful on what you say, though. There's many a sore point between members, such as telling Antilles about why Breaking Bad is better than Game of Thrones, or telling Le that he sounds exactly like Spongebob, to the point where one might actually think he is the voice actor.

Eventually, many head back up to their levels and sleep. Some are in the barracks, others have purchased real estate. It's not much, but it's home, and with an interest rate of 1000%+ (courtesy of the Imperial Bank), you better damn well like it. The rent is expensive, but it's better than being lost in an eternal loop of pitch-black space.

Most days run like this; a cosmic cycle that never breaks, except when things go to their absolute worse. Unfortunately, that happens quite regularly, and the moderators have a code for it.

"Drama."

Little did I know that the next day, I would be dragged right into the bloody middle of it. Welcome to RRU.

IT HAS BEGUN.

This is a real piece of work, McJ. A bit of inconsistency in grammar, but nothing too bad. And it pretty much sums up what RRU is.

Can't wait to see more. Maybe even chapters from other members...?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.