Animated Menu Backgrounds

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

This is very similar to the run DR and LR2 with extracted archives tutorial created by JJMB, so I will be borrowing the first half of the steps: (I hope you don't mind JMMB!)

Step 1:
Download a hex edit. If you already have one, go to step 2, if not, really any hex editor will work, but I often use HxD.

Step 2:
Go to you LEGO Racers 2 install directory.

Step 3:
Make a backup copy of the game executable, then open the executable in your hex editor of choice.

Step 4:
Open you hex editor's search feature. In HxD, it's under Search > Find.

Step 5:
Make sure you are set to search hex values. In HxD this is done by setting Datatype to Hex-values.

Step 6:

Use a Go To Offset [relative to beginning of file] feature and go to 141409

OR

In the search box, enter the following string:

47 61 6D 65 20 44 61 74 61 5C 46 72 6F 6E 74 65 6E 64 5C 42 61 63 6B 67 72 6F 75 6E 64 5C 25 73 5C 42 61 63 6B 25 73 31 2E 74 67 61

Once you get there, replace the last 3, 74 67 61 (also known as tga, you may see it say this in your editor) to 69 66 6C, which is ifl.

Step 7:
Go to GAME DATAFRONTENDBACKGROUNDPC and create an .ifl file (a txt file pretty much) for each existing .MIP material file there and refer in it what textures will be used (go ahead and make new textures if you like!), else you will get a plain white background in game because it is now refering to the ifls for its data instead of the .tgas.

O.T.
To get an example and understand how .ifls work, see GAME DATASANDY ISLANDTEXTURESWATER ANIMWATER ANIM.IFL

This is kinda epic. What could be used for though?

I realized that instead of writing ifl you could put any other file extension like png. Does that work in game?

Fluffy Cupcake

This is kinda epic. What could be used for though?

I realized that instead of writing ifl you could put any other file extension like png. Does that work in game?

JrMasterModelBuilder

(I hope you don't mind JJMB!)

Me too, whoever JJMB is, but I'm sure JMMB won't mind. :P

Anyhow, this is pretty neat! Too bad these things are hard-coded.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.