RRU Minecraft Server

Jimbob

"The aim is to defeat the Ender Dragon first."

Might I propose that we ax the first win condition?  I believe the first few Mindcrack UHCs were co-perative rather than competitive, thus the goal of killing the dragon together.  I would imagine the latter would be more suited for our needs.

Edit: Quoted the correct bit. lol

"The aim is to defeat the Ender Dragon first."

Might I propose that we ax the first win condition?  I believe the first few Mindcrack UHCs were co-perative rather than competitive, thus the goal of killing the dragon together.  I would imagine the latter would be more suited for our needs.

Edit: Quoted the correct bit. lol

Sure, I think that would be the better option too. I simply wasn't sure what type of game to play seeing as there have been a few different types played (at least that's what I think I read).

If you've seen any of the videos yourself, how long roughly do you think a round would last? I'm just wondering if this is something everyone could join in and play at once, or something that can be played out over a few days with people dropping in and out.

EDIT: The rules have been updated; I've added a link to them in the original post for ease of access. Let me know if there's anything else that can be changed. :)

... Ok when I said I didn't care what happens with the server, I didn't take in account my main problem. I can't do anything PvP. Not because I suck at it because I don't, but I completely forgot that I use satellite internet, which has a naturally high latency which can't be fixed, which makes just playing on the server now bad enough: Blocks don't break/place right away (like 2 second delay), attacking mobs sucks cause when I swing my sword, the hits get delayed for me, but their attacks are real time, giving them a chance to kill me before my attacks register.

Now things like moving and jumping work fine in Minecraft. However, trying to play GMod online, due to the latency, I can't move at all. Moving delays are like 4 seconds.

Anyway, I've gotten used to the server, and what to expect when using satllite internet, but anything PvP, especially this you are all talking about, I don't stand a chance.

So I'll just sit back and let you guys do your thing.

If you've seen any of the videos yourself, how long roughly do you think a round would last?

I have, quite a few in fact. It depends on the round but they're definitely on the long side. I would say a one hour game would be considered short but they shouldn't last longer than four. Normally what happens when it begins to draw long and there are only a few remaining is that people will tend to meet up and "duel" so as to not unnecessarily prolong the game.

We could potentially space it out over chunks of time but there would have to be a system in place to ensure that everything remains unchanged in between breaks. Generally speaking though - if the time can be allotted - its better for the experience to do it in one sitting rather than over a few days. The tension in some ways makes the experience and that can dissipate if its broken up.

That said, there are some ways to control the length from going too long. Map size is certainly one factor. There could also be a time limit and if the game is still ongoing after the timer has expired, you could either declare the person with the highest number of kills the victor or have everyone meet at the center for a free-for-all or some other sort of determinant activity.

... Ok when I said I didn't care what happens with the server, I didn't take in account my main problem. I can't do anything PvP. Not because I suck at it because I don't, but I completely forgot that I use satellite internet, which has a naturally high latency which can't be fixed, which makes just playing on the server now bad enough: Blocks don't break/place right away (like 2 second delay), attacking mobs sucks cause when I swing my sword, the hits get delayed for me, but their attacks are real time, giving them a chance to kill me before my attacks register.

Now things like moving and jumping work fine in Minecraft. However, trying to play GMod online, due to the latency, I can't move at all. Moving delays are like 4 seconds.

Anyway, I've gotten used to the server, and what to expect when using satllite internet, but anything PvP, especially this you are all talking about, I don't stand a chance.

So I'll just sit back and let you guys do your thing.

That's really unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that DM. :( I'm not really sure what else to say, other than it's good that you can at least join in the current server, to some extent.

If you've seen any of the videos yourself, how long roughly do you think a round would last?

I have, quite a few in fact. It depends on the round but they're definitely on the long side. I would say a one hour game would be considered short but they shouldn't last longer than four. Normally what happens when it begins to draw long and there are only a few remaining is that people will tend to meet up and "duel" so as to not unnecessarily prolong the game.

We could potentially space it out over chunks of time but there would have to be a system in place to ensure that everything remains unchanged in between breaks. Generally speaking though - if the time can be allotted - its better for the experience to do it in one sitting rather than over a few days. The tension in some ways makes the experience and that can dissipate if its broken up.

That said, there are some ways to control the length from going too long. Map size is certainly one factor. There could also be a time limit and if the game is still ongoing after the timer has expired, you could either declare the person with the highest number of kills the victor or have everyone meet at the center for a free-for-all or some other sort of determinant activity.

I think arranging a four-hour game shouldn't be difficult to organise, and as you said the experience would be better that way.

I can look into limiting the map size (in fact I'm pretty sure the UHC plugin has an option for that), and the options you said for ending a round all sound good.

I still don't quite understand the PvP part, though, if you don't mind me asking you another question. If it is enabled, I can imagine players killing the Ender Dragon together before stabbing each other in the back to become the last man standing, unless that's the idea. :P

This UHC thing sounds interesting. I would like to join it, too.

My time zone: UTC+1

I'll add you to the list now, glad you can join. I'm sure six players is enough but more are always welcome!

Need some action, I'll join the UHC too.

UTC+1

Bad-a-bam, you're in.

Seeing as all time zones are UTC-7/8 and UTC+0/1, are those in the former time zone okay playing in the morning/at lunch, and those in the latter time zone okay playing in the afternoon/evening? Four hours may overlap meal times in such a scenario so that's something to consider.

EDIT: Maybe we could do a three hour game? For example, the following could be organised:

UTC-8:   10am -  1pm   - antillies, Segatendo

UTC-7:   11am -  2pm   - The Ace Railgun, LUModder

UTC+0:    6pm -  9pm   - JimbobJeffers

UTC+1:    7pm - 10pm   - Arthuriel, RobExplorien, RR Rocks

The Ace Railgun

Weekends would work best for me, since I can usually only be online for about 20 minutes to an hour on the normal weekdays, but 3 hours sounds good and 11am-2pm is just fine by me.

Weekends would work best for me, since I can usually only be online for about 20 minutes to an hour on the normal weekdays, but 3 hours sounds good and 11am-2pm is just fine by me.

Great, that's two people who can fit in this time frame. I was expecting to play on a weekend, considering the age range of many of the people on this forum. ;)

I'll join, UTC-7

Great, I've added you to the list.

That's eight members now, I've never played with more than three or four at once... Is there significant lag after a certain number? I'm just wondering if perhaps there should be a player cap per round.

Oh, and merry Christmas to all of you :)

I still don't quite understand the PvP part, though, if you don't mind me asking you another question. If it is enabled, I can imagine players killing the Ender Dragon together before stabbing each other in the back to become the last man standing, unless that's the idea.

I'll try to provide a brief synaposis of what usually happens. At the start, players spawn around a central point (or at least we should, I'm not sure how the mod handles it exactly) but are spaced out quite a distance. What happens next is up to the individual player and their desired approach/strategy. To use a Starcraft analogy, players can try to rush (attacking players early) or tech (mining for resources in order to craft good equipment) or something in between. There are many ways to approach the game, some more creative than others and some with a greater chance of success, and its entirely up to the player.

Generally speaking, the standard way to play is the spend a good amount of time "gearing up" before you move out and try to find people. Players will want to mine:

-Gold; gold ingots are needed for golden apples

-Iron; for armor and tools

-Diamonds; for an enchanting table, tools (espeically a pick to mine obsidian), and potentially armor

The general goal is to get as much enchanted equipment as possible. Iron is standard but diamond is excellent. Mining has its dangers though. Because health does not regenerate, players have to be careful negotiating the various mobs so as not to take unncessary damage. If you lose half your hearts while fighting skelatons, that makes you that much more vulnerable to being attacked by other players. Diamonds are also extremely rare because mass strip & branch mining are prohibited and players will therefore have to find them within caves, mineshafts, villages, and temples.

The player will have to decide how long they want to mine (particularly in one location) and spend looking for gold/diamonds/other resources. Remaining underground - particularly at night - is generally safer in terms of keeping away from mobs than the surface so long as torches as used liberally. Staying in one location though can cause you to become easy prey for players who are either on the hunt or likewise looking for resources. Though having superior equipment has its obvious advantages, one must not discount the power of ambushes and catching other players unaware.

Players can also visit the neither in hopes of securing the ingredients for healing potions (to use in lieu or in combination with golden apples). The Nether has its obvious dangers though so one must be extremely careful. Its a huge risk that has the potential to yield huge rewards.

So, yeah. It's really up the player how they want to balance things and approach things both strategically and tactically (whether preferring ranged combat over melee or vice versa). I know in one Mindcrack round someone created a huge lava fortress in the sky that acted to shake things up.  As I said, the options are quite limitless but some are more likely to grant victory than others.

That's eight members now, I've never played with more than three or four at once... Is there significant lag after a certain number? I'm just wondering if perhaps there should be a player cap per round.

Eight seems plenty.  I know Bart was interested so I'll see if I can get him to post as well.  I'm not sure about lag.  I think some is to be expected so players will just have to account for it.  I guess we'll just have to see.

I still don't quite understand the PvP part, though, if you don't mind me asking you another question. If it is enabled, I can imagine players killing the Ender Dragon together before stabbing each other in the back to become the last man standing, unless that's the idea.

I'll try to provide a brief synaposis of what usually happens. At the start, players spawn around a central point (or at least we should, I'm not sure how the mod handles it exactly) but are spaced out quite a distance. What happens next is up to the individual player and their desired approach/strategy. To use a Starcraft analogy, players can try to rush (attacking players early) or tech (mining for resources in order to craft good equipment) or something in between. There are many ways to approach the game, some more creative than others and some with a greater chance of success, and its entirely up to the player.

Generally speaking, the standard way to play is the spend a good amount of time "gearing up" before you move out and try to find people. Players will want to mine:

-Gold; gold ingots are needed for golden apples

-Iron; for armor and tools

-Diamonds; for an enchanting table, tools (espeically a pick to mine obsidian), and potentially armor

The general goal is to get as much enchanted equipment as possible. Iron is standard but diamond is excellent. Mining has its dangers though. Because health does not regenerate, players have to be careful negotiating the various mobs so as not to take unncessary damage. If you lose half your hearts while fighting skelatons, that makes you that much more vulnerable to being attacked by other players. Diamonds are also extremely rare because mass strip & branch mining are prohibited and players will therefore have to find them within caves, mineshafts, villages, and temples.

The player will have to decide how long they want to mine (particularly in one location) and spend looking for gold/diamonds/other resources. Remaining underground - particularly at night - is generally safer in terms of keeping away from mobs than the surface so long as torches as used liberally. Staying in one location though can cause you to become easy prey for players who are either on the hunt or likewise looking for resources. Though having superior equipment has its obvious advantages, one must not discount the power of ambushes and catching other players unaware.

Players can also visit the neither in hopes of securing the ingredients for healing potions (to use in lieu or in combination with golden apples). The Nether has its obvious dangers though so one must be extremely careful. Its a huge risk that has the potential to yield huge rewards.

So, yeah. It's really up the player how they want to balance things and approach things both strategically and tactically (whether preferring ranged combat over melee or vice versa). I know in one Mindcrack round someone created a huge lava fortress in the sky that acted to shake things up.  As I said, the options are quite limitless but some are more likely to grant victory than others.

Eight seems plenty.  I know Bart was interested so I'll see if I can get him to post as well.  I'm not sure about lag.  I think some is to be expected so players will just have to account for it.  I guess we'll just have to see.

Wow, thank you for such an excellent run-down of the game, that's certainly cleared it up. I'll update the original post with this if you don't mind, so other people can get an idea too if they're not sure. As for the amount of players, I think I'll close this round's sign-ups and anyone else who wants to play can join in next round.

I'd like to join in too. GMT+1

I'll add you now :)

Give me a minute and I'll update this post with specifics on the round.

EDIT: The original post has been updated. Thanks again, antillies.

Now that the players for round 1 have been chosen, I might create a PM conversation for everyone to join, in which the timing and such can be further discussed to avoid unnecessary posting here. It's Christmas though, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Sounds excellent.

Thought I would provide this last bit of clarification of what constitutes branch mining.

Though that's just my impression of what branch mining is.  If we want to modify it, we can.  You can dig from cavern from cavern and pursue veins that appear in the course of doing so.  Obviously we have to use the honor system in this regard but I don't think that'll be much of an issue.

Thank you again antillies, I've added it to the first post. :)

A private message conversation has been sent out, ready for you all to reply.

Alright, I've been getting reports of vandalism on other people's properties on this server. I don't want to make the server seem too strict, such that it isn't enjoyable, but there are two very simple rules I've put in place to make it fun for everyone. Vandalism on another player's creation breaks Rule 1: Respect Other Players, and as such please do not partake in it, m'kay?

If you log on and find that your property has been vandalised, drop me a PM or talk to me in-game saying what time roughly, and I'll do my best to resolve the issue.

Thank you all for listening. :)

IT'S BUKKIT TIME!

I have installed Bukkit onto the server, along with a test plugin (Health Bars - I'll make a proper list of all plugins/mods used later). In order to join the server from now on, you will need to manually select version 1.7.2 from your launch console, as Bukkit does not currently support 1.7.3/1.7.4. That's not really much of an issue though unless someone here fancies broadcasting to Twitch.

As Health Bars wasn't a requested plugin, let me know if you'd like it removed. It simply temporarily displays the health of players/mobs during combat.

Fluffy Cupcake

In order to join the server from now on, you will need to manually select version 1.7.2 from your launch console

You almost make it sound like you have to select it every time, the last profile you selected is the last one you went on.

I can't test the plugin now, but I can do so much later today.

In order to join the server from now on, you will need to manually select version 1.7.2 from your launch console

You almost make it sound like you have to select it every time, the last profile you selected is the last one you went on.

I can't test the plugin now, but I can do so much later today.

Whoops, apologies for that, although I'm sure the current members can all work that out.

Also, to whoever is griefing the server: several players are getting very agitated about it, and it really needs to stop. Missing items (although these can and have been mistakes), in addition to placing and taking of random blocks, isn't acceptable on this server. It's meant to be a friendly place for the mature people of RRU to meet up, build, play and share their creations together*.

I will be temporarily shutting down the server soon and installing an activity reporting plugin. This will monitor every single action that players take (without impacting server performance, there shouldn't be any lag), and allow players to report griefing. If caught, I may have to ban griefers, which I really don't want to do... So please, stop it now, and enjoy the server along with the others, mkay? :)

*Furthermore, I know this isn't about me, but I do pay for this server out of my own money. Not nearly as much as Cyrem pays for this amazing forum, but it's still not fair that I'm paying for something that is being abused.

First of all, my apologies for making so many posts in this topic. But hey, I'm enjoying running this server, and I hope you're enjoying playing it. :)

For those who don't already know, a few new plugins have been installed. You can check out the original post for a list of them (it's a bit messy now...).

One plugin of note is Grieflog. It tracks everything everyone does - if you find someone has griefed your creation, stand by it and use the command /glog report. I can then find out who the culprit is.

Another plugin of note is Dynmap. The link to it is in the original post. Here's a screenshot from it:

gallery_5738_395_454157.jpg

Clearly people have been busy :P

Finally, I did look into all the previously requested mods, but feel kinda bad because I haven't installed any for the following reasons:

- Custom NPCs, More Player Models, Mystcraft, Portal Gun, Timber Mod* - Rejected as they 1) required Forge, and/or 2) are too game-changing**, and/or 3) are too outdated.
     - 3DMG Mod - Link wasn't working, and I couldn't find any information about it. :/
*I did search for a Bukkit alternative but that was outdated too.
**Several players have said to me they don't mind mods, so long as they don't change the server too much, seeing as it is a Survival server.

Happy mining!

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention. With so many players now, and because he is frequently online... The Ace Railgun has been made a Moderator! :D
  • Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

3) are too outdated.

Does ProperTime fall under this?

I'm asking because I did actually say:

It still works afaik, despite last update date.

Also, to whoever is griefing the server: several players are getting very agitated about it, and it really needs to stop. Missing items (although these can and have been mistakes), in addition to placing and taking of random blocks, isn't acceptable on this server. It's meant to be a friendly place for the mature people of RRU to meet up, build, play and share their creations together*.

I will be temporarily shutting down the server soon and installing an activity reporting plugin. This will monitor every single action that players take (without impacting server performance, there shouldn't be any lag), and allow players to report griefing. If caught, I may have to ban griefers, which I really don't want to do... So please, stop it now, and enjoy the server along with the others, mkay? :)

*Furthermore, I know this isn't about me, but I do pay for this server out of my own money. Not nearly as much as Cyrem pays for this amazing forum, but it's still not fair that I'm paying for something that is being abused.

Despite me not being involved with the server, I am still disappointed to hear of such disrespecting actions taking place, and here of all places! I'm sure this plug-in will help big time. :)

The server is whitelisted, correct? When the first report of griefing come in? Also, the live server map is a good tool in possibly finding out this culprit is. :) (I doubt it will be Samurai X or ShadoWind. Sorry Ninjago and Chima. :P)

3) are too outdated.

Does ProperTime fall under this?

I'm asking because I did actually say:

It still works afaik, despite last update date.

I just checked it and unfortunately it was last updated in 2012, sorry. :( If it was up-to-date, or there was an alternative, I'd be more than happy to add it.

-wall of text-

Despite me not being involved with the server, I am still disappointed to hear of such disrespecting actions taking place, and here of all places! I'm sure this plug-in will help big time. :)

The server is whitelisted, correct? When the first report of griefing come in? Also, the live server map is a good tool in possibly finding out this culprit is. :)

Well, I haven't had any reports of griefing since, so whoever was doing it - thank you for stopping. :)

It is whitelisted, but the reports of griefing came before any plugins, so I can't work out who it was. But there's no need, they've stopped so it's okay. I'm not going to go all Batman. :P

(I doubt it will be Samurai X or ShadoWind. Sorry Ninjago and Chima.  :P)

Wha- What? I don't even. What?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.