RRU Minecraft Server

Jimbob

I have so little to do these days without Minecraft

Freedom Planet

As always, still borderline with Minecraft interest. I have my eyes on Creativerse which the devs said are expecting to become F2P later this year, which, as far as I'm concerned, means out of early access too!

lol, well I've mostly been doing Roblox and LEGO Batman 3/The Hobbit to fill my need for creativity.

A more general question: How many users are still interested in playing Minecraft here?

Yes, I would like to see an RRU server again.

In-fact, its one of the few reasons I bought Minecraft in the first place; to play on an RRU server.

Would Minecraft Realms be an alternative (at least it looks easier to set up than your own server, although I don't know, how expensive it would be in the long run)?

There seem to be some limits though (like a maximum of 20 players can be invited and up to 10 players can play at the same time. Other than that is an upload limit of 500MB, which means, that only the survival world could be uploaded. On the other side this limit only applies to the upload itself, which means, that the world on the server has no space limit and you can export it later).

Sources: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Menu_screen#Minecraft_Reals and https://minecraft.net/realms

edit: I went through this thread again and JJ apparently recommended this page: http://minecrafted.net/ and that looks like a much better offer since you only have to pay ~2USD a month for the minimum configuration.

Edited by Arthuriel

Would Minecraft Realms be an alternative (at least it looks easier to set up than your own server, although I don't know, how expensive it would be in the long run)?

There seem to be some limits though (like a maximum of 20 players can be invited and up to 10 players can play at the same time. Other than that is an upload limit of 500MB, which means, that only the survival world could be uploaded. On the other side this limit only applies to the upload itself, which means, that the world on the server has no space limit and you can export it later).

Sources: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Menu_screen#Minecraft_Realms and https://minecraft.net/realms

edit: I went through this thread again and JJ apparently recommended this page: http://minecrafted.net/ and that looks like a much better offer since you only have to pay ~2USD a month for the minimum configuration.

Minecrafted seems like a good server provider, we should probably look into that one, especially considering that the min. config can hold up to 20 players.

What about a server where we try to rebuild places from Lego video games/ minifigures?

That would be borderline impossible due to the size of MC blocks and also WAY more work than what most people would be willing to contribute. We're not debating what to do with the server. We already have a map that we played on and I'm sure nobody would be willing to give it up.

Depending on how difficult that server thing is (I never hosted a server in my life) I might even try to pay one server (I wonder, if the 2GB version is only better, if you have lot of players or even when you only play with 3 or 4 people at the same time).

That Lego world thing could be done on the creative world, although personally I would prefer a server with the last survival map and then a server with the last creative map.

Note: I corrected the links in my last post, because they didn't lead you to the correct websites.

Edited by Arthuriel

Minecrafted.net looks like the best option to me. I can't seem to find anywhere in this thread where JJ ever mentioned how much RAM he had on the last server, but as a person who has a lot of experience with both lag and basic server hosting, I would be more inclined to suggest the 3GB option.

Edited by Sparks8805

I only remember something with "You would have to pay ~2USD per month for every additional GB RAM".

The server specs are here: http://rrucraft.proboards.com/thread/3/server-information-rules

I am not sure, how I should interpret the 2GB: Is that for the whole server, which means, that each world (creative/survival) only has 1GB or that each world has 2GB because of separate servers?

Edited by Arthuriel

I only remember something with "You would have to pay ~2USD per month for every additional GB RAM".

1GB server: $1.99 USD Monthly

2GB server: $3.98 USD Monthly

3GB server: $5.97 USD Monthly

4GB server: $7.96 USD Monthly

I am not sure, how I should interpret the 2GB: Is that for the whole server, which means, that each world (creative/survival) only has 1GB or that each world has 2GB because of separate servers?

I would have to assume that it meant 2GB for each server. 

Depending on how difficult that server thing is (I never hosted a server in my life) I might even try to pay one server (I wonder, if the 2GB version is only better, if you have lot of players or even when you only play with 3 or 4 people at the same time).

That Lego world thing could be done on the creative world, although personally I would prefer a server with the last survival map and then a server with the last creative map.

Note: I corrected the links in my last post, because they didn't lead you to the correct websites.

If you would be willing (and able ofc) to pay for the server, I would be more then happy to help you with some of the admin stuff.

I think in terms of a survival new map vs the old map we should keep the old map for now and wait till the next big game update to get a new one, I mean the update with shields and ender acid.

I think in terms of a survival new map vs the old map we should keep the old map for now and wait till the next big game update to get a new one, I mean the update with shields and ender acid.

There is no reason to renew the world for the update, so it won't happen, I'd think. The only reason for the new map we had was to separate the survival and creative servers. The only thing that would need to be done is that the end dimension needs to be reset.

Minecrafted.net looks like the best option to me. I can't seem to find anywhere in this thread where JJ ever mentioned how much RAM he had on the last server, but as a person who has a lot of experience with both lag and basic server hosting, I would be more inclined to suggest the 3GB option.

Just jumping in here, I know for a fact the server was only 1 GB of RAM. Use this information as you wish.

In my honest opinion, even though there were great builds on the server, I am perfectly ok and am actually preferring a fresh clean server. I like to think that the server we had was a chapter, and all of the servers we've had is a whole story. So, why not write a new chapter? Plus, I've got some crazy designs in my head if we do start fresh.

Well, the world files have been posted in this topic (somewhere...) and I also have the config files which can be given out upon request. Seeing as Phoenyx is happy for someone to take over, whoever's up for it just needs to download those files and ask me for the config files. Alternatively if the new host would like to start afresh, that's their choice to as the payer, but I imagine that if members want the original worlds then they aren't as likely to play on fresh ones and it could waste money.

As far as hosting itself goes, I can highly recommend Minecrafted.net as Arthuriel mentioned. I've used them for around six servers now and as long as you keep on top of your finances and can manage everything yourself (customer service ain't great), you won't have any problems. I say "keep on top of your finances" because:

1. The prices used to be double their current cost, but I was never notified of the change and continued to be charged the old rate.
  2. If you pay them via automatic subscription, you must manually stop the subscription yourself (e.g. through Paypal) should you wish to cancel the servers, as they won't. At least they didn't for me.
  3. If you're late on a payment you will be charged an overdue fee. If you're even later they will delete your servers, meaning the worlds are gone irrecoverably unless you had offline backups.

That may or may not sound like bad practice, but if you put it aside the prices are actually incredibly competitive and the servers have worked fine.

As far as RAM goes I used 1GB on each server initially. I believe that I switched to 2GB when the prices halved, but I can't recall exactly. You cannot host two servers (e.g. Creative, Survival) on one Minecrafted.net server, so you can't pay for a 2GB package and use 1GB on each server. Rather you'd need to pay for two separate servers. 1GB is plenty for up to 20 players at once ordinarily, but our servers got pretty busy with all the sky and floor builds which is why I upped it to 2GB.

Also, if the mods are okay with it, whoever the new host is should probably make a new topic for the server so that they can keep their OP updated. I can even transfer the dedicated RRUCraft forum admin rights over if you'd like too.

If anyone wants to know anything else, drop me a PM or quote me here so that I see it. :)

I would be ready and willing to admin a new server, but I can't afford to pay for it, unfortunately. If someone else could carry the costs of the server (or if we find some sort of community solution) I could take over admin duty, unless someone more skilled would be up to it obviously.

If it isn't possible to have one person run both a Creative and Survival server at the same time, why not have one host a Creative, and the other host a Survival?

Just suggeting.

Well, the day has finally arrived. The RRU Minecraft survival server will be up again not too long from now.

Thanks to the money provided by Arthuriel, I can host the server for at least half a year, possibly even longer. Intially I will only host the survival server, mainly due to the fact that activity on the creative world was limited at best, but I can consider hosting a creative server too, provided that someone can fund it and that demand is high enough.

If all goes well, the server will be up and running...

Tonight

I will post again once I can confirm a time for a reopening party.

Well, this all happened just as I was afraid of...overnight. I was going to make a grand announcement this afternoon, but last night, I did purchase hosting for the survival server. The IP has been set up, and I have already uploaded the server files. Wognif joined me in testing it last night, everything seems to be fine. The IP will probably be made public this evening, unless everyone would like to have a server re-opening party sometime soon.

Wow... that's some mighty inconvenient timing there. Damn. I don't really know what to say here. Maybe you shouldn't have waited with the announcement :/

Are you going to reinstate the old moderators or are you going to choose new ones?

Edited by RR Rocks

The only reason I didn't make an announcement right away was due to the fact that it was near midnight by the time that I was able to transfer all of the files and I probably couldn't have typed a paragraph if I'd tried. 

Are you going to reinstate the old moderators or are you going to choose new ones?

If the moderators from the previous server would still be interested in moderating, then sure thing.

The only reason I didn't make an announcement right away was due to the fact that it was near midnight by the time that I was able to transfer all of the files and I probably couldn't have typed a paragraph if I'd tried. 

If the moderators from the previous server would still be interested in moderating, then sure thing.

The moderators from before were:

Myself (JALTheComposer)

Xiron

RR Rocks

Fushigisaur

Ace Railgun

I'd be happy to moderate again, though I'm not sure of the others.

I also don't remember everyone's ign if they changed them.

Edited by Drill Master

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.