dead_name

I present for your modding pleasure, LR2DeveloperPatcher!
This allows you to run the game with your gamedata extracted, and removes the requirement for a compiled archive.

This performs the binary patch documented by JMMB
It has a built-in gamedata extractor.
This also supports Drome Racers.

REQUIRES .NET FRAMEWORK 4.
Version 1.1.5082.38337 (LATEST): LINK

Past builds:
Version 1.0.5082.30975: LINK

Changelog

(2013-11-30) v1.1.5082.38337
> Added backup feature. The un-patched executable will be moved to (name)-original.exe
> Fixed memory deallocation bug.

(2013-11-30) v1.0.5082.30975
> Initial version.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Nice! A sincle tool to make LR2 and LDR MOD ready! I've linked to it in both of my topics. Just 2 suggestions:

1. Making a backup copy of the original EXE might be a good idea, in case people want to revert back, they won't need to reinstall or get it off of their game CD. If the backup file also has the .exe extension, they could play with MODs and play the untouched game side-by-side.

2. The application doesn't appear to free the memory it uses during extraction. Not an issue for me, be people with limited resources might have it crash if they extract both games without restarting the patcher.

Also, I'm just curious and don't care one way or the other, but did you implement the GAMEDATA extraction in C# or bundle UNGTC into the patcher?

1. Making a backup copy of the original EXE might be a good idea, in case people want to revert back, they won't need to reinstall or get it off of their game CD. If the backup file also has the .exe extension, they could play with MODs and play the untouched game side-by-side.

Good call, I'll put this in the next version.

2. The application doesn't appear to free the memory it uses during extraction. Not an issue for me, be people with limited resources might have it crash if they extract both games without restarting the patcher.

Yeah, C# memory management with byte[]s is a bit of a mess. I'll look into it :)

Also, I'm just curious and don't care one way or the other, but did you implement the GAMEDATA extraction in C# or bundle UNGTC into the patcher?

I took the UNGTC source and ported it into C# :) In the process, I found a tiny bug in your code:

https://github.com/JrMasterModelBuilder/UNGTC/blob/master/ungtc.cpp#L410

Line 410, the later bytes of command might not all be there. That is to say, you might be near the end of gamedata_gtc and reading the later bytes for command might be going past the end of the data. I encountered this since C# has bounds checking on array accesses.

JrMasterModelBuilder

I took the UNGTC source and ported it into C# :) In the process, I found a tiny bug in your code:

https://github.com/JrMasterModelBuilder/UNGTC/blob/master/ungtc.cpp#L410

Line 410, the later bytes of command might not all be there. That is to say, you might be near the end of gamedata_gtc and reading the later bytes for command might be going past the end of the data. I encountered this since C# has bounds checking on array accesses.

Nice! Hmm, I guess that's possibly true, but I believe that would violate the GTC file format specifications. I think that could only happen with a corrupt GTC file. If that's not the case, let me know!

Nice! Hmm, I guess that's possibly true, but I believe that would violate the GTC file format specifications. I think that could only happen with a corrupt GTC file. If that's not the case, let me know!

It's not the case! I ran into it on my retail LR2 GTC :) It's possible the devs violated the specs as well, you know what programmers are like ;)

JrMasterModelBuilder

It's not the case! I ran into it on my retail LR2 GTC :) It's possible the devs violated the specs as well, you know what programmers are like ;)

Maybe I'm confused, what exectly is it doing wrong? Is/would it be reading past the end of the file or the end of each individual block?

Maybe I'm confused, what exectly is it doing wrong? Is/would it be reading past the end of the file or the end of each individual block?

End of the file. You're storing the GTC file in memory, in gamedata_gtc.data, which is a char*. In my C# implementation, I used a byte[]. When you populate 'command' on line 410, you read 4 bytes from gamedata_gtc.data, starting at gamedata_gtc.posi. My C# implementation does the same. However, it gets to a state where gamedata_gtc.posi+3 (line 413) is outside the length of the array. Since C++ doesn't have bounds checking, it simply reads from the address it has, taking whatever value was in memory. C# does have bounds checking and throws a nasty Exception unless you manually handle it.

JrMasterModelBuilder

I think I see what your saying, though I'm not sure why that would happen since it only reads while(gamedata_gtc.posi < end_of_block). Wouldn't that mean there is trailing data within the data blocks? Also, you said it's reading past the end of the file, so it happens only on the last block?

EDIT: origamiguy and I have determined that some compressed blocks (at least the last one), have 3 or fewer garbage bytes after them (not enough to mean anything, possible only to align the data blocks to some prefered offset, or maybe just no good reason what-so-ever). The memory being read by C++, while technically wrong, is actually safe to access and does not impact execution.

Does your C# port work the same way as UNGTC in terms of which archive format (LR2 or DR) you are using and extract to the same location?

Great work as usual, Will!

Fluffy Cupcake

Pros:

-Don't need to recompile

-Don't have to restart the game, just reload the room (like leave and come back).

Cons:

-Waiting for recompiling process

-Slower loading times

• 9 months later...

Where can we find models and cars that we created.  Cant seem to find the folders for them.  Second is it possible to put our characters that we make over existing characters?

Edit: so this is where the textures of our characters are stored?

C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaLEGO Racers 2game dataCHARACTERSHEADSTEXTURESPLAYER ONE ANGRY1 FACE.MIP 

for example?

So I can just rename it and put it over sparky and he will look like the character that I first created?  

And if I may ask where are the helmets/other headgear stored so I can edit other players I challenge if it is possible

Second Edit:  Okay so player one did not actually turn out to be who I expected him to be.  He is the buck tooth guy with green pants.  He is the first player you can choose in arcade mode other than your characters, so where is the players that you create data stored? This is what he looks like

2e1f5v7.jpg

They are all stored in the savegame file, not anywhere in the root files of the game. I'm not sure where (and I'm way too lazy to look for it) but there is a topic about how to save the own character's car (and figure) into the pre-built garage.

Edit: so this is where the textures of our characters are stored? C:Program Files (x86)LEGO MediaLEGO Racers 2game dataCHARACTERSHEADSTEXTURESPLAYER ONE ANGRY1 FACE.MIP  for example?

No, the textures - in general all the game files - never change at all, so why should the game save its own textures in another placeholder mip file? It is much easier to save the players' figure configurations in a savegame (that's the savegame's purpose) by referring to the existing texture files.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Don't think this is a bug, but I felt it deserved to be noted.

For my LR2 exe, patching the game without extracting the GTC renders the exe unusable. All it does is open, display a black screen for a second, then close. I don't think this is a bug because according to (my understanding of) JMMB's original post, you had to extract the GTC for the trick to even work.

If you want to check my exe to make sure it is not some variant, let me know.

• 10 months later...

Ok, so I've extracted the game data, and made my changes to the the car builder. But when I go to the game at that time, the game crashes. I'm assuming Theres another step i'm not aware of or I need a different program altogether for what I'm trying to do.

Fluffy Cupcake

What exactly did you do to the car builder? The game can be a bit sensitive on file names if you added any new brick/chassis in.

Fluffy Cupcake

DMP should work, so long as it actually said that the .exe was patched successfully. There really isn't much differences between the two aside from DMP letting you play with extracted files.

Anyhow, does this video help at all? http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/5166-all-brickschassis-all-the-time/?do=findComment&comment=96842
The video was created before DMP existed, so UnGTC was used*

Sweet lord, I just figured out what was wrong. I didn't open UNGTC first, while the 3  files were out of the game folder, meaning it couldn't extract them. God, the littlest things can make big differences eh? Anyway I should be able to get this working now. Thanks. =) 

Edited by Snivyguy80

• 6 months later...
johnnynilsson99

hm tried this mod pacher then when i start drome racers it goes back to the desktop without a reason. strange 

Fluffy Cupcake

What does your Drome Racers folder looks like, what files are in it? Does a Game Data folder exist and does it contain many many folders in it?

• 1 year later...
The Supar Shag

I've done what it says but I just get a black screen and then crashes, I don't know what went wrong, anybody help?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.