Cyrem

But I had this game on another PC, and ther it was simply full screen without modding. But I vergot how

Well.... of course the game will run in full screen without modding, but it will always be in 640x480, stretched to fit your monitor. If you want to change to a higher resolution, in-game will be changed, but the menu will always be like that.

• 2 months later...

I have no idea what I've done, but when I've started lego racers this window just showed up.

It's pretty cool though... It's seems like we can start the game with our own resolution and... stuff...

30245823.png

Did anyone else knew about it?  :gasp:

edit: I've just tested the resolution... the game looks like a blue box with a black frame. >>"

• 2 years later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Well that's neat, surprisingly Grapheme completely overlooked that. :P

I don't suppose there was anything else overlooked eh?

5 hours ago, lordtobi909 said:

Anyway, doing a little testing+research, the standard FOV for LEGO Racers is 65°.

Is the FOV 65 when in a 4:3 aspect ratio, or is the value calculated by the resolution?

EDIT: HOLD ON... This isn't in my .exe...

Where exactly is this?

lol username
2 hours ago, mumboking said:

EDIT: HOLD ON... This isn't in my .exe...

Where exactly is this?

It's in the 2001 exe and demo exe, I'd check my 1999 release but that's not installed at the moment.

1 minute ago, Terrev said:

It's in the 2001 exe and demo exe, I'd check my 1999 release but that's not installed at the moment.

I tested it with all the releases as well, and it didn't work for me on the 1999 release.

lol username
1 hour ago, lordtobi909 said:

Question is why would a FOV command be implemented afterwards?

As said, it works in the demo, which is from 1999. So it wasn't implemented afterwards - just apparently disabled for some reason in the 1999 release(s? There's some slight variation with those, but IIRC the only difference people found was with a single load screen every load screen except one - see below).

Edited by Terrev

My theory is that HVS, assuming this is the process for releasing games, handed LEGO a different version of the source code to their compiled build (maybe somebody was still updating it while another person was building what was already done?). In that scenario, future publishers would get the updated code to build from without realising the differences.

I'm probably wrong, but it's got to be something like that. I really doubt future publishers were annoyed by the game and implemented features.

lol username
32 minutes ago, Ben2x4 said:

My theory is that HVS, assuming this is the process for releasing games, handed LEGO a different version of the source code to their compiled build (maybe somebody was still updating it while another person was building what was already done?). In that scenario, future publishers would get the updated code to build from without realising the differences.

I'm probably wrong, but it's got to be something like that. I really doubt future publishers were annoyed by the game and implemented features.

An updated version of the game was released in 2001 - IIRC it was advertised as being more compatible with newer operating systems, but there were some in-game differences. Trophies appearing on drivers licenses were removed (maybe accidentally?), this sound effect was changed (possibly an audio bug that got fixed/introduced?), this hilarious bug was introduced, there's performance differences on some computers, and it can no longer run on the unpacked contents of the JAM file. And now apparently there's this difference with -fov too.

There's also apparently two versions released in 1999 - most 1999 releases seem to have blue borders around the track maps on loading screens, except for Pirate Skull Pass, where the map takes up the whole screen. But one guy here, Modded Lego, had a copy where all maps took up the full screen. In the 2001 version, all maps have blue borders. It's rather strange, as Modded Lego says his LEGO.JAM file has the same MD5 as the other 1999 LEGO.JAM files, despite the blue borders being part of the loading screen images in the JAM file, according to Will... So there seems to be some shenanigans going on there.

Then there's a thousand variations of releases with/without copy protection and stuff like that, but that's not particularly relevant to the core game.

Fluffy Cupcake

Did anyone ever mention that on either the 1999 or 2001 version you can drive up the Imperial Grand Prix shortcut reverse but in the other not? (I don't remember which).

CaptainGolem
On 20. 3. 2016 at 9:50 PM, Xiron said:

Did anyone ever mention that on either the 1999 or 2001 version you can drive up the Imperial Grand Prix shortcut reverse but in the other not? (I don't remember which).

On 21. 3. 2016 at 9:39 AM, lordtobi909 said:

You can in the 2001 (my) revision; heck, you can even go through the barrier from behind, no collision. Maybe we need someone to check the 1999 releases?

I checked both versions and I couldn't do it in the 1999 one.

On 20/03/2016 at 8:50 PM, Xiron said:

1999 version here, I can boost up it then go through the barrier from behind.

10 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Who wants to do a file comparison with all the tracks now? :af:

Only if you have a simple way to do that.

• lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.