Unused Arena

lol username

lol username

Replaced the WRL for the Array course with ARENA.WRL and launched the game with menus disabled in the config and AI raced enabled. Seems to be an early version of a GameCube battle arena.

• Like 5

JrMasterModelBuilder

Whoa! Great find! Also very confusing. It's like a race, but there doesn't appear to be a way to finish the race. Lets you get to lap 3/3 and keeps telling you wrong way, but never seems to finish. Also, the AI cars keep disappearing. Is this what the battle areas of the game cube version look like?

Also, this can be enabled from the just DEVELOPER.CFG by setting 'MapName = "Arena"'

lol username

Whoa! Great find! Also very confusing. It's like a race, but there doesn't appear to be a way to finish the race. Lets you get to lap 3/3 and keeps telling you wrong way, but never seems to finish. Also, the AI cars keep disappearing. Is this what the battle areas of the game cube version look like?

Also, this can be enabled from the just DEVELOPER.CFG by setting 'MapName = "Arena"'

The race not finishing (and being able to move before the "Go!" text) happens on any race launched with menus disabled. You can actually finish the race if you load it by [laying it as a standard race selected via menu (how I initially tried it). The AI is broken, and will reset if a certain number of checkpoints are missed (I think), but when they respawn, they do so under the map and get stuck in an endless loop of falling. It's been quite a while since I've played the GameCube version, but this is the general sort of design for the battle arenas, though they had lightmapping, a special vehicle (the Nitro Pulverizer) and power-ups in a wider variety of colors (though I don't remember what they did, I think each color led to a specific type instead of it being randomized or something like that).

There's also some other weird WRL files but I haven't tried them yet, except for one which crashes the game (I think it had to do with the Array track).

JrMasterModelBuilder

The race not finishing (and being able to move before the "Go!" text) happens on any race launched with menus disabled.

Ah, of course! I should have realized that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.