Classic Rocket Racer

lol username

So, the Rocket Racer helmet from his normal LR2 appearance is wonky - the decals are not one, but two separate textures, and the main body of the helmet is actually the basic white texture, but the model sets the material to be darker, more of a light grey. I toyed around with it for a while, but wasn't able to get it to look quite right. So I got rid of the original Rocket Racer helmet model, took the model for the white helmet for player characters, put it in the place of the Rocket Racer helmet (the UV map for that helmet doesn't allow for decals either, though, so that's still out), opened it up in a hex editor, and edited the file paths to make it use different textures. Then I found that the visor material needs to be given a skybox to reflect, so I had to make a new solid black skybox to get the proper effect...

rocket_near_final.png

Phew. I'm done for the night. Only step left is to add the other facial expressions. Then I'll put the whole lot up for download. It replaces the original textures for Rocket Racer's legs, torso, and head, replaces his head/helmet model, and adds several new files (the textures for his helmet, visor, and the skybox the visor material reflects). None of the existing minifigure pieces are replaced or modified besides Rocket's, so you won't have to worry about it messing up any NPCs or your avatar.

Now this is the Rocket Racer I love. Hopefully you can complete him soon and we can learn how to edit 3D models. I'd love to get the original Rocket back in here.

• 6 months later...
lol username

This is insanely cool!

Would you happen to know where the car's textures can be found?

GAME DATACAR CRAZETEXTURESCARS, but it's not as simple as editing those. The chassis model (and models for the other pieces) all reference the various common textures for blue, red, white, etc... You'd have to edit the chassis model in a hex editor to change what textures it uses, and also do similar stuff for the models for his car parts.
  • Like 1

Rocket Racer

This is insanely cool!

Would you happen to know where the car's textures can be found?

GAME DATACAR CRAZETEXTURESCARS, but it's not as simple as editing those. The chassis model (and models for the other pieces) all reference the various common textures for blue, red, white, etc... You'd have to edit the chassis model in a hex editor to change what textures it uses, and also do similar stuff for the models for his car parts.

Very interesting, thanks!

I'll probably play around with it for a while and see if I can figure out some sort of solution. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I just want to say, I made an account just to post on this.

I think the original RR was far better looking than the one in LR2.

Even as a 6 year old kid, I though "He looks so un-detailed" and "WHY CANT I PLAY AS ROCKET RACER AT ALL?"

You should have seen my face when I couldn't play as him or have his car after beating him.

As of right now, of course im older but sometimes I get the urge to play by childhood games. However my Disk wont install past 7% :/

If however a texture for the original Rocket Racer's car comes out, I will most likely re-buy the game off eBay or something.

Rocket Racer has always been my favorite minifigure, even if no official one came out, I Used to make my own drawings of his clothes and paste them on my 

own minifigures.

Thanks for posting this texture!

• Like 1

Rocket Racer

Hello, I just want to say, I made an account just to post on this.

I think the original RR was far better looking than the one in LR2.

Even as a 6 year old kid, I though "He looks so un-detailed" and "WHY CANT I PLAY AS ROCKET RACER AT ALL?"

You should have seen my face when I couldn't play as him or have his car after beating him.

As of right now, of course im older but sometimes I get the urge to play by childhood games. However my Disk wont install past 7% :/

If however a texture for the original Rocket Racer's car comes out, I will most likely re-buy the game off eBay or something.

Rocket Racer has always been my favorite minifigure, even if no official one came out, I Used to make my own drawings of his clothes and paste them on my 

own minifigures.

Thanks for posting this texture!

Have you tried installing the game in Windows XP (service pack 2) compatibility mode?

I had a similar issue, and that fixed it for me.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're using a 64-bit computer now and that you use Windows

Have you tried installing the game in Windows XP (service pack 2) compatibility mode? I had a similar issue, and that fixed it for me.   EDIT: I'm assuming you're using a 64-bit computer now and that you use Windows

Well, its more like the disk is mutilated with scratches, I wasnt the best at keeping them in the case back then.

Sucks, I already bought the game twice. I cant find my 2007 disk.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Have you tried installing the game in Windows XP (service pack 2) compatibility mode? I had a similar issue, and that fixed it for me.   EDIT: I'm assuming you're using a 64-bit computer now and that you use Windows

Well, its more like the disk is mutilated with scratches, I wasnt the best at keeping them in the case back then.

Sucks, I already bought the game twice. I cant find my 2007 disk.

There's actually a known issue with installing the game on computers with specific amounts of RAM. If you haven't tried the comatibility settings yet, you shoud. You could also try copying all the files from the CD to see if you can read the CD or not.

There's actually a known issue with installing the game on computers with specific amounts of RAM. If you haven't tried the comatibility settings yet, you shoud. You could also try copying all the files from the CD to see if you can read the CD or not.

Wait, I had to the compatibility settings because I was given the "Not enough memory" screen.

All I did was youtube the fix.

Would I be able to do the same? I never tried that before.

I use Win 7 if that helps....

Edited by killimaze

JrMasterModelBuilder

Wait, I had to the compatibility settings because I was given the "Not enough memory" screen.

All I did was youtube the fix.

Would I be able to do the same? I never tried that before.

I use Win 7 if that helps....

If you can successfully copy all the file on the CD to a folder on your hard drive, you should be able to burn them to a recordable CD or make an ISO from it and mount it, then install.

If you can successfully copy all the file on the CD to a folder on your hard drive, you should be able to burn them to a recordable CD or make an ISO from it and mount it, then install.

Ill see what I can do. Thanks for the tip.

I wounder if the Original RR car will be made in LR2. If I get it working, first thing I do is go back in the game's coding and allow RR's car for me to use.

Second thing Is to download this.

Its strange... I remember playing with the Xalax cars... on one walk through. And Rocket Racers's car replacing one of the Arctic cars...

But anyway, thanks.

(Am I making sense? I am 97% sure I did something like that)

Also I have this game for my PS2, ahh, I loved this game too much...

EDIT: I got my game to work, installed this mod, and BAM works well and looks great! Thanks for this!

Now only if I can remember how to play as RR and use the Ramas cars...

Edit 2: Now... Is there any way to use this texture for the player to use? Or is it only NPC re-skin?

Edit 3 (final)

Ok I toyed around enough and after I saw what you posted for Veronica Voltage, I understood what to do.

Before placing the Rocket Racer re-skin files in my directory, I renamed it to "player 3" for all of the files.

Now instead of Axle I have the original Rocket Racer to play with!

Thanks, I got what I was after. 

(Annnd now I wait to see if there ever will be an original Rocket Racer car texture. I dont think I could ever make one myself...)

Tidied up the topic a bit. Download link updated - the files in the zip can now be merged directly with extracted game data instead of requiring manual sorting. No changes to the files themselves.

• 8 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.