7:04 PM - Merdon: Jamesster

7:04 PM - Merdon: i just

7:05 PM - Merdon: found something great

7:05 PM - jamesster: what

7:05 PM - Merdon: the MIPs are just renamed tgas

7:05 PM - jamesster: but I ran them through hyperripper and it whs kjbadwhat

7:05 PM - Merdon: but the palette is bad

7:06 PM - Merdon: so they can be loaded in paint when changed to .tga

7:07 PM - jamesster: ok I can see the texture sorta but what's with these colors

7:07 PM - jamesster: seriously what

7:07 PM - Merdon: they are all green n s***

7:07 PM - jamesster: for me they're black, red, blue, and green

7:28 PM - jamesster: YES

7:28 PM - jamesster: AHAHA

7:28 PM - Merdon: uh

7:29 PM - jamesster: uncompressed TGA files can be renamed to MIP and the game loads them perfectly

7:29 PM - Merdon: you beat me to it

7:29 PM - jamesster: uncompressed, though - compression screws stuff up

7:29 PM - Merdon: mainly because i can't repack the gtc

test_texture.png

lego_racers_2_2013-09-25_19-29-33-66.png

JrMasterModelBuilder

How did you deal with the color issues?

Still can't repac my GTCs...

You will need to move your old GAMEDATA.GTC, COMPRESS.INF, and FILELIST.INF out of the way, it will not overwrite them.

I didn't. The MIP files right out of the game are weird, but standard uncompressed TGAs can be put in their place and loaded without a problem.

JrMasterModelBuilder

I didn't. The MIP files right out of the game are weird, but standard uncompressed TGAs can be put in their place and loaded without a problem.

Interesting, and great news! Photoshop and GIMP can open them properly at least.

Interesting, and great news! Photoshop and GIMP can open them properly at least.

I tried GIMP on a face texture, it was quite distorted.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Really? Which one? The ones I've tried opened perfectly.

Really? Which one? The ones I've tried opened perfectly.

I think it was Baron Rosso's happy1 face. I'll try some others later.

Fluffy Cupcake

Awesome find! Welp, time for me to get Gimp, finally. Glad I already have Rename-It! to bulk rename the file extensions so I can easily see what is what.

Edit: Distorted in GIMP for me too.

Edit 2: At least edits still work perfectly fine (I did mine in Paint.NET). I guess I can use the ripped textures as a reference if needed (as explorer still give a proper preview). And jsyk I was using textures from SANDY ISLAND.

Is there still stuff to be discovered about these textures (e.g. add transparency and leg texture asymmetry), or has Jamesster already done that (what hasn't he done yet to LR2 I had better ask). Mind as well try out some Space textures in LR2 then.

Is there still stuff to be discovered about these textures (e.g. add transparency and leg texture asymmetry), or has Jamesster already done that (what hasn't he done yet to LR2 I had better ask). Mind as well try out some Space textures in LR2 then.

I dunno about translucency, but cutout transparency should be possible, as I accidentally triggered it by giving the game a compressed TGA - it couldn't understand the compression and spat out a bunch of random colors, and some bits were cut out entirely. So the shader certainly supports it. The fronts of the legs (where the decals usually are) can be different from each other, but the sides and backs share the same texture space and thus have to be the same.

Fluffy Cupcake

For future reference, Irfanview loads the original MIP textures perfectly.

Nice. *gets*

Now if only it would stop asking me to convert the file to .tga when I open one............... setting found!

Edit: Just got a report from le717 that "As can XnView. With transparency"

JrMasterModelBuilder

Edit: Just got a report from le717 that "As can XnView. With transparency"

gallery_2686_215_12366.png

gallery_2686_215_14725.png

Using XnView MP, which is cross-platform, unlike Irfanview.

Nice finds! I found the problem with GIMP is only in the latest versions, I was running some earlier versions of 2.8 on Windows and Mac and both worked just fine. I wonder what the issue is.

It's WIP. The face needs to be downsized and the torso is a little off, also needs a text mod and a textbox icon. After these things are fixed, you bet it'll have a release! Without Jamesster, the hat wouldn't be possible. Big thanks to that hella bro.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.