Raiders Untitled

tmo7452

This looks great!

About your questions:

1) I think it'd be good to have a system where ore and crystals are localized by default, so separate bases have separate resource counts. In that case, there should be a building or something similar that allows easy transportation of resources, since you don't want to have to send transport trucks back and forth all the time.

3) I like the feature of LRR that raiders are able to cross corners between rocks that vehicles cannot cross.

Thanks for the awesome feedback and encouragement! We're still progressing in RU, we're just having to think through some things. I'm currently working on rendering optimizations, so there hasn't been much visible progress besides frame rate increases. Stay Frosty!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Will RU be OpenSource? I'm C++ developer and interested in this project. What's about a Github repo for RU?

Most likely. Right now I'd like to keep it closed, and Sparky and I are doing pretty well just the two of us. I plan to open source it once it's up to the level of the original LRR.

As for progress, mostly finished tasking system, raiders can self-task. Implemented "zones" so raiders won't get confused attempting tasks e.g. on the other side of a river, very reliable. Sparky got height mapping mostly implemented. The next thing needed to continue is an interface, it's a pain to write from scratch. I had to stop working on RU around October, but I'm going to pick it back up this summer.

As for progress, mostly finished tasking system, raiders can self-task. Implemented "zones" so raiders won't get confused attempting tasks e.g. on the other side of a river, very reliable. Sparky got height mapping mostly implemented. The next thing needed to continue is an interface, it's a pain to write from scratch. I had to stop working on RU around Sept, but I'm going to pick it back up this summer.

Although I have no commented on RU before, I was following the discussion, and I must say, this is great news! Keep up the good work!

I plan to open source it once it's up to the level of the original LRR.

Can you define "the level of the original LRR"? There are a few cave depths levels you could dig reach for in LRR.

tmo7452! It's good to hear from you, it's been some time. I'm pumped to get back to work on RU. :D

Can you define "the level of the original LRR"? There are a few cave depths levels you could dig reach for in LRR.

He means LRR's level of functionality. We're really not too far off, believe it or not.

He means LRR's level of functionality. We're really not too far off, believe it or not.

Interface, vehicles, monsters, sounds, models,  and *shudder* animations x_x. Once bug-checked, that will probably be the 1.0 release. Then on to events/triggers, multiplayer, campaigns, new stuff, whatever.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) y u change your name anyway?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Are you still developing this? Is it possible to test it?

I would love to help! I'm not a programmer, but I'm good at 3D and design.

If you still need an interface design, of if you need high quality rock raiders or updated versions of the vehicles and buildings, I would be glad to help :)

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't tell me the game was never finished or open sourced.

I've been thinking about doing a modern edition of the game.

I was planning to use Unity 3D with a Light Wave plugin to load the original models.

One thing that I think would be cool in the AI is to make Rock Raiders get in and out of  vehicles by themselves.

So that way they could drive somewhere, drill a wall, pick up ore, drive back.

This would make lava/water maps so much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Please don't tell me the game was never finished or open sourced.

I've been thinking about doing a modern edition of the game.

I was planning to use Unity 3D with a Light Wave plugin to load the original models.

One thing that I think would be cool in the AI is to make Rock Raiders get in and out of  vehicles by themselves.

So that way they could drive somewhere, drill a wall, pick up ore, drive back.

This would make lava/water maps so much better.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there has been an update to it in over a year, and no he didn't open source it, so we can't continue his work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God's not dead, and neither is RU.

-snip-

Pepper must have been there ... and shouldn't have pressed >Enter< in the proximity of important buildings  >.<

• Like 2

The flower Tool Store object is facing the wrong way! Nooooooo! l405G.jpg

just thought I'd point that out l405G.jpg

All the good LI flower jokes have been stolen... :cry:l405G.jpg

• 9 months later...

I too would like to see what's going on, and similarly apologise for the bump, but this was the most promising remake I've seen.

I shall cry salty tears.  :cry::cry::cry::cry:

• 3 weeks later...

Here was the last update, classic style pathing. Textures, tile types, buildings, and UI are all entirely defined in XML files, buildings were partially implemented, but needed models and model loading.

Then Sparky left the project and I got a full-time job. :cry:

If someone wants to continue the project and can seriously convince me they can do it I'm not against sharing it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey guys, it's been a while. I know this project (which did internally get renamed "Raiders Unlimited") is just another name on the pile of dead LRR remake attempts, but I just wanted to leave you with a bit more info than my last post. I had big plans for RU, every attribute was loaded from XML. The whole engine was written to both run on legacy hardware of the time (literally Pentium III, 128MB RAM, OpenGL 1.2), and be totally modable. It also had cooperative multiplayer in mind from the beginning. But it just wasn't realistic for me at the time.

I've always had a knack for programming, but never a career in it. I've made some tiny games in the past and wanted RU to be my big break into C++ and a larger scale project. Sparky caught on and we got pretty far, and I really learned a lot. One of the things I learned is that I have no experience with game design paradigms. Thus, every time I implemented some fundamental code, I would find out later that I did it totally wrong. Sparky had to leave for many reasons and is now married (congrats!), and I've been working full time on my own. I keep coming back to the code for RU, but every time I just hit the wall of of not knowing the best step forward for the next function.

Ideally, I would love to have an experienced game development engineer just there to bounce questions off of every day, but that's too much to ask of any reasonable person. Instead, I finally have come up with two smaller projects that I can work on to get more experience before returning to something as large as RU. These would be perfect for learning more of the fundamentals that I lack, but without the long-term penalties of getting it wrong. Before I can work on those, I have another large non-programming project/hobby that will occupy another year or so. Barring any more surprising life developments, I may return to RU sometime in the next 5 years.

- Tim

On 6/10/2018 at 5:43 AM, tmo7452 said:

Hey guys, it's been a while. I know this project (which did internally get renamed "Raiders Unlimited") is just another name on the pile of dead LRR remake attempts, but I just wanted to leave you with a bit more info than my last post. I had big plans for RU, every attribute was loaded from XML. The whole engine was written to both run on legacy hardware of the time (literally Pentium III, 128MB RAM, OpenGL 1.2), and be totally modable. It also had cooperative multiplayer in mind from the beginning. But it just wasn't realistic for me at the time.

I've always had a knack for programming, but never a career in it. I've made some tiny games in the past and wanted RU to be my big break into C++ and a larger scale project. Sparky caught on and we got pretty far, and I really learned a lot. One of the things I learned is that I have no experience with game design paradigms. Thus, every time I implemented some fundamental code, I would find out later that I did it totally wrong. Sparky had to leave for many reasons and is now married (congrats!), and I've been working full time on my own. I keep coming back to the code for RU, but every time I just hit the wall of of not knowing the best step forward for the next function.

Ideally, I would love to have an experienced game development engineer just there to bounce questions off of every day, but that's too much to ask of any reasonable person. Instead, I finally have come up with two smaller projects that I can work on to get more experience before returning to something as large as RU. These would be perfect for learning more of the fundamentals that I lack, but without the long-term penalties of getting it wrong. Before I can work on those, I have another large non-programming project/hobby that will occupy another year or so. Barring any more surprising life developments, I may return to RU sometime in the next 5 years.

- Tim

Thanks for the update Tim, 
Since my first posts here I've learned a little python, java, HTML, PHP and JS, sadly no C++ yet

I just want to wish you well on your other projects and say I believe you can learn what you need to in good time!
Still, I think a github is a good idea

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.