LEGO Racers Beta Project

Jack Bluebeard

Jack Bluebeard

LEGO Racers Beta Project

PatchIt-Compatible-Small.png

The Racers Beta Project is a mod that includes some elements that are taken and recreated from alpha/beta versions of the game. If you find any quarky stuff let me know, feedback is always appreciated :^)

Features:

- HUD in alpha/beta style (power ups, speedometer etc...);

- Level order (follows folder order in jam archive);

- All wheels textures have been changed based on those from alpha and beta screenshots.

There is also other additional material (labeled as "custom") such as:

- Revamped minimaps by RobExplorien + custom made by me for the Test track

- Graphics of the garage in the Test track

- Circuit SFX changed to sound like what you hear in the demo (KK)

- Other bricks of different colors

Inside the zip file there are 3 folders, the first is the one with the beta material, the second is that with the material custom, and the third contains some misc textures.

How to install

1 - Take the folders that you want to install;

2 - Copy them in the original JAM extract;

3 - Rebuild the file JAM

4 - Put the new JAM into your "Lego Racers" folder;

5 - Run the game.

Planned features

- New power up layout (got from the alpha-beta shots);

- New bmp text files;

- Playing with an NPC car model (soon:tm:).

Download:

Git: soon:tm:

v1.1: soon:tm:

PatchIt patch (DON'T USE):http://le717.github.io/ShareIt/Texture/LEGO-Racers-Beta-Project/LEGO_Racers_Beta_Project_v1.0.zip

v1.0b (old "1.1"?)http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymmfqvc2ga6zl5r/LEGO_Racers_Beta_Project_v1.0.rar/file

v1.0;http://www.mediafire.com/download/mki6apj315ke5og/LEGO_Racers_Beta_Project_v1.0.rar

Bonus files (extra textures):http://le717.github.io/ShareIt/Texture/LEGO-Racers-Beta-Project/LEGO_Racers_Beta_Project_Bonus_Files_v1.0.zip

Credits to:

- RobExplorien for the initial speedometer and for the revamped maps.

- The member who posted the files of the garage (really can't remember your name it's been so long);

- Le717, for the PatchIt patch;

- Jamesster for screenshots;

- All the Rock Raiders for welcoming me, especially for those who usually are in the "Racers" sector :^^^^)

Screenshots:

// TODO

Edited by Jack Bluebeard
Update after 8 years lol

Going by the screenshots we have, the more solid looking shields were a glitch - all the other screenshots in that batch showed that the other textures with cutouts weren't working:

lego002-119718_640w.jpg

lego008-119724_640w.jpg

lego004-119720_640w.jpg

Otherwise, it's looking nice.

• Like 1

Here's the PatchIt! Compatible download, Rob N Hood.

http://le717.github.io/ShareIt/Texture/LEGO-Racers-Beta-Project/LEGO_Racers_Beta_Project_v1.0.zip

You may want to add this to the topic post.

This is only the contents of the BETA PROJECT folder. I can't post the other without permission from RobExplorien first.

It looks nice! I'm not sure to what extent as my installation is badly broken, but I'll fix it soon and give you more feedback on it. :)

Going by the screenshots we have, the more solid looking shields were a glitch - all the other screenshots in that batch showed that the other textures with cutouts weren't working:

-snip- x3

I didn't notice those other images when I saw the more filled-in shields. I thought "Wow! Now that is a shield!". Maybe instead of having it in here, it can be taken out and released in some other pack? I really like them. Gives the effect of having more protection than these small spinning lines.
  • Like 1

Jack Bluebeard

Going by the screenshots we have, the more solid looking shields were a glitch - all the other screenshots in that batch showed that the other textures with cutouts weren't working

I wanted to make the barrier that way because I did not like the look that have in the final version. It looked more a barrier in the beta version of the Nintendo 64, although it was a glitch. And if you want to extract from the mod its file is named SHETEST4.BMP.

Edit: PatchIt link added, Le717!

So, you like it??  :love:   :D

I downloaded it but I don't know how to use RAR.

Either extract it with 7-Zip (get 9.25 Alpha from the sidebar on the right. It's stable) or if you want just the basic package and not the extras, download the PatchIt! version and it will install it for you. :)

Exactly what IS PatchIt? A system for automatically installing mods?

I installed the mod using PatchIt! but nothing is happening.

Please try to keep all queries on their respective topics. :) I will answer these for you.

Yes, it is. You commented on one of my videos of it before.

You more than likely have a 2001 edition. PatchIt is still limited in supporting the 2001 version. For now, you'll need to extract LEGO.JAM, install the mod, then recompress the JAM. Full details are on the topic, and the excellent tutorial Setting Up/Installing a LEGO Racers Mod, written by JimbobJeffers, will also be of help.

Nice work. One question though, which .pcm file name is for the demo kahuka engine? I'd personally like to set it to eengine.pcm.

This is only the contents of the BETA PROJECT folder. I can't post the other without permission from RobExplorien first.

YOU MAY NOT wait any longer with making that patch, go ahead if you like to.

Jack Bluebeard

Nice work. One question though, which .pcm file name is for the demo kahuka engine? I'd personally like to set it to eengine.pcm.

The file is named as SPUT.PCM, but if you change it to EENGINE.PCM, the PCM for your deceleration sound will change with that of the classic opponent. 

The file is named as SPUT.PCM, but if you change it to EENGINE.PCM, the PCM for your deceleration sound will change with that of the classic opponent. 

I had already done that. I meant the engine sound when driving with constant velocity, not decelerating.

Jack Bluebeard

The demo car switch somewhat the PCMs for the constant speed and for the deceleration.

My theory is this: doing some experiments on demo tracks by removing the paths for the demo-AI, I noticed that when Kahuka starts the race with the turbo you can hear the normal engine sound. When the effect of the turbo ends you can feel for a short time the sound of deceleration, then stops. Then in the second case, on non-demo tracks where the files RRB of the demo does not exist in nature, Kahuka starts the race with the turbo but continues accelerating following a hard-coded path, with the sound of acceleration.

So I conclude that the car of Kahuka is subjected to follow his demo-NPC path, and that without the one in the demo paths he sometimes accelerates under the effect of turbo or gets stuck in its start position. In non-demo paths he follow a hardcoded path driving as when the player finishes a race.

So, other deduction, when the AI-player follows the NPC-path is decelerating and would remain stationary if there isn't the speed imposed by the nodes of the RRB file, so when taking a turbo is really speeding, under the influence of the speed of the nodes and under that of his car, then when the effect of the turbo disappears, Kahuka returns to decelerate.

Edit: for your happiness, RobExplorien, I also made Alpha Dragonis!

Screenshot:

gallery_7207_355_155965.png

Jack Bluebeard
Guys, there is a problem: I forgot to put some files in BETA PROJECT'S CUSTOM :(
I will let you have the full version as soon as possible.

• 4 weeks later...
Jack Bluebeard

Guys, here there are the extra textures in PatchIt! patch version:

http://le717.github.io/ShareIt/Texture/LEGO-Racers-Beta-Project/LEGO_Racers_Beta_Project_Bonus_Files_v1.0.zip

A big thanks to Le717 for the great support that is giving me (and for the patches too, of course).

The next version of the mod will have 3 main folders in the zip: the BETA PROJECT (invariated), NPC'S CUSTOM and REPERTOIRE IMAGES, with other features and many other NPC's textures.

• 7 years later...
Jack Bluebeard

Ok so I started messing around this again, looks like what I did 8 years ago was pretty rough and I'll maybe try to fix it up.

For now I reimplemented the old beta diamond/emerald/whatever this thing is which I had back then but was never released anywhere

I had a few HD wipes over the years so idk how much I lost but it's good to be back on this for a while

large.1134067211_LEGORacers01_02_202117_

• Like 2

Jack Bluebeard

Update: I wiped all the old textures (except one I think lol it was already good) and replaced with good upscaled ones.

I also had great fun upscaling alpha and beta screens :^)

Old one

large.559388978_Oldjunkysprites.png.283f586f020dead3ff713a09b983bd95.png

New one from upscaled beta screenshots

large.1131079607_Newupscaledsprites.png.7a427e2e3d7689d93ae7e7e778151039.png

I like this stuff ngl

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.