LEGO Magazines!

emily

Nah, I think that one of them might have been.

The first games were posted in what, 1999? I don't remember exactly.

Both of those games sound like something from the Outback theme, not Johnny Thunder - they're not about treasure hunting, etc...

That would be great! Unfortunately, I do not have anything with which I could repay you at the moment, so we would have to put it off any potential transaction to a later date. How much did you want for what you have, minus the issues in this image plus issue 15?

Sorry for the stupidly late reply, I've been busy :P I'm afraid I just meant I could scan my magazines in if it would help, not actually send them to you. It'll be a couple of months before I have access to them anyway, probably, so I'll see if there are any gaps I can fill then.

Sorry for the stupidly late reply, I've been busy :P I'm afraid I just meant I could scan my magazines in if it would help, not actually send them to you. It'll be a couple of months before I have access to them anyway, probably, so I'll see if there are any gaps I can fill then.

That's quite alright, it would be just as great if you could scan them. Sorry for misunderstanding. :P

EDIT: The rest of the 2002 issues of LEGO Magazine are up. All of you Galidor fans out there will be interested to know that some of the questions posed on the last page of the second insert in the July/August issue deal with plot details that were never approached by the show before its cancellation. I know this because I watched through the entire series on YouTube. I'm not sure why.

EDIT 2: I have been steadily adding issues to the Brickshelf folder. I will try to update the first post sometime soon.

• 5 months later...

Double post and topic revival?!? QUICK EVERYONE THROW THINGS AT TAZAKK

So we know a lot about the US and UK LEGO magazines, and thanks to Dark_Turtle we know a fair amount about the German ones. But what about Canada? Let's go way, way back (okay, not that far back) to 1978. Like other early LEGO magazines, Design News began as a newsletter unaffiliated with any LEGO Club - that just didn't exist yet, disregarding Samsonite's 'unofficial' club from 1963. Since it was a Canadian publication, it had a separate title for French users, Innovations (this roughly translates to "Innovations" in English). Assuming Bricklink's catalog is complete, the newsletter dropped off in 1987, and came back as an eight-page magazine in 1990. At this point, someone also realized that "Innovations" meant the same thing in both languages and made it the absolute title.

In 1994 when Brick Kicks became MANIA magazine in the US, Canada followed suit, but due to the need to publish in both French and English, much of the text from the US versions of MANIA was cut out (compare this to this).

I recently snatched up an issue of LEGO Club Innovations on eBay. I was honestly expecting to find evidence that it contained mostly the same content as Brick Kicks, but instead I found a lot of evidence otherwise. Innovations has its own mascots, Billy Brick and Bridget, and a focus on sharing member content and informing readers of LEGO events around the country. This focus, in addition to the magazine's layout and other details like the president's letter, makes the issue strongly reminiscent of pre-1994 issues of Bricks n' Pieces, so presumably both magazines were handled by the same publisher. The issue is also limited to a mere eight pages, ranking it with Brick Kicks as one of the smaller LEGO Magazines.

I'll put this into the first post eventually, but for now here are the links:

">Page 1

">Page 2

">Page 3

">Page 4

">Page 5

">Page 6

">Page 7

">Page 8

• Like 5

lol username

Double posts and bumps are perfectly fine if you're being constructive. And you are.

Since it was a Canadian publication, it had a separate title for French users, Innovations (this roughly translates to "Innovations" in English).

:gasp: 

Good find, thanks for the scans! For a moment there I thought that was Jim Spaceborn on the cover, heh.

• 2 weeks later...

The LEGO Maniacs have smiled upon me, granting me five more issues of LEGO Club Innovations.

Volume 3, Issue 1 - Spring 1992

">Page 1

">Page 2

">Page 3

">Page 4

">Page 5

">Page 6

">Page 7

">Page 8

Billy Brick mentions you can write to him for for a package on the history of LEGO. I wonder if it is too much to hope that some of those may still exist somewhere.

Volume 4, Issue 2 - Summer 1993

">Page 1

">Page 2

">Page 3

">Page 4

">Page 5

">Page 6

">Page 7

">Page 8

Volume 5, Issue 1 - 1994

">Page 1

">Page 2

">Page 3

">Page 4

">Page 5

">Page 6

">Page 7

">Page 8

Bridget presents Spyrius on page 2. United Galaxies and invisible droids! There is also an announcement of the construction of LEGOLAND California on page 5. The second paragraph begins to get very interesting as it talks about 'LEGO World,' but what exactly this is is not made clear.

Volume 5 - Issue 2 1994

">Page 1

">Page 2

">Page 3

">Page 4

">Page 5

">Page 6

">Page 7

">Page 8

Islanders is introduced on page 5.

Volume 5 - Issue 3 1994

">Page 1

">Page 2

">Page 3

">Page 4

">Page 5

">Page 6

">Page 7

">Page 8

This is the final issue of LEGO Club Innovations. It is also the first Canadian appearance of Jack the LEGO Maniac, and shares a cover (and presumably some of its content) with the final issue of Brick Kicks.

There is more on the way. The eBay lot I won these in also included the first two issues of the Canadian MANIA Magazine, plus several catalog booklets that don't appear to be on the internet yet. They have a few new things of interest.

• Like 6

Brickulator

I keep forgetting I said I might scan some Adventures mags. I'm at home for a few weeks so I'll have a look and see which ones I actually have.

I also have some club magazines stashed somewhere. Might just spread all the lego magazines I can find out on the floor and take a picture so you can see what I have :P

I keep forgetting I said I might scan some Adventures mags. I'm at home for a few weeks so I'll have a look and see which ones I actually have.

I also have some club magazines stashed somewhere. Might just spread all the lego magazines I can find out on the floor and take a picture so you can see what I have :P

Thanks in advance for whatever you are able to do!

Here are the first two Canadian issues of LEGO Mania Magazine. Note that the premiere is equivalent to the second US issue, due to the difference the countries had in frequency of magazine distribution until 1995.

Premiere - January 1995

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

March April 1995

Rejoice, the gallery is public and I don't need to make a list of links!

In addition to paragraphs being shortened to make way for French text, the Canadian Mania Magazines were limited to only eight pages, like their predecessor. But they do feature unique member-generated content so that it's coming from Canadian kids and not US ones. This includes LEGO RAP on page 7 of the first issue, along with Maniac Madness.

Also, here are the most interesting pages from the catalogs I mentioned in my last post. The 1989 catalog uses both the international and US names for the Pirates sets on the same page, and has a new Space image of Blacktron raiding the Futuron monorail that I hadn't seen before. The 1991 one names the Blacktron homeworld (!) as B-II. 1992 has some curious new descriptions for the four Castle factions of the time. 1993 has some new Space descriptions, though they aren't really anything remarkable.

• Like 3

Awesome, thanks! I've seen the Castle factions image before, but with different descriptions:

*snip*

(From here)

Sweet recalls, need to find this sets (Siege Cart and Prisoner Convoy) and try to find and buy others.

• 2 months later...
Brickulator

Alright, I finally dug out all the Adventures mags I could find stashed away in this house. No doubt there are a few I haven't found but here are the ones I have in a nice pile right now:

Issue 10 (Jan 00)

Issue 12 (Mar 00)

Issue 15 (Jun 00)

Issue 18 (Sep 00)

Issue 21 (Dec 00)

Issue 22 (Jan 01) - first one styled as "LEGO Adventures! Magazine" with the new cover title, although the old look is still used inside

Issue 26 (May 01) - by now this "new look" is complete, the old dungarees guy is gone and everything is Pepper

Issue 28 (Jul 01)

Issue 29 (Aug 01) - Bionicle collector's edition with multiple covers, the one I have is Kopaka

Issue 30 (Sep 01)

Issue 34 (Jan 02 - incorrectly dated as Jan 01 on the cover) - special "last ever issue" edition. The "Constructors" page featured the best MOCs from 2001 rather than showing any new ones

Let me know if you'd like any of these scanned and I'll see what I can do. None of them are in the best condition but they are from the turn of the century ;) I'll see if I can find any others and check which of the club magazines I have in case anyone wants to see those too.

• Like 3

Alright, I finally dug out all the Adventures mags I could find stashed away in this house. No doubt there are a few I haven't found but here are the ones I have in a nice pile right now:

Issue 10 (Jan 00)

Issue 12 (Mar 00)

Issue 15 (Jun 00)

Issue 18 (Sep 00)

Issue 21 (Dec 00)

Issue 22 (Jan 01) - first one styled as "LEGO Adventures! Magazine" with the new cover title, although the old look is still used inside

Issue 26 (May 01) - by now this "new look" is complete, the old dungarees guy is gone and everything is Pepper

Issue 28 (Jul 01)

Issue 29 (Aug 01) - Bionicle collector's edition with multiple covers, the one I have is Kopaka

Issue 30 (Sep 01)

Issue 34 (Jan 02 - incorrectly dated as Jan 01 on the cover) - special "last ever issue" edition. The "Constructors" page featured the best MOCs from 2001 rather than showing any new ones

Let me know if you'd like any of these scanned and I'll see what I can do. None of them are in the best condition but they are from the turn of the century ;) I'll see if I can find any others and check which of the club magazines I have in case anyone wants to see those too.

Wonderful! The only issues that are available online already from that list are 10, 15, and 18. Any of the others would be awesome to see, although I'm particularly interested in the ones featuring the "Legend of Lewa" BIONICLE comic (which heretofore has only been found in Russian) and the final issue.

Thanks for digging them up!

Brickulator

Alright so I don't have access to a proper scanner than actually works at the moment but I used a scanning app on my phone to grab all the pages of Adventures! Issue 12. I think the quality is mostly alright but some of the pages are pretty awful - like the Racers board game thing on 18-19 - but after multiple attempts I could get anything better from those. I'll try again later and replace any pages I can improve but if I can't get anything better I can always transcribe stuff for those of you who are really keen to find out what some of the blurrier text says.

I should also apologise for having already completed that Loco maze and for circling some of the differences in the "spot the difference" puzzle but when I did that 14 years ago I didn't expect to be sharing this magazine with the world one day. Be thankful that I didn't scribble all over the comics because there's a lot of that to come throughout future issues. You're lucky that Issue 18 is already online because the RR comic in my copy is covered with the stickers that came with that issue :P

Here it is anyway, Issue 12:

adventures_12_01.jpg

Gallery of all pages: http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=288031

• Like 2

The scans look great, especially considering what you had to work with. I was able to make out most of the text, even when it got blurry.

RANDOM COMMENTS: I find it highly amusing that they would even pretend that that bazaar could have taken place within King Leo's Castle. It must be a lot larger on the inside than it looks. It's sort of funny that they used LOCO to build a maze without really acknowledging where it came from, an interesting product of the magazine's LEGO Media heritage. And then, of course, there is Cowboy Dave. Because if he has 'cowboy' in his name, you just know he's a bad-news, loose-cannon construction worker who doesn't play by the rules.

Thanks again, Brickulator.

The scans look great, especially considering what you had to work with. I was able to make out most of the text, even when it got blurry.

RANDOM COMMENTS: I find it highly amusing that they would even pretend that that bazaar could have taken place within King Leo's Castle. It must be a lot larger on the inside than it looks. It's sort of funny that they used LOCO to build a maze without really acknowledging where it came from, an interesting product of the magazine's LEGO Media heritage. And then, of course, there is Cowboy Dave. Because if he has 'cowboy' in his name, you just know he's a bad-news, loose-cannon construction worker who doesn't play by the rules.

Thanks again, Brickulator.

It's that way in the book too. There's a map of the castle's insides with the locations of various knights, bull soldiers, the king and his family + top knights, and Cedric and his main henchmen.

• 4 weeks later...

If they are older magazines (2002 or older) and have stuff in them that isn't in the English magazines, I would be happy to go though and do my best to translate them.

If they are older magazines (2002 or older) and have stuff in them that isn't in the English magazines, I would be happy to go though and do my best to translate them.

Hmm, I think they are only from around 2005. (Because I'm not that old), but when I find them (or I threw them away :/ ) I'll take a look for some interesting things.

And here I am, crying over the one LEGO magazine I had from the 80s that got ripped to shreds. I'll see if I can find any salvageable bit of it for you.

Fluffy Cupcake

80s huh? I think the ones I have here go back as early as the mid-late 90s. I'd have to check to make absolutely sure though.

I'd totally like to see them if they're from 2002 or earlier. After 2002 all of the LEGO magazines across the board became virtually the same.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.