Review: #3937 Olivia's Speedboat

le717

#3937 Olivia's Speedboat
Review by le717

Photo

>9608782423_fb40d43902_c.jpg
(The entire set can be found here.)

Review

We all know about LEGO Friends, so I won't rehash it all.

I bought this set for $2.50 USD at Walmart. Clearly, it was on major clearance (standard price is $10 USD), and they had multiples of it. I had seriously considered buying a Friends set in the past and didn't, but this was too good of a deal to pass up.

So, as you could see from the box... it's pretty small, only 65 pieces. I don't know how you judge piece count to price ratio, but $2.50 USD is a steal any way you look at it.

>9612034164_f8c3580e64_c.jpg

The back of the box shows Olivia washing her jet-ski up on the shore, as well as her playing in the sand and advertisements for her Friends.

>9612062602_12b1ff819c_c.jpg

Her Torso (not pictured) and legs both came in their own bags. Her hair is made up of that softer plastic. Kinda reminds me of the first-gen Exo-force hair pieces (I loved that line). Also, the hair fits on a Under the do-rag>normal minifigure.

>9612084618_74daf0daa3_c.jpg

As I expected, the bricks are very colorful.

>9612108242_125bf54cc2_c.jpg

The finished product. The jet-ski is pretty study but lightweight (it's hollow in the center), but the flag and windshield could come off after a few drops. Olivia does sit in it, attached via a groove between her legs. Sandcastle is puny, standard micro-build status. Beach mat/"towel" (tiles placed onto a 4x8 plate) is boring. Yes, that is a flower on the umbrella.

>9608897457_e2d3b8b30f_c.jpg

DUI, anyone?

Rating

Design: 5 / 10 Nice, kinda simple. Jet-ski is not the classic design, but is pretty sturdy. I'd expect just a bit more in the way of detail.
Quality: 4 / 10 I don't know, it seems to lack the "WOW!" factor I usually get with new LEGO, but maybe because it is a LEGO Friends set, a line I'm not completely into.
Fun: ? / 10 You think I'm going to be playing with this? :P
Price: 10 / 10 (only because of the $2.50 USD cost. I'd be happy if someone could provide an actual brick-to-price ratio. :)
  • Like 1

is that a bucket? :o

Yes, and a pretty rare piece, too I think. For some reason it's been cropping up in Friends sets. 3938 has it, too.

Say what you will, I do like the sandcastle and chair, etc. They're not central to the set, but it's nice to have "side" elements of a stet. It's a bit disappointing to see that the front of the speedboat is just one big juniorized lump, though. There's times when I like to think lego has moved on from the "big specialized pieces" mentality, but then another few still roll through.

I really really love that sandcastle, WOW. The boat is unimpressive because the seat is awkward and too close to the back of the boat, and the window isn't aerodynamic. I'm neutral to the chair, but I must wonder what Olivia has in her glass...

RobExplorien

I've seen such a 'jet ski' before in a City set in red and white. Frankly I doubt if you can call this a jet ski, it looks way too long for that. This is what I call a jet-ski:

lego-water-jet-set-6517-1.jpg

is that a bucket? :o

Yes, and a pretty rare piece, too I think. For some reason it's been cropping up in Friends sets. 3938 has it, too.

Yes, that is a bucket. It's rare because it's newer (I'm pretty sure it made it's debut in Minifigure Series 10, someone may be able to refute that). It'll gradually be used more.

Say what you will, I do like the sandcastle and chair, etc. They're not central to the set, but it's nice to have "side" elements of a set.

I really really love that sandcastle, WOW.

Maybe I was too harsh about the sandcastle and chair. Yes, side elements are good, but I guess the sandcastle to me was meh because of it's design, which I've seen before, and that could have easily been a sandcastle too with the proper color. The beach mat, again, it was kinda simple to me (I was hoping for more detail in this set), but rio was impressed by it, wondering why he has never thought of that design before.

It's a bit disappointing to see that the front of the speedboat is just one big juniorized lump, though. There's times when I like to think lego has moved on from the "big specialized pieces" mentality, but then another few still roll through.

The boat is unimpressive because the seat is awkward and too close to the back of the boat, and the window isn't aerodynamic. I'm neutral to the chair,

Frankly I doubt if you can call this a jet ski, it looks way too long for that. This is what I call a jet-ski: -snip-

That is what I call a jet-ski too. This is more like a speedboat than a jet-ski.

but I must wonder what Olivia has in her glass...

As do I...

Good evening. May I recommend this fine green plastic bottle with a picture of grapes on it?

• 4 months later...
Quisoves Potoo

Fun: ? / 10 You think I'm going to be playing with this? :P

Fun can be the enjoyment you get from using it in zombie brickfilms  :)

That pale white skin. So cold. So unyellow. So dead. BRRRRR.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.