New version of ROCK RAIDERS - update

StewartG

ProfessorBrickkeeper

This is some of the best news to grace the forums in recent memory... Given that you now have the name rights, will you release the new one as a sequel minus the LEGO name or something?

Yay! :lol:

This game will have all of the classic rock raiders, right? :)

They're property of LEGO so no, I doubt it, and if I'm wrong and the trademark covered them too I really hope the game won't anyway. Besides something about things being let rest, it would feel fan fiction-y and uncreative.

On that note, I'm going to be the pooper and say that for some reason I really don't like DDI having and using this name now. I'm not really sure why I don't, but I don't. Sorry, Stewart, just ignore me and listen to the happy people.

[/overly negative criticism]

Sorry, Stewart, just ignore me and listen to the happy people.

Sage advice, Stewart.

I think this is awesome news!

(Although I think I can see where you're coming from, Lair)

On that note, I'm going to be the pooper and say that for some reason I really don't like DDI having and using this name now. I'm not really sure why I don't, but I don't. Sorry, Stewart, just ignore me and listen to the happy people.

[/overly negative criticism]

You'd rather LEGO squat the name for the rest of eternity and do absolutely nothing with it? Or perhaps some kid could buy it because he wants to make some other game with the same name? Really, DDI is the best people to have it. They developed the original game, this allows them to do stuff with the name again. Honestly "LEGO Rock Raiders" and "Rock Raiders" can be two different games without any problem. DDI isn't trying to overwrite their old game, they're making a new game inspired of the original.

I for one am grateful they even took notice and put this into consideration.

You'd rather LEGO squat the name for the rest of eternity and do absolutely nothing with it?

Sure. The theme is over. In the end, it's just a LEGO theme, anyway.

Really, DDI is the best people to have it.

I could make an argument against that.

They developed the original game, this allows them to do stuff with the name again.

No it doesn't. Until 2009 LEGO had ownership of the name. They'd probably have objected to DDI using it. I feel uncomfortable with DDI owning the name of a beloved (to me) LEGO theme personally, it just seems wrong in some way I can't describe well. Yes I know I said it's just a LEGO theme, but it just doesn't feel right, maybe because it is a LEGO theme, but I can't explain this with any sense.

No it doesn't. Until 2009 LEGO had ownership of the name. They'd probably have objected to DDI using it. I feel uncomfortable with DDI owning the name of a beloved (to me) LEGO theme personally, it just seems wrong in some way I can't describe well. Yes I know I said it's just a LEGO theme, but it just doesn't feel right, maybe because it is a LEGO theme, but I can't explain this with any sense.

So you feel the combination of 'Rock' & 'Raiders' should not be used unless accompanied by 'LEGO' due to previous product associations? I don't really understand your logic behind this, but if you feel this way then I guess that's just the way you feel.

I don't really understand your logic behind this, but if you feel this way then I guess that's just the way you feel.

I don't really either. It is just how I feel in the end.

I still am sticking by my not wanting things based around the original characters, though

Really, I think I agree on that front.  I'd like to see something based around the mechanics and general idea of the original game, but more up to snuff with today's games.

I, for one, would be glad to see this separate from Lego.  Being a separate entity allows the developers to pursue a more mature audience which is something I would LOVE to see happen, something with more action, deeper strategy, more combat, etc.  A few years ago I had toyed around with some drawings of what RR would look like as a 1920's near-steampunk mining operation as opposed to a sci-fi interplanetary mission and liked the results.  That's a direction that could create a cool final product.

I know I'm starting to ramble now, but if it's going to be based on the original, what about making it truly interplanetary?  They could add a mechanic that allowed for the mining of multiple planets by dividing up your raider groups or something.  Really, I feel like we could be a prime resource for the developers.  They could take a NFS: World approach and use us as a control and suggestion group to determine what players of the original game would like to see in a new version.

</ramble>

Edit:  One more thing I would really like to see is "enemy combat prioritizing".  I can't tell you how many times my little Rock Raiders have gone off and ignored the rock monsters / slimy slugs immediately surrounding my base in an effort to hunt sleeping monsters on the other end of the map.  Some sort of intelligent threat assessment would be greatly appreciated, so that they know what to attack first in order to minimize damage to RRHQ.

• Like 2

As I expressed over in another topic, I'm feeling... reservations regarding the future of this new game, especially given Data Design Interactive's post-LEGO Rock Raiders reputation, and just another piece of Wii shovelware titled "Rock Raiders" would be a travesty to the original.  That being said, I definitely want to see where this goes, and I do hope that in the end, by being so close to such a dedicated community during the development of this new game (especially through this topic), you can successfully recapture that lightning which made the original game so memorable and create a new game that can live up to its predecessor's legacy.  It definitely won't be easy, though, but I wish you the best of luck, and again thanks for sharing this with us.

• Like 5

I don't know whether to post here or make it a new topic, but we are thinking of being more creative and allowing you to build your own types of vehicles from a collection of ready made parts. So the basic list goes something like this..

Vehicles:

You create the parts to make the vehicles that you can afford,  or that you need, to suit your world.

CHASSIS

• Small - Stand on
  • Small 4 wheel , light, medium or heavy weight.
  • Medium 6 wheel, light, medium or heavy weight.
  • Static base .  1 to 8 blocks.

Power unit:

• Push
  • Steam
  • Oil
  • Electric
  • Fusion
  • Power Crystals

Traction:

• light wheels,
  • Strong wheels
  • All terrain wheels
  • Ski
  • Tracks
  • Flying
    • Hover
    • Helicopter blades
    • Jet
    • Anti gravity
    • Space Propulsion

Armour:

• Wood
  • Hard wood
  • Copper
  • Bronze
  • Iron
  • Steel
  • Carbon Steel
  • Alloys

Work bits:

• Drill
  • Medium Drill
  • Large Drill
  • WTF Drill
  • Lasers 1-5
  • Wrecking ball
  • Lump hammer 1-5

You create the Vehicle combination, add the power supply, add in the work bits, and get constructing.

Modding options will allow for player designed, vehicles, in various models and graphical styles to be created and available as downloads.

Buildings.

Buildings and vehicles can be created from any block of any material, and saved as a ‘plan’. If you want to recreate a building you choose a spot and place the ‘plan’ in the build list. Your engineer minifigs will then try and build it from materials that you have in storage.  You can purchase and sell designs, to other players. There will be an online site for choosing, rating and voting on the best plans, functionality, good design, and cool new looks.

What do you think? The code will allow for MODS, so original Lego rock raiders models can go in from fans designs (we will not be able to do this as a pre-defined set) but create your vehicles and design a mesh 'look' for it I think would be cool - your input please!

I don't ever do this but...

FIRST!

Have to say that is an awesome list and would love to see vehicle creation in action. Loving the modding possibilities to enable people to create a nostalgic mod for LRR.

Push Power, WTF Drill

YES! Some comedic things in game make it that much better.

Buildings and vehicles can be created from any block of any material, and saved as a ‘plan’. If you want to recreate a building you choose a spot and place the ‘plan’ in the build list.

This is excellent.

That sounds really cool actually.  I had written up a list of what I would like to see this game be like, but after that I'm going to have to alter and condense it before I post it.  Since you are going with building vehicles and such, I guess that you are staying with the LEGO theme then and not making this something unrelated.  I'm both happy and upset about that, but I would be both happy and upset if you went the other way too, so there's really no pleasing me on that front.

I must admit, I wasn't too interested in this game earlier, but after reading your list, my interest has been perked.

Just because I don't have the time to read all the updates now, let me ask this one question: is the game now more like RPG, like how the original game played, or is it still more Minecraft with RPG elements?

I must admit, I wasn't too interested in this game earlier, but after reading your list, my interest has been perked.

Just because I don't have the time to read all the updates now, let me ask this one question: is the game now more like RPG, like how the original game played, or is it still more Minecraft with RPG elements?

RPG? I think you mean RTS with RPG elements.

Sounds like a blast so far. The possibility of a classic Rock Raiders (or anything at all, really) conversion mod is also fantastic.

I must admit, even though I fail when playing an RTS (my strategy always ends up being everyone defending, instead of anything else), and so haven't been interested in this, the customization seems really interesting.

Plus, the WTF Drill really made my day.

I fail when playing an RTS (my strategy always ends up being everyone defending, instead of anything else)...

Though LRR is classed as an RTS, you do realize that it's not a military/war RTS, right?

• Like 1

• Cyrem pinned this topic
  • lol username unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.