Tunnel Transport

Addictgamer

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

I'm frankly surprised nobody has mentioned the disappearance bug, which is a serious problem with this vehicle:

This is followed by raiders disappearing and then followed up by teleport messages.  

It's a big problem, and one that @Jessietail even made a video of.  Here's two screenshots of some of the stuff she noticed when the bug is active:

unknown.png

unknown.png

The video is called "haunted.avi" and for good reason.  When she teleported up the offending Tunnel Transport, its pilot became stuck in the shakeabout animation.  

To be clear, this happened on Hot Stuff for her.  I've seen it on Baz's Recruitment, Ice Spy, and Rocky Horror, though I admit to not testing it elsewhere yet.  

Does anyone have the slightest clue what's going on with this?  The disappearance bug seems to crop up elsewhere but consistently appears with the Tunnel Transport.  Knowing what the difference is between this and the Cargo Carrier might lead us somewhere.  One thing Jessie picked up on and that I confirmed is that the Tunnel Transport has CrossLand on by default and does not try to dump vehicles into the Tool Store, while when CrossLand is used for the Cargo Carrier, it does try dumping vehicles into the TS.  

I sincerely hope this is not a hardcoded issue.

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 4:16 AM, Slimy Slug said:

This is followed by raiders disappearing and then followed up by teleport messages.  

I ran into this problem on Baz's Water Works but got no teleport messages. The game still thought raiders were around... I also recall them chewing up an OxygenCoef as well, so they were clearly still on the map.

Doe

s anyone have the slightest clue what's going on with this?  The disappearance bug seems to crop up elsewhere but consistently appears with the Tunnel Transport.  Knowing what the difference is between this and the Cargo Carrier might lead us somewhere.

I took a quick look at the .ae files (open those with Notepad or any text editor you like) The Cargo Carrier has dedicated entries ("activities") for unloading and reloading, which is why it displays that nice animation of opening up its ramp (as well as saying "The vehicle can do this!, AE files also point to an animation). The Tunnel Transport, in vanilla and in Addict's "fixed" .ae at the end of his spoiler, doesn't. Nor does the Small Transport Truck or the Loader Dozer (in vanilla remember it gets cargo upgrades), however those do not carry vehicles. (What might happen if they do...?)

I suspect FloatOn and FloatOff, mentioned in the SmallTruck and SmallDigger's .ae, are boarding and getting off the Cargo Carrier. Curiously the Hoverboard doesn't have them, and after a quick run through with Run the Gauntlet the Hover Scout is entirely unable to board the Cargo Carrier.

Interestingly in Addict's ae the Tunnel Transport does not have a proper TeleportOut entry, which can't help things at all.

Even more interestingly:

When she teleporte

d up the offending Tunnel Transport, its pilot became stuck in the shakeabout animation. 

In Pilot.ae, not only are the animations for driving the Tunnel Transport entirely nonexistent (which isn't a problem, as there are none for the Loader Dozer etc because the pilot is hidden), Thrown is the last entry in the Activities.

.ae files are weird, wonderful, and flat out broken things...

Thus my theory is as follows:

1) If load and unload are not present in the .ae the game will have no clue what it should be doing. Sometimes this results in the game smashing itself to pieces and causing the dissapearing raiders, as well as also having no clue what happens to the vehicle.

2) On the other hand, if load and unload are present in the .ae, the vehicle now realises it can unload stuff and will throw it in the Tool Store, regardless of whether it's carrying ore or vehicles.

Pick your poison: game decided to remove all raiders from the game, or game will deposit vehicles in the Tool Store, crashing the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.