The LEGO Movie Trailer

lol username

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I'm certainly looking foreword to seeing this and I'm amazed by the number of amazing actors. Especially Morgan Freeman, I remember seeing him in person once...

Oh, and I got to this news 4 minutes before you. :P

• Like 1

lol username

Oh, and I got to this news 4 minutes before you. :P

I got the news about half an hour ago, but as I said I'm on a phone - in an area with a weak signal at that. And our other news reporters hardly ever do anything.

• Like 2

Oh yea! This looks amazing. This will be replacing my yearly trip to the theater to see the newest Pixar movie for sure! :D

O.T.
Really, I only go to the theater once a year to watch the Pixar movie. I skipped Brave, however.

Sees embedded video.  Batman is the thumbnail.  Going to complain and rant and whine and OH MY GOD IS THAT JOHNNY THUNDER AT 0:41 TO THE LEFT OF THE MERMAID I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE

lol username

0:40 to the left of Wonder Woman: that fireman so not stiff-minifigure, but whatever. :P

Stuff like that is actually quite common in stop-motions.

Lord Business???

His sidekick is Bad Cop.

RobExplorien

1980 something Space guy, haha. I like him, and his voice. Pretty cool that he has a worn off space suit, making it more realistic.

• Like 1

lol username

1980 something Space guy, haha. I like him, and his voice. Pretty cool that he has a worn off space suit, making it more realistic.

Haha, yeah, that and Johnny Thunder really brought a smile to my face.

Also, because I've seen some people get confused by this and want to clarify before it's asked here: The movie is indeed correct in calling him a "1980something space guy". Yes, classic space was introduced in 1978, but it only had red and white astronauts at first. Yellow astronauts were added in 1979, and blue and black astronauts were added in 1984 - and seeing as the spaceman in the movie wears a blue space suit, yes, he is indeed from the 80s, not 70s.

Also, Johnny Thunder. Heck yes. And what's more, they didn't try to overhaul his design like what almost happened in certain other more recent appearance of his. No blue-whip-wielding bikers here! :D

And as for the new characters introduced with this movie, I've gotta say, I like their designs. Emmett's design fits the "typical minifigure" character well with the classic smile, Lucy looks like one heck of an action girl, Vitruvius... Well, his eyes are a bit strange but ok, and Bad Cop looks like... Well, a bad cop. I'm sure hoping we get proper minifigures of these guys.

And of course, the visual style as a whole... Wow, I knew about the "super charged stop-motion" thing they said they were going for, but WOW, this looks absolutely gorgeous. The attention to detail is fantastic, and the animation style brings back a lot of LEGO Island nostalgia.

This sounds rather strange, but now that we know they're including more licensed characters than just Batman and Superman, I don't mind the licensed elements as much - I'll take "LEGO everything" (which could be interesting) over "LEGO original stuff plus two random DC characters". It feels less like a marketing deal with DC and more like the ultimate wacky LEGO mash-up.

The story... We don't know a lot about it so far, but it sounds pretty whimsical from what has been said. Doesn't seem to be too serious or too silly, just humorous and LEGO-y. A guy called President Business with a henchman called Bad Cop... Hah, I suppose it is actually fairly silly, but I like it.

I was previously unsure what to think of this movie based on the info we had, but after seeing this, I'm hyped. This looks fantastic. Let's hope it won't disappoint. :D

Brickulator

I watched it last night on my phone but I've watched it properly now and I'm quite impressed. I love the animation style and the way the figs look. I'm very happy to see Proper Johnny Thunder making an appearance, and the little details are very nice, like the cracked spaceman helmet and that the ninja's smoke cloud is made up of those ice cream pieces and not just a generic smoke effect. I'm okay with the basketball guys being replaced with normal figs because the creepy hands and springy legs are a bit weird.

Also, is the music some kind of remix of Take On Me or am I imagining that?

EDIT: It's a Pitbull song that samples A-ha

EDIT 2: On another viewing I noticed a couple of other things I really like - the ghost also uses the ice cream pieces, the TMNT disappears into his shell, the blaster shots are all the trans pole pieces instead of crappy effects and there's a cat inside the movie logo :P

Sees embedded video.  Batman is the thumbnail.  Going to complain and rant and whine and OH MY GOD IS THAT JOHNNY THUNDER AT 0:41 TO THE LEFT OF THE MERMAID I HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE

WOAH I MISSED THAT.

EDIT: From reading this topic, I missed a lot of stuff... probably due to my stupid computer lagging Youtube. :P

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out for all that stuff. :P

The absence of Star Wars is depressing.

It's not to me. Star Wars would be difficult to contain within some other canon, unlike DC Superheroes which have so many alternate universes attached to them that 'SURE, let's have another one where they are all LEGO', and it wouldn't be out of place at all.

He also has a cracked helmet, which is completely awesome. I will admit that many of my helmet pieces are cracked in the exact same way. Realism!

This looks incredible. So much attention to detail, awesome action and hilarious writing.

"I only work in black! And... sometimes very, very dark grey."

I lol'd.

Saw this this morning, Looks really awesome. I'm definitely going to have to see this as soon as humanly possible.

And as for the new characters introduced with this movie, I've gotta say, I like their designs. Emmett's design fits the "typical minifigure" character well with the classic smile, Lucy looks like one heck of an action girl, Vitruvius... Well, his eyes are a bit strange but ok, and Bad Cop looks like... Well, a bad cop. I'm sure hoping we get proper minifigures of these guys.

Where did these names come from? Only Emmett is named in the trailer. Of course I've not been caring about this movie up till now so there's probably a lot of things I missed.

there's a cat inside the movie logo

Where? I've keep looking at the logo and I can't find it :/

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. It's during the build sequence for the logo and not the logo itself, which threw me off.

The absence of Star Wars is depressing.

Or alternatively,

"I find your lack of Star Wars disturbing."

As I mentioned I've not really cared up till seeing this, but having seen this I am 100% sold and WILL be going to see the movie when it comes out.

Even better if we get some reference to Rock Raiders, Insectoids or Life on Mars in there. (those are my personal favorites .-.)

I mean there's Johnny Thunder and 1980-something space man in there, so it wouldn't be too far fetched. Especially with the following LRR has.

Also, I notices several minifigures changed positions suddenly during the assembly scene. For example, Michelangelo and the ghost appear to switch places at one point.

I hope this is due to the scenes being played out of order and doesn't happen in the final cut.

Olivus Prime

Guess I'm going to dampen the spirit a little... I'm still not totally convinced.

Granted, the animation and visual style has had a LOT more thought put into it than I predicted, what with not only the stop-motion-esque movements, but also the lighting and camera focus.

Everyone's going crazy over Johnny Thunder, and I'm also quite happy that he'll get at least a cameo, but having been a fan of the Transformers films in the past, I've gotten used to awesome characters being announced for the movie, only to sit in the background or have one throw-away line.

I may be sounding like an old Grandpa now, but I specifically didn't like the choice of characters they showed off in the trailer. Far too many of them were either very recent or licensed figures, I mean, why have a Ninja Turtle in the movie when his theme has existed for about a year, and may not go much further? It'd be like releasing the movie ten years ago and having Winnie the Pooh appear. I know that people are going to go, "Well they had the spaceman and Johnny Thunder!" - you can see my comment above on Johnny Thunder, and I think the spaceman is becoming too much of a fallback for LEGO when they want a nostalgic character. Why not have Redbeard, a Space Policeman or Royal King as well? That said, I appreciate the "battle damage" they gave him.

I also really hope that character introduction sequence isn't in the movie - it's good for a trailer, but I wouldn't want to sit though it in the middle of the narrative!

lol username

Hang on a sec, are you saying that a modern LEGO movie shouldn't contain modern LEGO characters? 0.o They're already including some of the most iconic classics anyway - Johnny Thunder, the classic ghost, a blue spaceman, some Western minifigures, etc.

Anyway, here's an alternate version of the trailer with some new clips.

Awww, that laser scene is immense. And the fact that they're all actual laser pieces... That must have taken a long time.

Might want to be careful about classic themes coming back, but mainly Johnny Thunder: if he does so much as utter one word, and he sounds nothing like what he did in the comics (or whenever he first spoke), there will seriously be some Mr. Hates in the crowd for that. :P

I bet there will be some mini-competition between some of us in February about who went to see the movie first. ;P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.