LR scene modding

Brickulator

Brickulator

However, it'd be in the wrong track :(

Are the animations/movement for the models built into the models themselves(ufo swooping), or is it defined elsewhere? If its defined elsewhere, we could add the movement for the ufo onto the flying dutchman :o:P

The animations are separate files, it should be easy to get a flying UFO into another track but actually replacing the UFO with a pirate ship might be glitchy because the UFO has a skeleton file but the ship doesn't, and if it did it would be totally different. Although I haven't tried animating static models yet so I don't know.

Also, the imperial ship is not textured from behind so it's basically invisible unless viewed from a similar angle to the way I positioned it in Tribal Island Trail.

No, NEVER! :P

EDIT: Awww, that gets rid of that idea... unless the ship flew really funny. :P BTW, try replacing the ufo with the pirate ship, I want to see if it glitches. :P (I'd do this myself but I dunno how) :P

Brickulator

BTW, try replacing the ufo with the pirate ship, I want to see if it glitches. :P (I'd do this myself but I dunno how) :P

I tried it with both of the flying UFOs at the start, and both times the ship just sat in one place, with the tractor beam moving independently.

ufoboat.jpg

But I just realised, there is an animated version of the imperial ship in the race selection screen. That should have an SDB file and so it should animate in some way. I'll give that a go.

• Like 1

More and more discoveries (and messing about)! I agree completely with the flying dutchman level mod idea, although the  models' skeletons may be weird or make this impossible. However this also bodes well for completely from-scratch level creation what with the importing of models into separate levels and such. I doubt that anyone has figured the actual formatting of the models yet, but once that happens... amazing things.

I just tried myself in editing those scene files. It is not that easy I think because there are so many files that seem to contain the same... I look forward to read the tutorial soon :P You're doing a good job!

Brickulator

Well, I've had no luck with the animated ships. If I use the ship skeleton with the UFO animations, it either disappears completely or causes graphical glitches. If I use the UFO skeleton and animation with the ship model, it just crashes.

Brickulator

Aww man. Oh well. Maybe if we find that other ship file.

Do you mean the one from the race select screen? Because that's the one I just tried.

I've also changed the thread title because it's not just about cutscenes any more.

And now I've replaced the boat in Tribal Island Trail with a pirate ship, because pirates are cool.

pirate.jpg

Don't worry people, a tutorial is on the way. I'm just working out exactly what to include since the possibilities for this are pretty huge and I can't include everything. I don't even know what everything is yet :P

Brickulator

Alright, I'm working on a big tutorial/guide thing but it's already massive. Like, several pages long in word. I hope it doesn't scare anyone away D:

So far I've written 3 sections: Moving objects, Copying objects, and Copying objects from other tracks. I haven't done anything about cutscenes specifically yet. This is the end result of my demonstrations for the first 3 sections:

020.jpg

RobExplorien

Cool, but is the lighting (on the bottom of the UFO) part of the texture in the .BMP, or isn't it?

Brickulator

I don't know, I think you'd have to look at the texture to check. I just copied it from Alien Rally Asteroid.

But I assume it's lit dynamically in the level.

• 2 weeks later...
Brickulator

I've been investigating and experimenting with SDB files a bit and I think I found the problem with the "imperial ship flying like a UFO" thing I was trying to do. If you look at this, you can see it's definitely possible to give objects animations meant for other objects:

bigufo.jpg

That is the big hovering UFO flying around with one of the little UFO's animations. Both of the SDB files for these UFOs have one "bone", but the imperial ship I was trying to use has 2, and I believe that was the problem. SDB files can be modified and I've played around with them a bit to try to get character models to work properly with different animations, but I think the pirate ship from Pirate Skull Pass only has one bone anyway so I should be able to get that to work and fly around the sky, which would be pretty awesome if this ghost pirate track is happening :)

Also, I put the car building garage behind the garage door of the test track:

test.jpg

The collision of the normally-empty room behind that door actually fits the size of the garage model really well.

That second modification you make looks great - simple, but one of those little touches that really add to the game.

That second modification you make looks great - simple, but one of those little touches that really add to the game.

Agreed. That looks much better than a black box. I hope a release of that is in order. :)

I'm wondering if it's possible to change the character parts meshes or brick meshes, to look like a hat or a brick is... for instance... a pirate ship ?

I love that garage modification.

I know, it is Brickulator's modification, but I also managed to include this garage model into the Test Track... Well... I made a downloadable version. Just paste the folders into the LEGO folder so it can merge with the GAMEDATA folder...  :whistle: 

i hope i was allowed to do that  :wimp: 

• Like 1

Brickulator

I know, it is Brickulator's modification, but I also managed to include this garage model into the Test Track... Well... I made a downloadable version. Just paste the folders into the LEGO folder so it can merge with the GAMEDATA folder...  :whistle:

i hope i was allowed to do that  :wimp: 

Of course you were allowed to do that :P And actually my test track files are pretty messed up at the moment so I'd have to do a lot of editing of files to get it back to something I could upload so I'm glad someone else could do it :)

I only put the garage there because of a video I'm making (and probably won't finish for ages/ever).

But does the collision match the garage model completely with you? Because the corners of the collision models are still a bit further away from the corners of the garage model... was that the same with you?

• 5 months later...

Afternoon everyone, after a bit of a break, I'm getting back into the Racers stuff. Hold onto your glitchy pirate hats, people.

But does the collision match the garage model completely with you? Because the corners of the collision models are still a bit further away from the corners of the garage model... was that the same with you?

Apologies for the slighlty delayed reply, but yeah, I had the same issue with the collision - you drive through the walls a bit before you hit the boundary. I'll have a look into the collision stuff at some point.

But for now I'm going back to the cutscenes. Here's a screenshot:

rrtest.jpg

It's just a modded version of the Veronica Voltage cutscene. The background is actually the test track now though, instead of the simplified model usually used in the cutscene. Obviously there's still some issues - the sky, for one, and the window and flag models are floating around in the air, but it was just an experiment. It should be pretty simple to use any track as the background for a cutscene. In fact, I reckon completely custom cutscenes shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I'll try to start updating this thread again :P

• Like 6

Sounds great, I look forward to your updates!

Could you possibly upload your screenshots to the RRU gallery? The majhost image doesn't work for me, I don't know if anyone else has the same issue though.

EDIT: Scratch that, it does work now. Wow, I love it, although Rocket Racer looks a little short. :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.