LR scene modding

Brickulator

Fluffy Cupcake

The majhost image doesn't work for me, I don't know if anyone else has the same issue though.

It does for me.

...well that felt stupidly short. Well, to add more to this post I'm gonna say I can't wait to see more ulator!

Sounds great, I look forward to your updates!

Could you possibly upload your screenshots to the RRU gallery? The majhost image doesn't work for me, I don't know if anyone else has the same issue though.

EDIT: Scratch that, it does work now. Wow, I love it, although Rocket Racer looks a little short. :P

Maj and brickshelf went down for a while earlier. But yeah, they're back now. As for Rocket Racer looking short, is it any better from this angle?

rrtest2.jpg

EDIT: Here's another picture - this is what happens when you run the Rocket Racer circuit cutscene in place of the spash screen, ie without a racer selected:

blocky.jpg

EDIT: Same as above but using the ending cutscene without a racer selected:

achu.jpg

I don't know why it's a different fig in this one. It might be worth mentioning that the previous image was from a 0% save, and this one is 100%. I can't be bothered to check if there are any differences there. Either way, AFAIK that bright yellow hair piece isn't available in the builder. Weird.

You can do the same "no-racer" thing with the trophy cutscenes. I tried it with the 1st place cutscene and...it was terrifying. Don't do that. I haven't looked at the others.

In other news I attempted to mod the Rocket Racer intro cutscene to use the RRR track instead of a plain black background, similarly to using the test track in the VV cutscene. It kind of works, but mostly not. I think I'll abandon that little experiment :P But I'm going to keep looking into cutscenes.

Edited by Brickulator
  • Like 1

*bumpdate*

completely custom cutscenes

So on the subject of actually making custom cutscenes, here's what I know:

As shown above, it's possible to base cutscenes in tracks simply by inserting the track model into a cutscene using the methods detailed in my tutorial. It's probably much easier to just copy a track's folder and turn it into a cutscene, but I haven't actually tried that yet. It would also be possible to include multiple tracks in a cutscene if you really wanted to go crazy with it. I still haven't figured out skyboxes and the like but I haven't really tried. Again, by turning an existing track folder into a cutscene that issue should be avoided.

Inserting characters and other models into these cutscenes is usually pretty simple once you've got used to the method, but I have had some issues in the past with certain objects like the Johnny Thunder cutscene model. I'll do some more experimenting there. In terms of character animations, I'm still not sure what is and isn't possible. It seems that usually when trying to use a character with someone elses's animation, everything gets all distorty and horrible. AFAIK this is down to the SKB files, which can be edited, but I haven't really solved anything there. There are some "generic" animations, such as those in the race selection screen and the cutscenes that include the player, and the "generic" models they belong to, that can be dressed up to look like any character. This is something else I'll look into.

Things like subtitles, sound effects, camera angles and movement etc, are all pretty easy to edit. Just about the only things that are :P

So on reflection it seems I still don't know a lot. But it's an update nonetheless. Has anyone else done anything with cutscenes? Has anyone else done anything with racers recently? :P

I haven't tried this out, but I am planning on doing so soon :)

You say the camera can be moved. Could this in theory allow for track previews?

Maybe even... If players could be placed in cars, could they drive around the track with the camera following them?

Well, the location of the camera is easy to change, as is the duration of shots and the speed of movement. I haven't tried changing animations. I imagine an animated track preview would be pretty complicated but a series of static shots of a track should be easy. Some movement could probaby be done just be giving cameras animations from other objects. In this video I had the camera follow the path of one of the DFD ghosts before the start of the race. I don't know why that happened because I didn't touch the camera stuff but the theory could still work.

Maybe even... If players could be placed in cars, could they drive around the track with the camera following them?

You mean in a cutscene? Custom animations may be tricky. But there must be some way to include the player and their car in a cutscene.

Well, the location of the camera is easy to change, as is the duration of shots and the speed of movement. I haven't tried changing animations. I imagine an animated track preview would be pretty complicated but a series of static shots of a track should be easy. Some movement could probaby be done just be giving cameras animations from other objects. In this video I had the camera follow the path of one of the DFD ghosts before the start of the race. I don't know why that happened because I didn't touch the camera stuff but the theory could still work.

Great, the camera is more moddable (is that a word?) than I originally thought, thanks for linking that video too. :thumbsup:

You mean in a cutscene? Custom animations may be tricky. But there must be some way to include the player and their car in a cutscene.

I meant in the cutscenes before circuit races, yes. If you can have multiple tracks in the cutscenes as you say then you could theoretically do previews of all of them. Even if you can't stick the player in, you could have some cool effects with the boss racing around corners.

I meant in the cutscenes before circuit races, yes. If you can have multiple tracks in the cutscenes as you say then you could theoretically do previews of all of them. Even if you can't stick the player in, you could have some cool effects with the boss racing around corners.

Hmm, interesting idea. You could certainly show each track from a circuit. It would be a pain to insert all the props and stuff and position them correctly, but it's possible. Modding this game would be a LOT easier if someone could code something to do all the hard work for us. Surely it would be pretty easy to do? My coding knowledge doesn't go further than HTML so I couldn't do anything.

As for having the boss race around, that still sounds kind of complicated, but I guess it could be done without editing animations or anything by using animations from objects that move along the ground...hmm...actually, there are animated cars racing around the intro cutscene from the demo. So for Rocket Racer at least, that already exists. If we could use those animations with other car models then something like this might be possible.

But there must be some way to include the player and their car in a cutscene.

This should be possible as the player's car (no matter how it looks like) is presented in the intro of RR's so-called circuit.

This should be possible as the player's car (no matter how it looks like) is presented in the intro of RR's so-called circuit.

Exactly. It would be very easy to do by working within that cutscene, I guess. I'll do some playing around and try to get some images up later.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.