LEGO Universe Creation (Lab) Archiver - LUCA

Hobino

Hello all,

I consider this my first "serious" Python program. It's far from been greatly coded or polished at all, it's even far from been fully working! It's a start and I just thought I could share it here, knowing there are other Python programmers. ;)

So, the LEGO Universe Creation (Lab) Archiver, in brief, LUCA, is a simple tool (command line) that downloads the information for every creation from a Creation Lab username and create an HTML file out of it (for every creation). It also gets the pictures associated with the creation. (It will download the video and LDD files, but for now they will have the extension of .jpg, fixing that is next on my list.)

I just built version 0.2 of it, which work with the username instead of the memberid, making it more suitable for testing. If you want to have a look, follow the link bellow. To test the program, download the repository as ZIP and execute LUCA.exe in the "Builds" folder. It it supposed to work.

Github Repo: https://github.com/Brickever/LUCA

Hope you enjoy (a little)!

Note: The program is still in development, bugs and missing features are normal!

You aren't checking the Lego website are you? The LU creation lab is still up and is being stocked up on creations. Sorry, you are too late...

lol username

You aren't checking the Lego website are you? The LU creation lab is still up and is being stocked up on creations. Sorry, you are too late...

Sir, your confusing posts are... Well, becoming even more confusing somehow. :|

Anyway, this looks like it could be handy for those who actually used the creation lab. I never really did, aside from some really cruddy stuff around 2009-10-ish and some screenshot contest entries (one of which won me some Ninjago sets and in-game items and stuff), but meh.

What I am saying is that before LU was released or developed fully Lego put up a creation lab for Lego fans to post up their lego creations; wether digital or physical. Even after LU has shut down the Creation Lab is still going. It is somewhere in the Lego website.

lol username

What I am saying is that before LU was released or developed fully Lego put up a creation lab for Lego fans to post up their lego creations; wether digital or physical. Even after LU has shut down the Creation Lab is still going. It is somewhere in the Lego website.

We all know that. That's why this program was created: To download a user's creations there to their computer for safekeeping. What's your point?

lol username

Don't make me start again!

... Start what? 0.o I'm asking for clarification, and you keep making things even more strange.

RobExplorien

Too late? What does that even mean? Are you saying that this program is redundant because there already exists something similar? That is a very wrong assumption.

The program's purpose is to backup creations from the Creation Lab, while it is still up. 

Anyway, this looks like it could be handy for those who actually used the creation lab. I never really did, aside from some really cruddy stuff around 2009-10-ish and some screenshot contest entries (one of which won me some Ninjago sets and in-game items and stuff), but meh.

I have to agree on that.

I saw you made the repo the other day, but you had yet to commit any code to it. Good job! I'll have to try this out!

I assume you are using cx_Freeze to compile your Exe, (since you are using Python 3.3), but where is your setup script? You can use any of my setup.py scripts (actually, anyone can, since it is all open-source :P). If you're using a batch script, that's fine too, but then you can't compile an OS X build (assuming you ever get the chance to do so).

And not tested on Linux? Your Linux installation must not have Python 3.3, correct? Surely I thought you would test it on that OS, considering you use it (almost) all the time.

I am indeed using cx_Freeze, with the regular script (cxfreeze hello.py --target-dir dist). However, I will have to look into using a custom setup script and I'll probably have a look at yours. 

Because Github app is on Windows, I use that computer for coding and I didn't have time to test it on Linux. Python 3.2 is the latest version available from Debian repositories, is 3.3 compatible with 3.2? If not, I'll have to compile it myself...

I meant to tell you, Tasks Lists only work in Issues. If you want to see how they work, open an Issue (Issue #1), call it TODO (or whatever), and use the Tasks List syntax there. ;)

is 3.3 compatible with 3.2? If not, I'll have to compile it myself...

Yes, but not completely. The exceptions where majorly cleaned up in 3.3, and that reason alone is to use 3.3. If they were exactly compatible, there wouldn't be a 3.3, we would still use 3.2. Stick with 3.3. I know Ubuntu 13.04 comes with 3.3, but apparently VMware Player does not support that release (yet), and my installation always fails, so I'm stuck with 3.2 on Linux as well.

• 1 month later...

Hobino is away for a little bit, and AFAIK, can't come online to do this, so I'm going to do this for him.

LUCA 0.3 was released on June 23. It received some major internal updates, allowing some nice features to be added and stopping some nasty show-stopping bugs. Among the changes:

• Fixed hard-coded download path
  • Much clearer messages, error and sucess
  • Username input is case-insensitive, so Le717 works just like le717
  • A CLI "Progress Bar" that shows the name of the files being downloaded as they are downloaded, and how many were downloaded in total
  • Fixed a semi-rare bug where files could not be downloaded or LUCA crashed because of the filename

The last fix made LUCA complaint with the strict Windows "law" about allowed characters in filenames. All characters not allowed are silently replaced with a dash. So, if you have a creation called

A "Gift" for Vanda 
it will be saved as
A -Gift- for Vanda -P

LUCA is still very alpha, and not suitable for everyday use yet, so if you find a bug, please report it.

LUCA 0.3 can be downloaded here.

• 3 months later...

May expand post later, but for now, LUCA 1.0 is out.

What's new? Everything Hobino planned.

http://wp.me/pNyHd-yE

LUCA v1.0.1 is out. Fixes issues with no more than 72 Creations being downloaded.

Download here!

LUCA v1.0.3 is out, and is the last version ever. If you still need to archive your creations, it still works as the Lab is still up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojzrndvj7Ds

Edited by le717

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.