Cutscene base

Fush

This is something minor, but something that's been bothering me.

In the cutscene immediately after Frozen Frenzy (the one with the Tunnel Transport), you catch a brief glimpse of a base as the camera pans around.

I was able to pull 2 screen-grabs from different angles. Unfortunately these are the best and only views of the base I can get.

gallery_6559_313_8768.png

The first view. From the front. Closer, but blocked by Tunnel Transport

gallery_6559_313_5430.png

The second view. From top at an angle. In full view, but far away and difficult to make out any detail.

It's this base that bothers me.

It does not resemble the bases you build in-game, so I always assumed it was supposed to be the set. It's an easy assumption to make, however, upon closer inspection it does not appear to be that either. With the fleeting glimpse you get and the low resolution of the video it's difficult to get an idea of what it's supposed to look like.

So... what is it?

Can anyone get a good look at this base? It's really been bugging me. I want to know what this base

The Frozen Frenzy cutscene is actually this one, however there's actually another mistake here where Jet's bag is red.

It does look rather different though, but I would have thought it's just an original design that was changed for the final set release. I like the fence gate at the front and what appears to be two cockpits at the top, though.

O.T.
Also the minifigure models don't have holes either under or behind their legs.

I tried to get a picture I cannot find it on my computer, it is annoying! There does seem to be a cage wall against the rock and there is defiantly an Upgrade Station (the crane) and I think I can see a telepor pad. The entire thing looks like the base set but with 4 of its buildings missing.

If you was't a better screenshot then take a picture at the end of Frozen Frenzy when you find the base because the one in the game is meant to represent the one in this clip you are talking about.

The Frozen Frenzy cutscene is actually this one

the cutscene immediately after Frozen Frenzy

Anyway, as mentioned before, I don't have youtube access most of the time, else I'd pull a screengrab directly off that video.

But yeah... what's the deal with it?

I'd like to see someone attempt to recreate it if at all possible. Unfortunately LDD lacks the Rock Raiders-exclusive pieces, as do I IRL so that rules me out much as I'd like to.

The Frozen Frenzy cutscene is actually this one

>the cutscene immediately after Frozen Frenzy

Anyway, as mentioned before, I don't have youtube access most of the time, else I'd pull a screengrab directly off that video.

But yeah... what's the deal with it?

I'd like to see someone attempt to recreate it if at all possible. Unfortunately LDD lacks the Rock Raiders-exclusive pieces, as do I IRL so that rules me out much as I'd like to.

Oops, my mistake, although the cut scene you refer to is still about six levels before Frozen Frenzy (according to Lair's description).

Recreating it would be a nice idea, although it would have been easier if its features weren't so unique, i.e. there top dual cockpits are dissimilar to any other model. If a clearer screenshot can be provided then I'd love to see/help with rebuilding it.

the cut scene you refer to is still about six levels before Frozen Frenzy (according to Lair's description).

...but Frozen Frenzy is only the fifth level?

I distinctly remember that this cutscene comes between Frozen Frenzy and the next level because at the end of Frozen Frenzy you uncover a cavern containing the Tunnel Transport and (as Ben mentioned) a small base made to represent this one.

As I said in another topic,

My personal favorite is Frozen Frenzy, for the sole reason that it is the only level in the game with even the slightest connection to the cutscenes.

Specifically, your level goal is to uncover a cavern containing a small base and the Tunnel Transport (a unique goal in itself).

Next cutscene? shows the exact same base, waterfall and everything, with the Tunnel Transport taking off.

Every other cutscene in the game had literally nothing to do with, well, anything.

the cut scene you refer to is still about six levels before Frozen Frenzy (according to Lair's description).

I distinctly remember that this cutscene comes between Frozen Frenzy and the next level because at the end of Frozen Frenzy you uncover a cavern containing the Tunnel Transport and (as Ben mentioned) a small base made to represent this one.

Looks like we were both wrong.

Looks like we were both wrong.

When I said 'the fifth level,' I meant something closer to 'fifth tier'

While there are 8 levels leading up to Frozen Frenzy, they are sorted into 'tiers.' All levels on the same tier share the same cutscene, and only one level from each tier needs to be completed to unlock the tier under it. So the point I was making is that since there are only 5 cutscenes prior to FF, there is no cutscene 'six levels before it...'

But this is getting off topic. It seems we are all on the same page now, yes?

I'm glad you linked to that article, I had no idea the wiki had articles covering the cutscenes. (I know you linked to a level article, but it contained a link to a cutscene article I did not know about)

Those articles could use a bit of cleanup, but really what is there to say about them? I'm surprised someone thought they warranted articles of their own at all.

Waterfalcutscene.png

Looks like I finally got a picture of the base. It's even harder to tell what I'm looking at when it's just a still frame... and I'm sure there's a better angle at some point.

Well I can only make out one building as an actual Rock Raiders building, the Upgrade Station. There may be a Teleport Pad and top half of the Power Station on the right side too, but that's just guesswork.

I think recreating this will certainly be tricky and involve an element of improvisation in places.

PeabodySam

On a related note, it's also worth noting that, in this "Waterfall" cutscene as well as the "Lava" cutscenes, there is an alternate version of the Small Transport Truck.  I actually have attempted to recreate it in LEGO Digital Designer.  There's another variant that appears in the second "Lava Monster" cutscene, which appears closer to the actual model but has a mounted buzzsaw near the front of the vehicle.

One does wonder if these are simply alternate designs made up by Data Design Interactive for the game, or if these are also based on earlier models in the development of the Rock Raiders toys.

On a related note, it's also worth noting that, in this "Waterfall" cutscene as well as the "Lava" cutscenes, there is an alternate version of the Small Transport Truck.  I actually have attempted to recreate it in LEGO Digital Designer.  There's another variant that appears in the second "Lava Monster" cutscene, which appears closer to the actual model but has a mounted buzzsaw near the front of the vehicle.

One does wonder if these are simply alternate designs made up by Data Design Interactive for the game, or if these are also based on earlier models in the development of the Rock Raiders toys.

It seems probable that the design team would have gone through a few designs for each model during the game's creation. The models would need to be constantly refined for the sets, and I reckon the initial designs were sent to DDI before they were finalised, rather than DDI creating alternate designs. If I were designing a game from someone else's theme I'd stick as close to their models as possible.

Okay, after re-watching the cutscene in question it is near impossible to get a clear view of this base.

It appears twice- the first time it is larger, but the right half is blocked by the tunnel transport.

The second time you can see the whole thing but it is too small to make out any detail.

This is getting frustrating.

As for the alternate designs of the buildings, it's not that surprising. I mean you have multiple teams working from incomplete designs of course there will be inconsistency. The exact cause and effect notwithstanding, LEGO and DDI were working on Rock Raiders simultaneously, but not together. If one made a change, it did not affect the other, so you end up with two versions changed slightly in different ways... you get the idea.

There's another variant that appears in the second "Lava Monster" cutscene, which appears closer to the actual model but has a mounted buzzsaw near the front of the vehicle.

Hm... I like the design of this truck, I'm gonna try and make it myself.

EDIT:

gallery_6559_313_43958.png

EDIT 2: I made a mistake on ^. The clip that holds the buzzsaw should be one stud forward.

In other news, I took a look at the model for the small transport truck and what do you know, this truck is identical save for the headlight and buzzsaw.

I took another look at the actual RRHQ set, and another look at this base, and several more looks at each. From what I can tell it seems that this base is an early prototype for the RRHQ set. It uses the same baseplate, has a "bridge" across it like in the RRHQ set, and it has the crane and what looks like a teleport pad in the same spots as the final set.

The dual-cockpits are unique, as is the "gate" across the rock in front, and it lacks the ore chute and laser from the final...

This could add to our knowledge of LRR's development if we can get a better look at it.

• 5 weeks later...

From what I can tell it seems that this base is an early prototype for the RRHQ set.

This is exactly right, from what I remember. The cutscenes were started/created before the models had been finalized (and while the game itself was still very much in its infancy), so while it was very easy to update and change the in-game models, there are a number of things in the cutscenes that either didn't make it into the game itself, or that were changed during the game's development.

-snip-

Great find, although this still looks a little different to the prototype in the cutscene (thank you for confirming that rrcoder :)). The cockpit area is rotated 90 degrees, and the fence section is at the back.

Just to clarify, I noticed about a month ago that the two bases were the same. Just didn't think it was important, until this topic was posted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.