Tutorial: (semi-)Transparency in textures

RobExplorien

RobExplorien

Alpha compositioning in LEGO Racers textures

You probably already know how to work with the .BMP files, how to edit them and implement them in the game. If you don't know this, I advise you to check out >this tutorial. What hasn't been explained yet (in a more thorough way), is the use of alpha channels (also known as transparency) in these .BMP formats LEGO Racers uses.
Alright, to start off with, you cannot set a colour transparent/opaque in the .BMP files via the editing program you use. A pixel is either filled or clear in LEGO Racers. The alpha channel a .BMP file uses is defined in the files using the .TDB extension in the .JAM archive. Below follow some examples of the structure of a section of a .TDB file:

Example taken from MENUDATAPARTDBBODYPART.TDB

k_27    // Textures
[104]
{
 k_27    // Texture
 "il_dflt"
 {
  k_2A    // Bitmap (remove this to denote a TGA texture)
  k_28
 }
 k_27    // Texture
 "kk_chst"
 {
  k_28
 }
        ...             // Other 102 entries cut
}

This binary file structure is pretty common in the .JAM archive, when viewed with origamiguy's >Binary File Editor. It starts with k_27, which probably functions as to define what we're talking about in the file (which are textures). Under k_27 is a number, placed in square brackets. It defines the amount of entries that will follow between the (mandatory) curly brackets.
In our example, we have the IL_DFLT.BMP and KK_CHST.BMP texture files. You already know what these abbreviations mean if you read the skin texturing tutorial. The texture specifications are placed between curly brackets again, to indicate where these specifications refer to (in our case, IL_DFLT.BMP or KK_CHST.BMP). We won't go too much into the k_2A and k_28 now. Just a brief explanation of k_2A: "Denotes the use of a bitmap image, and can be replaced by a TGA (which is a(nother) raster graphics file format).".
So this structure is relatively simple to understand. I cannot spot any specified use of alpha channels here, can you? Indeed you can't, because we need a special statement to denote the use of a transparent colour in the designated .BMP file. Take a look at the next example.

Example taken from GAMEDATARACEC0R0IGD_MAP.TDB

k_27    // Textures
[1]
{
 k_27    // Texture
 "igd_map"
 {
  k_28
  k_2C    // Transparent Color  // CONFIRM THIS ONE
 }
}

This .TDB file is much smaller than the former one we've discussed, but that isn't of any issue here. Aside from the specifications 'pointing' to another .BMP file (which is IGD_MAP.BMP in this case), there is an extra statement for this texture. Ofcourse I'm talking about k_2C, and the comments in the code already hint this.
The k_2C statement is not hard to understand either. In the .TDB file it is referred as 'transparent color'. Below k_2C are three integers, and you always have to define these integers, when using the k_2C statement (hence the //CONFIRM THIS ONE comment). These three integers stand for an RGB colour code, where the first is for R, the second for G and the third for B. That's right, you can set a specific colour for a .BMP file to be used as transparent. A quick sidenote, the integers defined below k_2C cannot be lower than 0 or higher than 255, because RGB colour codes do not extend beyond these values.
In our example, we have IGD_MAP.BMP, which is the texture for the track map displayed in the lower right corner of the race screen. As you can see, the transparent colour for this texture is pure black. Therefore, all colours in the .BMP with pixels of this RGB value are, to simply put it, invisible for the user. Compare the two images below and you see that the blackness in the .BMP is not shown in the actual game.

gallery_6631_326_1655.png --> in-game --> gallery_6631_326_336.png

So, in order to use transparency for a texture, use the k_2C statement. To summarize it shortly:
1. Open the .TDB file and search for the texture (name) you desire to set (partially) transparent.
2. Use/Add the k_2C statement to define the RGB colour code (thus defining which colour will be used as transparent in the designated .BMP file), and save it again.
3. Open the .BMP you wish to texture (partially) transparent with an editor.
4. Select the RGB colour code you defined as to be used as transparent for this specific texture, and edit the texture with this colour to your likings.
5. Save the .BMP (in the right folder) using indexed color (to have the game 'notice' any possible transparency) and recompile and stuff (you know the drill).

Now we also have a method for applying semi-transparency to textures, which Brickulator discovered. For applying this we have to include another file, the .MDB file. So, what does the 'inside' of this file look like? Here we have the code for Veronica Voltage her chestpiece.

k_27    // Materials
[128]
{
 k_27    // Material
 "vv_chst"
 {
  k_29    // Diffuse Color
  k_28    // Ambient Color
  k_2C    // Texture Name
  "vv_chst"
  k_2D
  k_2B
 }
...       // other 127 entries cut

I can see similarities with the .TDB; both start with the k_27 statement, define the amount of entries to follow and denote the texture. So, where and how to apply semi-transparency? For that, we make use of the k_46 statement. Below this statement, we have to set a value ranging from 0 to 255. This value defines the opacity of the texture. The 255 value would be a solid-looking texture, and 0 would be a full transparent texture. Any value inbetween will result into a semi-transparent texture. Note that it is not clear whether it is possible to add 'regional' semi-transparency, e.g. only setting those with RGB values 240;220;0 semi-transparent. So, in order to use this, write the statement below like this:

k_27    // Materials
[128]
{
 k_27    // Material
 "vv_chst"
 {
  k_29    // Diffuse Color
  k_28    // Ambient Color
  k_2C    // Texture Name
  "vv_chst"
  k_2D
  k_2B
  k_46    // Alpa (0-255)
 }
...       // other 127 entries cut

Ofcourse you can use another value than 127, but this serves as an example. For her chestpiece, it results into the following output:

alpha.png

So, use the k_46 statement to apply the use of semi-transparency to a .BMP in-game. To summarize it shortly:
1. Open the .MDB file and search for the texture (name) you desire to set semi-transparent.
2. Use/Add the k_46 statement to define the opacity of the texture, and save it again in the correct folder.
3. Recompile the .JAM and stuff (you know the drill).

If you still have questions, or if you spot a mistake I might have made in this tutorial, I'm open for it.

Great tutorial Rob, you've explained it very well.

Do you think you could include adding transparency to a texture that does not originally have it? It's not too complicated.

RobExplorien

Do you think you could include adding transparency to a texture that does not originally have it? It's not too complicated.

2. Use/Add the k_2C statement to define the RGB colour code (thus defining which colour will be used as transparent in the designated .BMP file), and save it again.

I briefly covered that in the summary. But now I added the 'Add' word to emphasize this. 

Good work, Rob! But you forgot something: the BMPs must be saved using Indexed Color in order for the game to even realize the transparent color. Currently, we know that Photoshop (Elements, but also CS) does this, but I'm hoping I can find a setting in a free program I use semi-often that can do this as well. :)

RobExplorien

But you forgot something: the BMPs must be saved using Indexed Color in order for the game to even realize the transparent color.

Added in the summary now.

• 2 weeks later...
RobExplorien

Now added semi-transparency part for this tutorial, with Brickulator's consent.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.