LEGO and Sony Join Forces

lol username

lol username

Researchers at Sony Computer Science Laboratories have partnered with LEGO, to create experimental video game-LEGO model hybrids. It's very reminiscent of LEGO Spybotics, but with modern technology. The player models are operated via PlayStation controllers, with computer-controlled models to compete against.

According to Sony, LEGO is concerned about losing kids to video games, and are interested in merging video games with LEGO sets directly. The project is very experimental and still has a lot of things to work out - such as short battery life - and plans for commercial products haven't solidified yet, but it should be interesting to see where this goes.

Sources: The Verge
  • Like 1

Interesting...

LEGO won't lose to video games because video games aren't physical.

I like that smile fridge :) ( How about a fridge that only opens to people that aren't overweight :o )

The Ace Railgun

Interesting...

( How about a fridge that only opens to people that aren't overweight :o )

That is genius...Homer Simpson beware...

According to Sony, LEGO is concerned about losing kids to video games

j-j-jameson-laughing-o.gif

...And then we have the TT Games. I'm sorry, but that's what LEGO gets for allowing production of half-assed games with their products. And making a buckton of licensed themes.

I'm sorry. That just made me LOL. Still, sounds like a fine idea. Looking forward to its fruition.

Also, would this fit in Gaming or LEGO News? Looks like it could either way! 

• Like 1

That's a d*** move. What about us who are overweight but trying to lose it? We need to eat still...starvation will only make our weight worse.

Baaaaack to the topic: Looks interesting. Gonna love to see how it turns out. Might even get me back into lego.

• Like 2

That's a d*** move. What about us who are overweight but trying to lose it? We need to eat still...starvation will only make our weight worse.

8| You actually thought I was being serious? Why would anyone buy a fridge like this? A fridge telling you when you can and cannot eat... terrible. I'm actually surprised you would think I'd be in support of a fridge that would be compulsory, causing people who were battling weight to die of starvation... I'm not a monster D8. Additionally, I left that post with a gasp face... for good reason.

But just so you know, they are already making fridges (LG) telling you what you should eat.

Also see my opinions on stupid unnecessary technology in household appliances that I made in another topic... somewhere.

This looks really cool. If it doesn't require a Playstation, I would buy it. You could design your own simple 2-player games...maybe even a race course?

I liked that smile fridge too.

Olivus Prime

Some pretty cool tech on display there, but the whole "kids moving from LEGO to games" thing is somewhat troubling, considering LEGO's reaction to such an idea was partly why their financials collapsed in 2004.

Looks like Mindstorms to me.  Everything they did there could be done in Mindstorms.  If they really want that scale all they need to do is scale the current hardware down.  

Tauka Usanake

f****ing Japan... :P

All of this does look good. It has lots of promise to make some cool things. I think it's only a matter of time before we get intergrated LEGO bricks. And if you think about it, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Bricks could have information stored on them and depending on what you build it can have stats for it. Maybe how fast it could move and what power it could have.

I don't think I can see those camera bricks being made honestly. Besides the obvious hidden cam feature it would serve (and I would totally use it as such) it seems like way too much work for LEGO to bother themselves with. I can't see them following through with this project. Can anyone else?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.