Morbius fanclub

Lair

• 3 weeks later...

Just read of few your translations, Tazakk. Seems pretty accurate so far :) but you made one little mistake: 'Schwarzer Adlers Stamm' was not meant to be 'The Black Eagle Tribe' but the 'Tribe of Chief Black Eagle' instead. I'm sure the Timecruisers comic will make that more clear. Btw the character was called 'Chief Rattle Snake' in the UK catalogue.

Issue 5 is uploaded, sorry for the delay:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Just read of few your translations, Tazakk. Seems pretty accurate so far :) but you made one little mistake: 'Schwarzer Adlers Stamm' was not meant to be 'The Black Eagle Tribe' but the 'Tribe of Chief Black Eagle' instead. I'm sure the Timecruisers comic will make that more clear. Btw the character was called 'Chief Rattle Snake' in the UK catalogue.

Issue 5 is uploaded, sorry for the delay:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Thanks! For whatever reason Google wanted to translate 'Schwarzer Adler' as 'Schwarzer Adler,' despite suggesting 'Black Eagle' as another alternative. 8S I guess I must've just assumed it was just 'Black Eagle Tribe' when I was sorting through that.

Issue 5 is looking quite interesting. It's fascinating that they've done a comic with the CGI Dragon from Advance's Fright Knights/UFO commercial. I wonder how involved Advance was in LWC Magazine, seeing as the author of the Time Cruisers comics is part of their team.

The CGI dragon was also part of a TV commercial that was solely based on Fright Knights and that aired around christmas '97. A few of the images on pages 2-3 are screencaps of this commercial.

• Like 2

Ooh, more! That UFO comic is cool, though I'm too lazy to translate it at the moment. The Time Cruisers comic is really quite a cliffhanger- *shot*

I'm also really excited about the UFO comic--I liked those sets more than any Space theme, so I had almost all of them.  Sometimes my handful of Exploriens would team up with the single RoboForce set I had to combat them, but they mostly had adventures like this on their own. :)

So between the two Indian comics (oh my, but some of that stuff would never fly in America) we seem to have a lot of names for previously unnamed minifigures...interesting. I know LEGOLand has lots of different Chiefs running around, but this is the first time I've seen two tribes explicitly identified.

Dark Turtle, these magazine scans continue to be the best part of my day when they're posted. :)

TC

Next Time Cruisers comic:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

emptypanel.png

I've noticed a few things sort of similar to this as I've been translating, but this particular example seems to be rather telling. The second part of the chief's speech bubble is empty. Is it possible these comics originally produced in another language, that included additional text in this panel? And if so, where would they have been published?

All the random "Ughs"...so hilarious!

Chief Black Eagle again...so at least they're using names consistently between the two comics this time. :) One of the things I like most about this art style is the occasional nods back to LEGO like the stud shapes on the tree branch in this installment.

Can't wait to see the UFO comics translated and the next Time Cruisers comic--the waterfall cliffhanger was a cliche even back then, but it's a good one.  :lol:

TC

Well that wasn't what I expected. Did I miss a time travel segment or is something weird going on? :lol:  Love this version of the Extreme Team though.

This is great. Maddox is completely insane.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

I just can't stop smiling at the absurdity of this situation. Tim is trapped in a cramped helicopter cockpit that has been completely engulfed in flames. And the entire thing is moments away from exploding and spiraling into a gaping abyss. Can even the most powerful of deus ex machinas save him now?

It amuses me that the comic is picking up the tradition from MANIA Magazine where the Extreme-Teamers continually find themselves in life-threatening situations and must be rescued by RES-Q.

• Like 3

And with more comics come more translations - you guys are awesome. I'm loving the Extreme Team even more now, Maddox is great.

WHAT IS THIS WHAT IS THIS

No really, things just get worse and worse. The situation that Tim gets himslef into gets more and more absurd...

<fridge logic> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic

Wait... that waterfall is near the Indians...

SO HOW DID MADDOX GET THERE?

More to the point, how come the Indians hadn't attacked The Xtreme Team and stolen their vehicles?

This makes no sense.

None whatsoever.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

This makes no sense.

None whatsoever.

That's the point, it doesn't make sense and rarely does. The only thing that makes sense is that it is always spiraling down into absurdity. Heh.

Edit: 100th Post!

Actually the overall quality went a bit down in the second year I'm afraid. And actually: what would you expect story-wise from a town-themed TC episode? :lol: But don't worry, they didn't jump the shark right yet... Next issue might be a bit better...

Have you realized that Town Comic wasn't assembled to provide that story, but is rather just a collage of reused set-box photos or catalogue imagery? It's something that will plague this entire year of issues, just to warn you :P Also the way they published things changed:

The 'Activity Pack' became a physical part of the magazine itself, although in a whee bit strange way.

The 'Shop' got shrunken down from DIN A4 to DIN A5, also all the cartoony imagery featuring LEGO characters was cut.

A new paperwork was included called 'Mach Mit!' ('Join Us!' might be the closest translation I guess...)

A bit earlier than expected, issue 2:

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/gallery/album/403-lego-world-club-1998-issue-2/

In case your main interest is the Tim TC comic:

Yep. They say Prof. Articus/Dr. Kilroy IS Dr.Cyber's genetically brother. This is the point where the comic IMO directly contradicts the audio drama canon, as Cyber invented the Timecruiser Flybo in 3777 A.D. yet though Articus and Freeman started their Exploration in 1910 A.D. ...

The 'Photo' comic mentions the characters. I hope this is general knowledge by now:

Joe Freeman=Johnny Thunder

Linda Lovelay=Gail Storm/Pippin Read

Prof. Articus=Dr. Charles Lightning/Dr. Kilroy

Billy Speed=Harry Cane

Mr. Hates=Baron von Barron/Sam Sanister

Sly Boots=Sam Sinister (they really messed this one up, didn't they?)

Ramses III=Pharaoh's Mummy (Inever considered 'pharaoh's mummy' a name, but anyways, the audio drama calls him Ramses IV, both Ramses actually existed in real history... another name that exists for the mummy is 'Hotep' which I consider his real name, though it's a more a mockery of real egyptian names as in Amen-Hotep/Amenophis for example)

PS: In case anybody seems interested in that hieroglyphs stuff they mentioned on one page, just be told, I know quite a bit of that stuff and most of what they printed on '98 adventurers bricks IS authentic in a certain way, although most of it reads simply 'RYGO' which is the closest thing one could spell 'LEGO' in ancient egypt ^^ but I guess this is getting a bit off-topic xD

Mergy mergy - jamesster

Yep. They say Prof. Articus/Dr. Kilroy IS Dr.Cyber's genetically brother. This is the point where the comic IMO directly contradicts the audio drama canon, as Cyber invented the Timecruiser Flybo in 3777 A.D. yet though Articus and Freeman started their Exploration in 1910 A.D. ...

Whoa. Didn't see that one coming!

Also wow, it's cool to see the Adventurers characters in this style. Never would have thought of Slyboots like that (I ran a little bit through google translate - he's a former boxer?). I assume Johnny/Joe will show up in the next issue?

Thanks again!

The Sly Boots boxer past is a nod to the audio drama included in 5938 Oasis Ambush.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqazeTJoto

I'm not aware of any others (aside from the Orient Expedition one) so I'd assume so. I don't speak German so I've had to rely on English transcripts (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76762 and http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85529) but those cover Pirates, Time Cruisers, and Castle - Town, Western, and Adventurers haven't been transcribed//translated yet.

Yes, exactly. The story is basically about how the various characters met and begin their quest for the 'Red Ruby'. It also tells a few other things like Articus having a pet cobra named 'Cleopatra' or Mr. Hates having lost his hand while stealing a diamond in india.

• Like 4

Thanks once again for doing all of this, Dark_Turtle.

It's disappointing that they resorted to stock art of the sets for the comics after 1997. Seeing as 1998 is the year photo-based comics started up for MANIA magazine, I would hazard a guess that the team making them must've moved to the other publication.

A lot of the changes in World Club from 97 to 98 seem like they were made to condense it. I wonder if the budget was cut? It's too bad, in any case.

Speaking of the Time Cruisers comic specifically, I'm a little surprised that the Time Twisters didn't make an appearance. They must've been restrained to the Jan/Feb issue of Klick, plus maybe the first two pages of the March/April comic, seeing as Klick probably wouldn't have done the whole exposition part in the equivalent issue of World Club when for them comic was already ongoing.

The most recent issue doesn't disappoint. I had my money on the Flybo being abandoned, seeing as it was left in the land of a 1997 theme. I was assuming the Microzapper we've seen in the bits we have of later issues was going to replace it here, but I guess that comes later. It is sort of weird that Professor Cyber, who we last saw distraught over accidentally sending Tim somewhere in time and space, is suddenly sending out a search party not to save him, but to have him go help his brother. I'm wondering if there is maybe a piece of the story that we've missed out on from the earlier Klick issues, where Cyber and Tim meet up again and Tim intentionally decides to continue adventuring.

It seems Tim's last name has just changed to Timebuster, unfortunately without explanation.

All of these little background details on the Adventurers characters are excellent. Slyboots the retired prizefighter- it sure is a far cry from his role as the master planner in the US continuity. And Articus is Cyber's brother. Who would've thought?

I could probably go on, but here's a comic for you.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

• Like 4

Wow, so much great stuff! Not the least of  which is the revelation that Dr. Cyber and...uh, Dr. Charles "Lighting" Articus Kilroy?...are brothers. Or maybe half brothers, given their different last names.

In any case, I seem to remember the American Adventurers storyline having Johnny Thunder being the nephew of the professor-of-many-names, so Cyber would be his uncle as well. I wasn't expecting such a large extended family; it's like the Wold Newton of LEGO.

TC

I really wonder what kinds of what-the-************ery (never mind "subtle" fridge logic, this story is wackier than the Wacky Races) lies the next issues.

Edit:

Lu7bAMr.gif

Never mind the comic, its readers somehow manage to top it.

• Lair changed the title to Morbius fanclub

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.