Morbius fanclub

Lair

Fushigisaur, I have the second comic of this. I can scan it.

Yes please!

Also, the bad translation... that had me laughing so hard. "Oracle of Ages?" That's the title of a Zelda game. How the mother flipping hell did it come up with that?

lol username

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the slight visual edit I made to Tim on the second page... Looks like EXRicky used my images as the base for his translation, as my edit is in his, too. :P

• Like 2

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. I can't think of anything but to offer my applause to all of the expert translators we now have.

oops.jpg

...oh.

repaired.jpg

• Like 3

Well based on the two REAL translations that have been posted, plus my own I've been working on, I think I now know pretty much exactly what each panel is supposed to say... I'll clean up the wording to be a bit less Engrish-y and see if I can fit it well into the original image, to release a sort of 'final cut.'

Another note, according to the Brickipedia page the monkey's name is "Ingo," but he's called "Ali" in this comic. Localization change? And if so should I use the "correct" name when I put this together?

Now all we need is the second half of this. Cyrem? I'm waiting ;P

lol username

Another note, according to the Brickipedia page the monkey's name is "Ingo," but he's called "Ali" in this comic. Localization change? And if so should I use the "correct" name when I put this together?

Yeah, that's localization - Ingo in some places, Ali in others. The same happened to the robot character, who was called Wacco, Cranky the Robot, and Robbi Robot, in different places.

Yeah, that's localization - Ingo in some places, Ali in others. The same happened to the robot character, who was called Wacco, Cranky the Robot, and Robbi Robot, in different places.

Which still leaves the issue of which name to use. I'm leaning towards Ali right now, since that's the name the comic uses, but if Ingo is his 'English' name then it might be more appropriate to use that in an English version.

Another thing I forgot to mention, in the first panel of the second page the thought bubble leads to Sparks and not Tim. No one's seemed to notice it and it seems most people have assumed that it's Tim's thought bubble... but what if it's not? I mean, from the context it makes much more sense for Tim to be thinking it, but who knows. Also in the same panel there is a bubble with text too small to read... Don't know what to make of that.

Also in the same panel there is a bubble with text too small to read... Don't know what to make of that.

From what I read there, the small bubble says 

Sind Sie bereit, Doc?

This would mean

Are you ready, Doc?

in English.

I also guess that the bubble leading to Sparks is misplaced and should belong to Tim.

Also in the same panel there is a bubble with text too small to read... Don't know what to make of that.

From what I read there, the small bubble says 

Sind Sie bereit, Doc?

This would mean

Are you ready, Doc?

in English.

I also guess that the bubble leading to Sparks is misplaced and should belong to Tim.

So, feeling bored, I plugged what you said into the Translator... and got this:

Original text:

"This would mean Are you ready, Doc? in English. I also guess that the bubble leading to Sparks is misplaced and should belong to Tim."

...35 translations later, Bing gives us:

"In other words, the doctor will be ready and everybody on the team I think Hulk power."

I THINK HULK POWER!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
lol username

I've been talking with TalonCard on Eurobricks about old LEGO comics and the like, and sent him a link to this topic...

jamesster,

That Time Cruisers/Rock Raiders comic really is something! I was excited and confused when I saw that. Quite apart from the unusual combination of cartoon people with LEGO models, I had never expected to see Time Cruisers interacting with any post 1997 theme! That is pretty cool. I've done some digging, and I've tracked down the artist's web site. Judging from his CV, the Tim Timebuster comic went on for quite some time. You can find quite a few more pictures and even some of the comics there--I particularly like this one and his interpretation of the Time Twisters is very cool.

I've been in touch with the artist, and he says that while it was a long time ago, he'll look over the material and get back to me about the stories, so hopefully we'll hear more about that in the future.

http://hagenillustration.carbonmade.com/projects/2065192#1

http://hagenillustration.carbonmade.com/projects/2072948#27

:D

Awesome! Based solely on Bricklink's listings for LEGO magazines, and whatever else I have been able to find on the internet, I would suppose that the comic lasted from the Time Cruisers launch in 1996 to 2000, at which point World Club Magazine seemed to go through some sort of reorganization and replaced Bricks n' Pieces in the UK. At that point, it seems that Adventures in LEGO World became the new comic (interestingly, the very comic also replaced the Adventures of the LEGO Maniac in MANIA Magazine a year later). I am not completely certain, but Klick (the magazine referenced at the bottom of the poster) would appear to be a French LEGO magazine, which perhaps had much of the same content as World Club. At least, these covers seem to be in French.

I like that the Time Cruisers comic seems to have had an ongoing story; reminiscent of the Captain Indigo comics and a little different than the episodic approach of the Adventures of the LEGO Maniac.

I hope the artist has more information on the connection to Max Timebuster, if there is one at all. It would be especially cool if the comic actually stretched back earlier into the 1990s, and featured Max initially, with his relationship with Tim somehow being a transition into the Time Cruisers part of the series.

EDIT: I have translated the second Rock Raiders comic from his site. The end half transitions into Trains, but the text seems to be absent for that part.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

I was unable to find a way to access the original images, so I had to take screenshots and work off of those. Unfortunately, this means that the comic is rather low resolution, making it incredibly difficult in some places to make out the letters comprising the text. I did the best I could, but there likely a few errors, and I was completely unable to translate one text bubble.

lol username

Thanks Tazakk! Man, there sure is a lot of translation work going on in the LEGO community recently. :P

To quote TalonCard again:

Though I'm still waiting on more information, Kim Hagen's linkedin profile indicates that the Tim Timebuster comic started in 1994, two years before Time Cruisers was released, and around the same time the minifigure who came to be called Max Timebuster appeared.

I wouldn't be surprised if the idea for a baseball cap wearing LEGO time traveler named "Timebuster" who travels in time machines built with pieces from different time periods originated somewhere in LEGO Futura or Advance, and eventually manifested itself in catalog material for the preexisting Town minifigure before becoming a comic and a theme. Hopefully more information will turn up.

Interesting that he calls the comic "Tim Timebuster." I would think that, if the first two years of it didn't have Tim at all, he wouldn't call it that. Could it be that Tim, and perhaps Doctor Cyber as well, were characters originally created for this comic? It might explain why Tim has the rather inaccurate-to-set red cap with a smiling yellow face on it in the comic, as well as Cyber's many inaccuracies to his minifigure form. It may also mean that the bizarrely styled faces of the Time Cruisers minifigures, with more realistic eyes and the presence of noses, were in fact an attempt to mimic the style of the comic.

But if this is the case, how does Max fit in? Maybe it is as TalonCard said, and he was developed by Advance or Futura. Then someone on the staff for Klick or World Club decided that he would be an interesting basis for a comic. Then Kim Hagen Jensen, who is put in charge of the comic, develops Tim and Cyber to serve as a foil to Max's nefarious doings. Someone at LEGO likes the comic and pitches it as a new theme, and in 1996 we get Time Cruisers. At that point (or perhaps a year later, when the Time Twisters become clear antagonists to Tim and Cyber), Max is dropped as he is not featured in any sets.

Perhaps a little far-fetched for a theory, but then some pretty far-fetched things happened with LEGO during the 90s.

Anyway, translations of the excerpts from the two other comics on Jensen's website:

City Center 1

City Center 2

Arctic 1

Arctic 2

• Like 1

lol username

Perhaps the artist will have more information on how all this developed - pretty crazy stuff. Thanks for the translations again!

• 1 month later...

While we're waiting for more information from TalonCard/Kim Hagen, I wanted to share a little more I found that sheds a bit more light on these comics.

I was browsing through Bricklink's catalog of World Club Magazin issues and noted that it isn't just what they have recorded that starts at March/April 1997 - the issue is labeled as Nr. 1, so it is actually the first published issue. That means that the first few years of the Time Cruisers comic would have been exclusive to Klick.

I had mostly ignored Klick up to now because I just figured it was the same thing as the German World Club Magazin, but under a different title. Since this was apparently not the case, I looked into Klick more and found this. The focus of the article is Scala (apparently LEGO's most expensive product launch at the time - I imagine it must have been painful when the theme failed spectacularly), but more interesting is the latter part, that talks about the introduction of the LEGO World Club in Germany (confirming that the magazine did launch in 1997). It also says that that Klick was produced for the Austrian market, so apparently the French version that we have the images of a couple of covers for online is a translated version and not the original.

Worth noting is that as late as 2000 World Club expanded to what I think would be Australia, and unlike the UK version this one seems to be a direct translation of the German version. This would mean that any Time Cruisers comics from 2000 and beyond are available in English.

Finally, I found an old eBay listing for Issue 3 of Klick (expertly categorized as a pre-1980 Erector Set). It's dated August 1996, which implies that the magazine started early/mid that year, but it could be that that is just the French edition and the Austrian one goes back further.

• Like 1

The first translation is hilarious. I love the Bad Translator.

*pluggs into BT*

"First, the live version is any version of the."

What the?

And I'd always wondered about where Fushigisaur got his signature picture. I thought you had stolen some obscure Obelix and Asterix cartoons and used that. It had never crossed my mind that the character actually was involved with Rock Raiders.

ANYWAYS, back on topic, those are very interesting comics. Very very interesting. Any other comics in non-English languages? :P

Any other comics in non-English languages? :P

There are definitely more, but I can't think of any that are available exclusively in another language. All the rest I know of are available in English, except maybe for a couple of short promotional comics from catalogs.

Yay, so many new comics for people to mistranslate!

DID SOMEBODY SAY MISTRANSLATE?

docsisstillmanly.png

Blatant advertisement for "Two Worlds" Chapter 38 is blatant.

Your eyes do not deceive you; this is not a blown-up pixelated version of the thumbnail on his website, but the actual full-size original file.  With a bit of digging, I was able to locate the full-size version of the comic on the website: Page 1 and Page 2.    I was able to accomplish this by means of right clicking and selecting "View Page Source".  Towards the bottom, you can find the URLs for the thumbnails accompanied by the dimensions of the original file.  Swapping out those dimensions for those in the thumbnail URL will give you the full-size image.  This can also be done with the other images and comics in the gallery, though because I'm a lazy bum Rock Raiders fan, I decided only to do the Rock Raiders comic pages.

• Like 2

Your eyes do not deceive you; this is not a blown-up pixelated version of the thumbnail on his website, but the actual full-size original file.  With a bit of digging, I was able to locate the full-size version of the comic on the website: Page 1 and Page 2.    I was able to accomplish this by means of right clicking and selecting "View Page Source".  Towards the bottom, you can find the URLs for the thumbnails accompanied by the dimensions of the original file.  Swapping out those dimensions for those in the thumbnail URL will give you the full-size image.  This can also be done with the other images and comics in the gallery, though because I'm a lazy bum Rock Raiders fan, I decided only to do the Rock Raiders comic pages.

Thanks! I'll update my translations once I'm done with the next issue of World Club Magazine.

Also, it turns out that there are plenty of people selling issues of World Club Magazine and Klick online, they just don't ship to the US. I found this, though, confirming Klick did start back in 1995.

they just don't ship to the US

If you really want them, I would buy them and send them to you. Of course you would have to pay for the shipping and the price of the magazines.

Just saw that it is Austria... I would have to ask him whether he would send it to Germany.....

• Lair changed the title to Morbius fanclub

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.