Morbius fanclub

Lair

Planet Aurum, eh? Assuming that is actually the name of the planet and I'm not misinterpreting the German, I haven't heard of that before. And is that the Black Knight?

Planet Aurum, eh? Assuming that is actually the name of the planet and I'm not misinterpreting the German, I haven't heard of that before. And is that the Black Knight?

Yep, Aurum and the Black Knight. The Exploriens are a research mining team that uncovers gold in this story.

Sadie Meowsalot

Apparently there was a colourist before Jesper:

"I only knew Bjarne Hansen. He was the colorist before me. Kim had all the correspondence"-Jesper Ejsing

For your reading pleasure:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Full Brickshelf gallery is here, when public.

Fushi, it'd be awesome if you could add these to your album for easier viewing.

It probably goes without saying, but I'll be editing together English versions of the other 1996 comics once Sadie is able to procure them.

And while I'm thinking of it, any chance we could get this topic renamed to something more appropriate? We've got a lot more going on now than just a German Rock Raiders comic.

• Like 4

Thanks. You missed a bubble on page 8 though.

I've edited the topic title. Might be nice to put a summary of all this in the OP, too, as this topic is 20+ pages long now... What should that summary contain?

Well of course I missed a bubble! It's a tradition at this point. Should be fixed now.

A link to a gallery of the comics would be good for the OP (Fushi's probably, though it doesn't have the Prinzenrolle comic at this point), maybe a quick paragraph on what we know of the comic's background as well. It'd be nice to see the original first post preserved as well, for posterity's sake.

Yeah, that's the obvious stuff... I was basically just hoping for somebody to summarize the comic's history for me, as I don't know all of it with 100% certainty off the top of my head and there's 21 pages to go through. :P I'll dig through and assemble everything. Not like I have much else going on tonight.

• Like 2

Fushi, it'd be awesome if you could add these to your album for easier viewing.

I'm on it! ...but I'm not sure where to put them, in relation to the rest of the pages. Is this even within the main comic's continuity, or is it it's own separate thing?

I guess I could stick it at the beginning, or at the end. I can put a link in the description to skip right to the start of this comic, but unfortunately I can't do any kind of formatting in the description, so far as I can tell.

BTW I guess I should probably update the description anyway with more detailed/accurate/updated information, not to mention it's worded a bit awkwardly.

ALSO: Holy s*** is that Spyrius? I completely forgot that was even a thing. Wow.

I'm on it! ...but I'm not sure where to put them, in relation to the rest of the pages. Is this even within the main comic's continuity, or is it it's own separate thing?

I guess I could stick it at the beginning, or at the end. I can put a link in the description to skip right to the start of this comic, but unfortunately I can't do any kind of formatting in the description, so far as I can tell.

BTW I guess I should probably update the description anyway with more detailed/accurate/updated information, not to mention it's worded a bit awkwardly.

ALSO: Holy s*** is that Spyrius? I completely forgot that was even a thing. Wow.

I'd put it at the beginning. Until we see more of the normal 1996 comics it is hard to say if this fits into the main comic continuity. It is quite possible it won't, but I personally would still sort it with the other 1996 comics since it was made at the same time and features the same LEGO themes. That's more of a personal preference thing, though, so by all means do what makes the most sense to you.

Done. Prinzenrolle comic added to album, and description has been completely re-wrote. Let me know if it sounds okay, I considered going more in-depth about the history behind the comics but I realised I didn't have a good enough grasp on the situation to do so, so I just kept to the basics.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Sadie Meowsalot

Thomas Warming (illustrator for the Time Cruisers boardgame) sent me some things recently. Among them are some sketches for some of the boardgame cards, and some conceptual drawings of a LEGO restaurant he designed.

Time Cruisers boardgame card sketches:

lego01_sh.jpglego02_sh.jpglego03_sh.jpg lego04_sh.jpglego05_sh.jpglego06_sh.jpg
lego07_sh.jpglego08_sh.jpglego09_sh.jpglego11_sh.jpglego12_sh.jpglego17_sh.jpg

LEGO Palace Restaurant:

lego_palace1_sh.jpglego_palace2_sh.jpg

"I also did a lot of concept development for lego in the 1990's for Lego Futura.  All the work I did for lego was through a danish advertising agency called Courage

except for the concept work, which was direct. I also did concept design but that was done in a lego-look
meaning cars and stuff but they wanted me to draw it so it looked like real cars and not lego - that way they could focus on elements they liked and try to convert that into the lego-look
so all that stuff is not really lego work unless you know. Sadly back in the day all original material was owned by the agency or Lego and not the artist."-Thomas Warming

• 4 months later...
Sadie Meowsalot

I found a couple Klick magazine advertisements in a French catalog here
Unfortunately they're not legible as far as I can tell, and there's a watermark over them, so someone would have to buy the catalog to properly scan them.
%24_12.JPG?rt=nc

Edited by Sadie Meowsalot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Sadie Meowsalot

I've been corresponding lately with Annemette Allerup (Copywriter for Klick and World Club magazine), and she recently sent me this email with lots of detailed information on the origin, history, and development of the publications:

"A trip down Memory Lane:

Unfortunately, I just moved and on that occasion threw out my stack of LEGO magazines but they must have them in the advertising department in Billund, DK. They – under the leadership of Ole Primdahl – gave me the assignment. You may get thru to Mads Nipper?

Originally it was an assignment for testing in Switzerland in the 80s. Because LEGO had realized that there was a decline of interest in LEGO bricks with a great number of kids (boys mainly at that time) once they turned 6 or 7, started school and other activities, they wanted to create a kids’ magazine with some of the same educational values as LEGO – a magazine that indirectly should support the different LEGO  universes. This became the KLICK magazine which was marketed in Switzerland for a few years. KLICK had stories about visiting a space centre in the US, about going on a boat ride (not many boat rides in Switzerland), about aeroplanes, cars and other things from real life that indirectly related to LEGO universes of that time. We also had a small cartoon, I don’t remember the name, and a relative small part of promotion for new LEGO products.

KLICK was well received and tested fine but due to wrong marketing it never became the magazine success LEGO had hoped for. They both asked for subscriptions and handed out free issues at events so naturally they did not reach the number of paying subscribers they had anticipated. The project was closed after I don’t remember how long, maybe 2 yrs.

4-5 years later however, a marketing man revived the idea of having a magazine that could keep the 6-8 yr old boys interested in their LEGO, get the bricks clicking for a longer time in the kids’ rooms, make LEGO stay on the wishing list for Christmas and birthdays.
This time the project started in Austria and again, was intensely tested before launch. The editorial concept this time was far more clearly focused on LEGO – the magazine was initially named LEGO Explorers – for curious and creative LEGO fans, and it brought storytelling about seasonal LEGO launches as well as some educational background stories about i.e. ancient Egypt, the Middle Ages, Underwater exploring etc. clearly linking to the different LEGO products.

Tim Timebuster was developed in the first part of this project – later developed into Time Cruisers. The idea was to be able to jump from one LEGO universe to the next – suitable to the season’s launches og different products. Tim and the story was developed by me and Kim Hagen.

There was also room for local promotions and copromotions – and for puzzles and riddles. This intensified as the project was extended to more countries firstly Switzerland and France, later Germany. The magazine was issued in different languages – makes a great difference for the puzzles and riddles – and for the organization of  local promotions and copromotions.

The Austrian magazine was tested with regular intervals – group interviews with kids were done to adjust (rather few) editorial mistakes. Same procedure was carried out in the French speaking countries Switzerland and France – some local differences resulted in local adjustments.

But then Germany wanted to launch a proper club project and the magazine became front runner of the LEGO World Club project which enhanced also visits to LEGOLAND Germany and a number of direct selling and merchandising activities. Again intensive research was carried out regularly – and all showed that receiving and reading the magazine stimulated playing with own bricks and wishing new ones immensely.

At that time we made a great effort to tell background stories about the popular film universes that LEGO developed products related to – for instance Harry Potter. Thus again activating interest in getting the bricks out again with popular startersMed venlig hilsen

The Club Magazine also was adapted by several other countries – amongst others in the Far East – so I’ve seen it in a Korean version! Rather funny! I believe we reached printing in  a number of 13 countries.

LEGO World Wide however, had a wide range of other magazine and club projects so around yr 2000 or so, it was decided to collect them all in one organization in the US. I don’t know whether this is still the case?

Ole Primdahl has moved to the US, I believe he’s retired,  but I’m sure he can help you further.

Feel free to get back to me

Annemette"

Fascinating stuff. If Klick Austria was a 1994/5 debut, then the Switzerland one would be somewhere around '89/'90... I wonder what the comic could've been.

to adjust (rather few) editorial mistakes

You've big shoes to fill, Pereki l405G.jpg

.. and I think Lego Club did a better job at marketing, at the least l405G.jpg EDIT: STUPID EDITOR

Edited by aidenpons

Sadie Meowsalot

I posed some more specific queries to Annemette earlier which she responded to a bit ago:

"Kim Hagen told me earlier that the TimeBuster concept was based on a huge TimeBuster car build which came either from LEGO or Courage. I'll ask you some follow-up questions now.

1) I've been wondering, was it LEGO or Courage the TimeBuster car build came from? 
2) Would you be able to tell me how the TimeBuster concept originated and when/where it was first conceived?
3) Do you know if Max Timebuster of the 1994-1996 Klick TimeBuster series has any connection to the other Max Timebuster, the time-travelling criminal primarily featured within the Town theme who first appeared around 1993 and is featured within various catalogs and commercials?
3a) If not, do you know how the other Max Timebuster came about?
4) Was the later Time Cruisers LEGO theme directly inspired by the earlier TimeBuster series?"-Sadie

Her response:

"1&2. The Timebuster car was one LEGO had received from a keen buileder and big fan – Ole Primdahl showed it to me and we decided to use it for a cartoon in the magazine because it made it possible to travel from one LEGO universe to another in an exciting way. It also supported the idea of combining bricks from different universes. Together we described the opportunities of the concept, but the character and cartoon was creatively developed in cooperation with Kim Hagen whom I had hired for a free lance artist for the magazines. And over the years we published the cartoon, it developed a bit.

3&4. I believe it was our Max Timebuster that inspired the other one But I’m not sure – it’s a US matter I believe

Time Cruisers as a theme was definitely inspired by the good response from the cartoon in the magazines.

I’m not 100% sure of all this. I believe you should get ahold of Ole Primdahl. He was with LEGO for many, many years and in charge of everything with the international magazines until they were all united in the US setup in the late nineties.I believe he’s on holiday just now but he’s moved to the States, is retired but definitely not forgetful. I got contact with him thru Facebook."-Annemette 

• Like 4

Nice! The comic inspired the theme, confirmed confirmed.

And apparently it all started with some random guy who wanted to show his cool creation to LEGO. Old LEGO company was just the best.

Nice! The comic inspired the theme, confirmed confirmed.

And apparently it all started with some random guy who wanted to show his cool creation to LEGO. Old LEGO company was just the best.

*looks at the Lego Club: Cool Creations*

:cry:

• 4 months later...

Hey thread! It's been a few months. Almost half a year, actually. But good stuff is happening!

I happened on some 1995-96 issues of Klick being sold on an Austrian classifieds site. Got in touch with the lady who listed them, sent over some Euros and now they should be coming to me in the mail. Unless the same disaster as last time befalls us, this will be our first look at the original run of the Time Cruisers comic, which we know had at least a slightly different, possibly more story-oriented approach than the 97-onward issues we have. The change was done because the comic kept getting added to new countries where new kids couldn't be left confused. But in the time these issues come from, the comic was only in Austria (or at least, that should be the case). Also some of these will definitely predate the launch of the Time Cruisers theme.

Fun stuff! I also came across this, which (incredibly bizarrely) appears to be a complete backup of the Austrian LEGO website in 1997.

39vDNDP.png

Edited by Pereki
  • Like 7

if

yes

We've been trouving the whole internet for Time Cruisers (Why did I type "Time Raiders?" l405G.jpg) related stuff and now you come up with this.

Appreciate the offer, JHUYSER, but the board game is pretty well documented on the internet already. Its mostly these comics that are hard to track down.

Appreciate the offer, JHUYSER, but the board game is pretty well documented on the internet already. Its mostly these comics that are hard to track down.

Oh it is? We have something we can actually look at with relative ease? l405G.jpg That's surprising...

• Lair changed the title to Morbius fanclub

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.