Rock raider remakes

Ben24x7

Have you created a model, picture, drawing or animation to do with either Rock raiders or Rock Raiders United then post it here! I'll start of with two minifigure models:

Axel:

The improved Axel model, If you have a hat model that is in the form 3D Studios then please send that file over to me as I really do need a helment for Axel.

Docs:

This is my improved Docs model. It may need a few changes but overal I am impressed.

These are the original pictures before the edits:

Docs:

Axel:

Thats me, what Rock raider stuff will you post up?

Brickulator

These look really nice, although on the Doc fig the decal colours don't quite match up to the body parts. You can see the difference between the face and the rest of the head, and the torso is a little off too. But the models themselves look really good, what did you use to make these?

Nice models, and it's great that they can be posed so well in 3D programs unlike LDD.

As Brickulator stated, the colours are a little off - in my own use of the decals, I cut out all the grey areas of the decals so that they were transparent, meaning the colour of the objects they were placed on would be the colour seen.

lol username

But the models themselves look really good, what did you use to make these?

Nice models, and it's great that they can be posed so well in 3D programs unlike LDD.

If the big red text in the images he posted didn't tip you off, it's not his model.

I'm glad to see another person with an interest in 3D stuff, but frankly, there's nothing good I can really say here, as the model isn't yours, the textures are poorly set up (did you at least make those, or are they somebody else's work too?), the shading is flat (you could at least add in some specular highlights), some pieces are the wrong color entirely (the hips should be black on Axle, Docs' neckwear should be black, not that weird dark blue, and there's a weird line running down the center of his cap) and even the basic character names are wrong... And the fact that you said "This is Doc in full. I won't be improving him" when there's a lot of stuff that needs improving really sends up a red flag for me. :/

Oh, and "Based off the minifigure..." and "Based the minifigure..."? Might want to double check your grammar next time, it should be "Based off of the..." and/or "Based on the...".

• Like 3

I thank you all for pointing out mistakes on my models and I will list out things that either I did or didn't do.

Jamesster, thank you for pointing out spelling and grammer mistakes, I sometimes write too quickly, The neck thing is black and it was probably something to do with either Bricksmith or LeoCAD so if you want to blame me then go pester the creators of LDraw, MLCad, LeoCAD, and Bricksmith as that colour problem is not my fault, The line through the hat wasn't me and it must've been the model used for it (again, blame the creators of LDraw, MLCad, LeoCAD, and Bricksmith), the model is not mine as shown by Jamesster all I did was change the textures and add in a few things (hat, pickaxe, etc), I didn't create the textures and if you are wondering where I got the textures then go to JimbobJeffers' topic "A taste of what there is to come" because he added a link to Eurobricks which showed the textures he used.

Don't blame me for the bad contrast between Doc's face and torso, Blender 2.64 didn't have a function where I could see the textures without rendering so I kind of failed on that, The second minifigure is definatly called 'Doc' and if you don't belive me then check out "The Ultimate LEGO Book". The shadows are supposed to be 'Flat' because that was how the original model by HJMMediaStudios looked like. Blame him if you hate the shadows Jamesster because it may be quite some work to fix the shadows.

JimbobJeffers, It was hard to position 'Doc' like that because the pickaxe kept slipping out his hand and the hand closed around his hips had to be stretched to fit both ends but this cannot be seen in the last photo.

Brickulator, I am glad to see someone who appreciates someones work even if the 'work' just turns out rubbish. I used Blender 2.64 alpha for the pictures.

I've edited the first post (I still need to fix the pictures) so somethings are corrected in the text.

lol username

The neck thing is black and it was probably something to do with either Bricksmith or LeoCAD so if you want to blame me then go pester the creators of LDraw, MLCad, LeoCAD, and Bricksmith as that colour problem is not my fault, The line through the hat wasn't me and it must've been the model used for it (again, blame the creators of LDraw, MLCad, LeoCAD, and Bricksmith)

I don't work much with Blender, but I have exported plenty of models from LDraw-based programs before, and never run into problems like those. Regardless, it seems like something that could be fixed in whatever Blender has for a material editor.

if you are wondering where I got the textures then go to JimbobJeffers' topic "A taste of what there is to come" because he added a link to Eurobricks which showed the textures he used.

Ah, so they're the ones by LuxorV. Might want to give credit up front next time.

Don't blame me for the bad contrast between Doc's face and torso, Blender 2.64 didn't have a function where I could see the textures without rendering so I kind of failed on that,

Seems rather strange to me that Blender wouldn't be able to do that, but regardless, you should be able to get an exact match by opening LuxorV's textures in an image editor and grabbing the RGB values for the basic colors (yellow and dark gray and such), then using them for the rest of the minifigure.

The second minifigure is definatly called 'Doc' and if you don't belive me then check out "The Ultimate LEGO Book".

He is called "Docs" in absolutely every appearance except for one or two places where his name was misspelled as "Doc" (like in the book you mentioned).

The shadows are supposed to be 'Flat' because that was how the original model by HJMMediaStudios looked like. Blame him if you hate the shadows Jamesster because it may be quite some work to fix the shadows.

Uh, I didn't say shadows, I said shading, and I was recommending that you add specular highlights to make things pop out more. Again, I don't use Blender much so I can't help with the specifics, but try this:

I'll try and get the name fixed up. And a good idea about the body and face contrasts. The video you posted up is not like what I've got at the moment. I've still got to fix Axel's torso because if you look you can notice that the edges are white.

The neck thing is black and it was probably something to do with either Bricksmith or LeoCAD so if you want to blame me then go pester the creators of LDraw, MLCad, LeoCAD, and Bricksmith as that colour problem is not my fault, The line through the hat wasn't me and it must've been the model used for it (again, blame the creators of LDraw, MLCad, LeoCAD, and Bricksmith)

I don't work much with Blender, but I have exported plenty of models from LDraw-based programs before, and never run into problems like those. Regardless, it seems like something that could be fixed in whatever Blender has for a material editor.

Some LDraw bricks stink really badly when imported into 3D, and this could be one of those bricks. It could also just be a mistake in how Ben set up the render, or HJ's model (rio says it is not a good model for various reason I would have to ask). And for a material editor, it's called the Material tab.

Don't blame me for the bad contrast between Doc's face and torso, Blender 2.64 didn't have a function where I could see the textures without rendering so I kind of failed on that,

Seems rather strange to me that Blender wouldn't be able to do that, but regardless, you should be able to get an exact match by opening LuxorV's textures in an image editor and grabbing the RGB values for the basic colors (yellow and dark gray and such), then using them for the rest of the minifigure.

Blender does have that option, but it doesn't always work. You're better off changing the percent slider under the camera resolution (in the Render tab) down, perhaps to 50%, when working and go back to 100% on your final.

Ben, why are you using 2.64? 2.67 is due for release any day now, and even 2.66 is better than 2.64. If you are using Ubuntu or a Linux distro that has Blender in the Software Center, never install it. They do not update it. You're better off downloading the newest release from Blender.org.

Pretty good. The only thing I'd suggest is to add a specular channel to the models to make them shiny, like jamesster already said. A very bright, very glossy setting works best whenever I try it in Milkshape and Lightwave.

Okay Cirevam. I'll try and add mirror to the minifigures (because the original model didn't have mirror on).

Le717, I have just updated to blender 2.66 so when 2.67 comes out I will defiantly be getting that.

Addictgamer

Woah, these have an uncanny resemblance with the Lego Racer minifigures. Er, I mean, when I see these guys I think "Yup, that's Lego Racers material."

I guess Axel/Axle and the crew are back to take the championship in Lego Racers 3.

• Like 1

I better fix the name so I'll start that. This was requested by Cirevam and perhaps a few others but here is the result of a minifigure mirror model and Fred...

...is NOT pleased!

I really don't like the result at all... What now?

I really don't like the result at all... What now?

"Fred" has never featured in any of the Rock Raiders products. I felt lied to.

What you should do is rebuild the chief joyriding the LMS Explorer. I'd be impressed by the sheer effort.

I first used a differant minifigure model to show how rough it would look with mirror. You want me to make Cheif... JOYRIDING the LMS EXPLORER?!? Impossible! I would not only need a Cheif minifigure model (which I can create right away) but I'd also need an exported model of the LMS Explorer (preferably 3D Studio format (3ds)).

And I added a mirror material to Axle (as well as fixing his name)...:

... Perfect. I belive I added too much mirror to my other model so that is why I didn't like the mirror (the other model's mirror property was 0.8000 but this time I put it down as 0.0500).

The effect is nice, but his pose makes him look a little... Camp. I don't think Axle's like that.

Forget the position. The picture is mostly showing how the minifigure models look like with mirror added.

lol username

Eh, I dunno about the reflection stuff, minifigures are shiny but they aren't that shiny - it's drowning out the colors, making him appear more white. I'd keep it in but mess with it some more, tone it down a bit. And again, specular highlights would help.

Eh, I dunno about the reflection stuff, minifigures are shiny but they aren't that shiny - it's drowning out the colors, making him appear more white. I'd keep it in but mess with it some more, tone it down a bit. And again, specular highlights would help.

Jamsster, The reason he is white® is because the mirror on the minifigure is reflecting the area around it (the white background).

lol username

Jamsster, The reason he is white® is because the mirror on the minifigure is reflecting the area around it (the white background).

That's why I'm recommending that you change it.

Well, I did know that but I was saying that there is no way I can change the way the character is lighter. Again it is the cause of the background.

(And sorry about the ® thing. It was meant to show ( r ) but it was changed somehow so ignore that mistake.)

I'm not sure what Blender can go to affect shiny channels, but there might be a setting to affect how glossy or shiny it is which should be separate from the color of the shine. Try that setting if you haven't already. And large flat surfaces like the torso are always going to look washed out from the light bouncing off. If you can get the arms and head to look more natural then the rest will follow.

How about I just don't involve mirror and then I'll feel relived. If you want the mirror then tough because I cannot do that Cirevam and this is definatly the LAST straw and post from  ANYONE WHO HAS COMMENTED ON THIS TOPIC WHICH INVOLVES MY MODEL THEN SHUT UP BECAUSE EVERY ONE IS BOUNDING OFF TRACK AND EVERYONE ALWAYS DOES THAT WHEN I MAKE A TOPIC!!!  >:( 

Please, don't get angry and use oversized text. It really isn't the way to go about things on this forum and will only bring you disrespect from other members.

Nothing in Cirevam's post was insulting, he was trying to help you achieve a model to be proud of. Additionally, you ask that no one comments on your models, and yet it seems the idea of this topic was for people to post models to receive feedback on? When people produce models that others consider to have room for improvement, they will suggest how that person can improve it. This is not to put them above you, to mock you, or just for the sake of abuse, but rather because these people genuinely want to help you get better at what you enjoy doing - and you should learn from them, as they more often than not will only give such advice if they have good experience themselves.

Agreed, it does appear that the topics you have posted have received general feedback that isn't all 'Wahey! Brilliant! Nothing to improve on!', but don't take this negatively. Some people may disagree with me, but I think there is a standard at which work is expected to be on this forum - but this is primarily in terms of effort, not quality (although quality is a major help). If you produce something that has room for improvement, and people make it clear that this is the case - take it on board, and put in the effort to produce something better based on the feedback you have received. Continuing to produce work that could now have extra effort put in to make it better, well it just won't receive the same level of constructive criticism.

Please, don't get angry and use oversized text. It really isn't the way to go about things on this forum and will only bring you disrespect from other members.

Nothing in Cirevam's post was insulting, he was trying to help you achieve a model to be proud of. Additionally, you ask that no one comments on your models, and yet it seems the idea of this topic was for people to post models to receive feedback on? When people produce models that others consider to have room for improvement, they will suggest how that person can improve it. This is not to put them above you, to mock you, or just for the sake of abuse, but rather because these people genuinely want to help you get better at what you enjoy doing - and you should learn from them, as they more often than not will only give such advice if they have good experience themselves.

Agreed, it does appear that the topics you have posted have received general feedback that isn't all 'Wahey! Brilliant! Nothing to improve on!', but don't take this negatively. Some people may disagree with me, but I think there is a standard at which work is expected to be on this forum - but this is primarily in terms of effort, not quality (although quality is a major help). If you produce something that has room for improvement, and people make it clear that this is the case - take it on board, and put in the effort to produce something better based on the feedback you have received. Continuing to produce work that could now have extra effort put in to make it better, well it just won't receive the same level of constructive criticism.

I think he's actually using someone else's model (see the pics at the beginning).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.