Tutorial: Setting Up/Installing a LEGO Racers Mod

Jimbob

RocketRacer123

Thanks a lot for your help. I have downloaded the Microsoft Re distributable package, but unfortunately I am having yet more problems!!!! Please observe the screenshots below:

6ZTLCFd.jpg?1 

rfVscFv.jpg?1

PH8TKeU.jpg?1

Can anyone help?  :S  :S  :S 

You've messed up your JAM Extractor installation. As you can see from the image below, the JAM extractor requires all those files to work (well, except for LEGO.JAM... :whistle:).

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=78510

Do this:

1. Delete the python33.dll and JAM Extractor files from your Desktop.
  2. Download a new copy of the JAM Extractor, extract that entire Zip, and view the contents.
  3. Copy the exe.win32-3.3 folder (not just one file, the whole folder) from the build folder and paste it on your Desktop.
  4. Now try to extract the JAM archive.

JMMB, have you considered using the GitHub Releases feature and putting up individual zip downloads of the JAM Extractor for Windows and Mac on the v1.2 tag? That might help clear up any future confusion and avoid these kinds of incidents.

• Like 2

RocketRacer123

Yes!!! It's worked! Thank you so much. :D :D :D

Unfortunately, there is yet another problem. I can't seem to be able to run Lego Racers from my LEGO RACERS MOD FOLDER. I have tried everything. Please observe the screenshot below: 

I have tried running my Lego Racers game in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (as shown in the screenshot), but the game still doesn't seem to work from my mod folder. Please can you help. 

PO68MZv.jpg?1

JrMasterModelBuilder

Yes!!! It's worked! Thank you so much. :D :D :D

Unfortunately, there is yet another problem. I can't seem to be able to run Lego Racers from my LEGO RACERS MOD FOLDER. I have tried everything. Please observe the screenshot below:

I have tried running my Lego Racers game in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (as shown in the screenshot), but the game still doesn't seem to work from my mod folder. Please can you help.

Can you define "doesn't work"?

JMMB, have you considered using the GitHub Releases feature and putting up individual zip downloads of the JAM Extractor for Windows and Mac on the v1.2 tag? That might help clear up any future confusion and avoid these kinds of incidents.

Done and >done-er.

• Like 2

RocketRacer123

When I try to run LEGO Racers from my LEGO RACERS MOD FOLDER, it then says that the game has stopped working. I really don't understand it. Please can you help me deal with this problem.  :)

I have tried running my Lego Racers game in compatibility mode for Windows 7

*laughs a little*

Most people who run their game on a Win7 have to set the compatibility mode. :P Try running it in compatibility for Windows XP SP2 (or 3), as that's closer to when the game came out.

(Somebody, refresh my memory: what's the lowest compatibilty setting you can get on Win8?)

Also, does it come up with an error message? Like "FATAL DRAIN ERROR" or is the only box you see the useless and oh-so-informative "LegoRacers.exe has stopped working..."

• Like 1

RocketRacer123

Nope, I'm afraid it still doesn't work. I have tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 AND Windows XP SP3, but when I try and run it from my LEGO RACERS MOD FOLDER, it then says that the game has stopped working, which is what it was doing before. Please can you help.  D:  D:

I think that that kind of crash is caused due to the game assets (JAM file or mod folders) being incorrect. Did you put in the recompiled LEGO.JAM file in that modded folder? It looks that way as its creation date is 2014 rather than 1999. If so, try using the LEGO.JAM file from a default installation and see if that works.

Should it work, there's an issue with whatever you modded into the LEGO.JAM file.

EDIT: I noticed the embedded images were broken. Fixed.

• Like 1

RocketRacer123

Please observe the screenshots below:

The good news is I can now get into the game:

nVp8wCA.png?1

The bad news however is when I try to do a race it then comes up with this really annoying error message:

hjckudO.png?1

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get round this silly problem. Please can you help.  :S

I guess that particular file is messed up, then? Try replacing it with one from an unmodded version of the game (so, extract the LEGO.JAM file from your default unmodified installation, locate the adpelvis.tdb file and copy it over the modded one). If that works but you get the same Fatal Error with a different part, it may be a bigger problem.

• Like 1

RocketRacer123

Thanks. Please could you provide screenshots so I know how to locate the adpelvis.tdb file and copy it over the modded one.  ;)

I don't actually have LR2 installed at the moment, due to my old WinXP crashing and me not getting around to finish setting up my new one yet. It shouldn't be difficult though, just open the LEGO_JAM folder and type adpelvis.tdb into the search box at the top-right of the window, then press enter. I'm guessing it might be in the COMMON folder though, as it's Ann Droid's file.

• Like 1

RocketRacer123

No, still doesn't work. I have done exactly what you have said, and it is still coming up with the same silly error message. I think it is turning into a very serious problem now, and I don't really know what to do. Please can you help.

As well as trying mumboking's suggestion (a quick tutorial on that >here), did you try using the default unmodified JAM file?

If I were you, I'd install a new clean installation of LEGO Racers (so, actually put the disc in the drive and set it to install again) somewhere on your desktop or in your documents. Run that and see if it works. If it does, follow mumboking's suggestion above, and check if it works before modding it. If you get that far, then try installing a mod, but don't recompile your JAM archive as you won't need to.

• Like 1

RocketRacer123

As well as trying mumboking's suggestion (a quick tutorial on that >here), did you try using the default unmodified JAM file?

If I were you, I'd install a new clean installation of LEGO Racers (so, actually put the disc in the drive and set it to install again) somewhere on your desktop or in your documents. Run that and see if it works. If it does, follow mumboking's suggestion above, and check if it works before modding it. If you get that far, then try installing a mod, but don't recompile your JAM archive as you won't need to.

It's OK, I've finally managed to get it to work. Thanks a lot for your help!   :)  :)  :)  

RocketRacer123, I did actually have the same problem as you originally, but thankfully, like you did, I managed to get the game to work.  :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.