Using Multi-Core CPUs (?)

ShadowRRFan

ShadowRRFan

So, like many people, I experience intense lag when high-activity areas are in or close to my view (multiple vehicles and buildings). I've looked around the forums a little bit and tried the compatability options for 98 and 2k, as well as running as admin and checking those two color/something options between the OS dropbox and run-as-admin section (pretty much all the options in the Compatability tab of the exe's Properties window. I've also adjusted the TextureUsage value in the lego.cfg file and recompiled the LegoRR1 WAD, then switched the recompiled WAD with the original in the installation directory while saving a copy of the original somewhere else. I remember some people saying disabling the graphics driver (?) could help, but do they mean going into the device manager and disabling it from there? I'm not too sure, but I haven't tried that yet. I just know from what I see in the Task Manager that one of my four CPU cores gets used up completely while the others are sitting fine with normal idle activity. I'm just not sure wether its an issue with the game not utilizing all of the CPU cores (or maybe it shouldnt be using up all of one core?), or its just the graphics card thingy.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor

ATI Radeon HD 5570

I saw that the people who said something about disabling something with the graphics card mention Radeon, ATI (im just listing keywords here), Catalyst Display, and I know I've got all of those. I'll try disabling it and see if that works. I ain't the brightest guy in the world so I'm kinda running blindfolded here.... ha.

Games have to be programmed to utilize multithreadding. Remember when this game was made (1997-8ish). Multicore processors were not everywhere like they are today. Anyways, the game doesn't like Radeon cards very much. Something about disabling Catalyst AI in Catalyst Control Center > 3D App Settings.

i want to say there were still a large number of servers still using single core processors at the time.

All of which are extremely old because single core Xeons/Opterons aren't a thing.

In your task manager, set the CPU Affinity for LEGORR.exe to just one CPU. Pick your favourite, so long as only one is chosen (if you have Hyper-threading, make sure it's either 0, 1, 2 or 3).

ShadowRRFan

Eh... is that so... None of what I change/disable in the 3D settings/options in the Catalyst Control Center seem to work at all, and setting the CPU affinity didn't do anything. I guess I'm better off trying to play it on an older pc, I don't think just switching out the graphics card is going to be only thing needed either. Thanks guys, I kinda have more of an idea now of what's wrong.

Eh... is that so... None of what I change/disable in the 3D settings/options in the Catalyst Control Center seem to work at all, and setting the CPU affinity didn't do anything. I guess I'm better off trying to play it on an older pc, I don't think just switching out the graphics card is going to be only thing needed either. Thanks guys, I kinda have more of an idea now of what's wrong.

Neither do we. Each new member seems to have a new problem, or new variant of a problem we've figured out. When you've trying to get a 14 year old game running on modern hardware, it's not always easy. If you have an older PC, it would probably run it without this problem.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.