General Tutorials on modding Lego Rock Raiders

alan

Based on this post (found here)

On 3/2/2013 at 9:34 PM, JimbobJeffers said:

Can you follow me now?

Come on, there's no need for that  :) To me this suggests the people who are more experienced with Rock Raiders modding haven't made it clear enough? Like Cyrem said in that discussion topic a little while back, it can seem like there are the people who know how to do things and the people who don't, and the do's need to see things from the don't's' (have I arranged the apostrophes correctly?) point of view.

Unless I've interpreted that wrong, in which case I apologise, text-based talk can be difficult to interpret  ;)

I guess that we really need tutorials for non-modding-experienced people that start at the very beginning.

So, because Cyrem seems to be too busy to continue his tutorial topic (btw @Cyrem, this can be either deleted or added to your topic) I decided to write some tutorials that describe everything as particularly as possible (if there are any questions though, just ask again and I'll update the post).

Cyrem already explained what tools you need and how to extract the WAD files (here. But I saw that the recompiling is not clearly explained, so here's the first tutorial:

Recompiling a WAD

So, after you have changed something in the LegoRR0 or LegoRR1 folders (for example: you changed a texture in LegoRR0, but detailed information about that later), you need to recompile the WAD. Otherwise you can start the game and there wouldn't be anything different. That's because the changes are only saved in the folders but the programm reads the data out of the WAD files.

What you need to do:

Open the WAD tool (I recommend this one) and click on File --> Compile New WAD. After that, a window will pop up in which you have to browse to your Rock Raiders' installation directory, for example:

Program FilesLEGO MediaGamesRock Raiders

Then you click on the folder in which you changed something (in the case of changing a texture from LegoRR0 folder, click on the LegoRR0 folder) - so either you click on LegoRR1 or LegoRR0 so that one of those is selected. Press OK then and wait until a message appears that says:

IG4YsAy.jpg.

Then run the game and - when you have done the mod and the recompiling right - test your modification.

How to: DATA method

Many people (me too) use the DATA method because it makes modding easier and faster with Lego Rock Raiders. But the tutorials how to do this method are hidden well in the mess of topics and posts. So here's a tutorial on how to use this one:

At first, make sure that you back up the two WAD files. Just copy them and paste them into any other folder (do not overwrite them with anything or some of your data could be lost!). I recommend to back up them like this:

Create a folder on the desktop and name it to LEGO Rock Raiders Back-Up. Then copy the two WAD files of the Lego Rock Raiders directory and paste them into the recently created folder on the desktop. You can do the same with the folders "LegoRR1" and "LegoRR0", so copy them and paste them into the back-up folder.

After that, open the folder LegoRR0 in a new window:

d5wvzZd.jpg

Then open the folder Data in the top left window (see picture). Now select everything in LegoRR0 and drag it into the Data folder. A message will appear and ask you if you want to merge the folders that already exist in Data. Click on 'Yes'. I'm not sure about how XP deals with the merging so I recommend to do the following if you use XP: When the message with the replacement appears, click on 'Cancel' and open the folder that would replace the folder in Data (for example: open Sounds in LegoRR0). Then drag all th files from LegoRR0/Sounds into Data/Sounds. Now there shouldn't appear any replacement or merging message. Just do the same with all folders that will come with such a message!

Now the folder LegoRR0 should be empty (for XP users: there should only be an empty Sound folder in LegoRR0). Go back and open LegoRR1. Another time select all folders and files in LegoRR1 and drag them into Data. The merging message will appear once more and you press 'Yes' (if you don't use XP). Otherwise click on 'Cancel' and merge the folders manually as you have done with the Sounds folder from LegoRR0. When you come to the folder Levels in LegoRR1 (XP) be careful with the subordinated folders so that you don't replace the folders in Data/Levels/... with LegoRR1/Levels/... . Open the folders in LegoRR1/Levels/... manually and put their files into the according folders in Data/Levels/...

When there are some doubled files in the Levels folder, replace them because they have the same content (but only do that with files, not with folders!).

After you have emptied the folder LegoRR1 (for XP users: all folders in LegoRR1 and the subordinated folders of LegoRR1/Levels/... are emtpy) delete the now empty folders LegoRR0 and LegoRR1. Additionally delete the two WAD files. 

Now - when you followed the tutorial correctly - the game will start and read all of his data out of the folder Data, not from the two WAD files. So run the game. If the game runs fine, you followed the tutorial correctly and you now can modify easier and faster. If not, reuse the backups that are located in your desktop back-up folder (so put them back into Lego Rock Raiders' directory).

Before I go on with those tutorials, I should know whether I am allowed to go on or not. (------> referring to Cyrem)

Before I go on with those tutorials, I should know whether I am allowed to go on or not. (------> referring to Cyrem)

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be, but this will be redundant soon. I'm getting ready to release a test version of LMS that does this already.

... that does this already

So it shows detailed tutorials of all basic modifications?

No, it deals with the wads so the user doesn't have to.

I um... posted a video tutorial on the DATA method in the Modding LRR for Dummies topic only a few days ago.

I didn't see that, now I found it.

... that does this already

So it shows detailed tutorials of all basic modifications?

No, it deals with the wads so the user doesn't have to.

Well, but there are some people around here who also want to modify their LRR without downloading any already-done-mods. And who told you that the following tutorials would only deal with the wads?

• Like 1

As I see you are all against a working community in which everyone - even the non-modders - can modify Lego Rock Raiders. I thought that this website would have these goals to achieve, to modify Lego Rock Raiders, to share the results and to teach as many RR fans as possible what you can still do with such a great game. But when you all reject the detailed tutorials, there's no way to share the knowledge of all the great modifications and the attempts to do something new.

I don't mean this in a criticising way, but I'm not sure I understand. Is this not proof that people want to teach others how to mod LRR?

I was working on a Modding Tutor which combined several tutorials together, but with TheDoctor's LMS Modding Suite I don't know whether or not to finish it (it's nearly complete).

I don't mean this in a criticising way, but I'm not sure I understand.

I'm not meaning you.

this

... is the proof of what we actually want to do. Many of these things are very specific and not generally (that's why the topic: "general tutorials...", that explain the basics of the LEGO.cfg and so on)

First off, you're contradicting yourself a bit. You say we reject the detailed tutorials, but then go on to say that many of the tutorials we already have are very specific. How do we have so many if we reject them?

But when you all reject the detailed tutorials, there's no way to share the knowledge of all the great modifications and the attempts to do something new.

this

... is the proof of what we actually want to do. Many of these things are very specific and not generally (that's why the topic: "general tutorials...", that explain the basics of the LEGO.cfg and so on)

Moving on, I'm not sure why you're criticizing the overall community. If it's because of what Doc's saying, understand that it's in his best interests to get people to use his programs. And I'm not sure where you're getting that we reject tutorials. If you want to write one, just do it. We have a lot of documentation already but it's not enough, in my opinion. I feel that part of that stems from a lack of people willing to mod the game, and I don't know if that's because there's some things that aren't written down. I can tell you that there's a lot of things I could write down -- like stuff regarding Lightwave animation -- but don't because not enough people have the tools or the motivation to mod. However, once Time Raiders is released I'll cover just about everything I did in that mod... which changes just about everything to some degree. The ultimate teach-by-example.

But when you all reject the detailed tutorials

When did I reject any such things? All that was said was that Doc was making a tool to help people do this and Cyrem made a tutorial too, but in video form. 

First off, you're contradicting yourself a bit. You say we reject the detailed tutorials, but then go on to say that many of the tutorials we already have are very specific. How do we have so many if we reject them?

By that I mean that the tutorials that already exist already require some knowledge of modding. And the bridges between those coasts still have to be built.

in his best interests to get people to use his programs

There's nothing wrong about that. But this will actually not make the tutorials

redundant soon

like stuff regarding Lightwave animation

Maybe you can, but I'm actually talking about

General Tutorials

that are about stuff that everyone has, like Lego.cfg, introducing some content of LegoRR0 and ~RR1, ...

Cyrem made a tutorial too, but in video form

As I said:

I didn't see that.

All that was said was that Doc was making a tool

False, he was also saying that those tutorials

...will be redundant soon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.