TheBrickStop

lol username

There are a lot of LEGO-related websites out there, with a lot of different functions. To name a few, Bricklink provides LEGO fans with a way to buy and trade pieces, sets, and instructions, while other websites like Rebrickable can be used for inventory management, telling the user what sets they can create from their collection. There are problems, though; Bricklink is vastly outdated in web design and can be daunting for newcomers, and due to different websites not integrating with each other well, determining what you need to order and who to order it from can be a hassle. Enter TheBrickStop, a website that just might challenge Bricklink's monopoly on LEGO trading - provided it gets off the ground, that is, it's currently on Kickstarter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0VYzfjqps

So what services does TheBrickStop intend to provide? Well... Quite a lot. The site aims to provide services for LEGO builders and sellers, as well as creators of custom pieces and instructions. Here's the list of key features, as seen on both the official website and Kickstarter page:

BUILDERS

• Easy to search database of fan made LEGO® instructions
  • View custom instruction ratings, comments and ask questions to instructions builders
  • Download instructions for free, or buy them from traders.
  • Upload your current parts collection
  • Check which models you could build or how close to completing models you might be
  • Don’t spend hours finding sellers, thebrickstop will automatically tell you who the best price sellers are for the pieces you require
  • Search and find the cheapest sellers for pieces
SELLERS
  • Easily upload your parts and price list, using our simple listings tool
  • Pro sellers / businesses can easily make stores, upload their own sets and highlight sales and other offers.
  • 100% no selling fees, thebrickstop will not charge you to list or sell pieces
CREATORS
  • Thebrickstop.com will offer artists, instruction makers and LEGO® modders the ability to create stores
  • Share your work and status updates
  • List your modded parts, instructions and make MONEY!
  • 100% no selling fees, thebrickstop will not charge you to list or sell pieces

This isn't being thrown together by a bunch of average Joes, either - TheBrickStop team has worked on web projects for Assassins Creed, Hitman, Final Fantasy, and Far Cry.

So, are you interested in this potential website? If so, support it on Kickstarter, there's some pretty sweet rewards for doing so. Or would you rather stay with good 'ol Bricklink?

Sources: TheBrickStop.com

Kickstarter

I think I'll continue to use Bricklink. Bricklink is well established and it is soon to be getting an entire facelift to get rid of it's dated look. I'm not seeing the 'sweet' rewards... they aren't that interesting to me, unless you really want that gun. While this shop as extra seller types, there's nothing to stop BL ever doing this also to compete.

I also don't see the justification of 50k Euro to build this. If they are writing the site from scratch, the only cost is time (unless the the crew wants pay for making the site in the first place...which is a bit sketchy). You'd only need a little for promotion, initial server costs, few thousand for emergency, business registration and an accountant.... of which you may spend around 25k for if you wanted to start with a bang. I'm pretty sure BL started on a pretty penny and some connections. A small selling fee is a more solid, than ads... of which your income will vary a lot week to week.

I'd probably keep using BL simply out of respect for it's founder who has sadly passed away.

Also, millions of outdated LEGO sites? Maybe thousands, not millions.

Still, good luck to them.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I'll certainly second the fact that Bricklink is incredibly outdated and could use some HTML and CSS revision to get rid of it's outdated look but it's only a pain when you first use it. It's also got such a large user and seller base so I truthfully think I'll stay with it unless TBS can get an even larger base. Still, I hope those developers working on TBS have good luck in this venture...

The Ace Railgun

I'd rather stick with Bricklink even though it's a little dated it is still better then brickstop at least from what I've seen of.

@Cyrem really they're supposed to get a facelift? I can't wait to see the new layout.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.