A single question.

Alcom Isst

Out of a curiosity, I'm testing different LEGO Communities on this question, to see the various answers I get. I'm hoping to get plenty of answers and will appreciate replies that are both unique and correct.

Question: The dimensions of a 1x1 brick are in a ratio of 5:5:6. What is one example of the significance of this ratio in building LEGO creations?

Simple: It makes programs such as LSculpt possible. :P

I don't see how that's even directly related to the specific 5:5:6 ratio of a 1x1 brick and how it's significant in building models.

Does it have any relation to the numbers and a person at LEGO, such as a birthday or a locker number? Or is it more related towards how the brick functions?

It means 6 stud long x 1 stud wide x 5 stud high walls are perfect squares. That's all I got...

In terms of size ratios, Cirevam is most likely correct. In terms of actual size, It's probably something like that size was big enough to be easily manipulable but small enough to build complex objects at a reasonable scale.

In terms of size ratios, Cirevam is most likely correct. In terms of actual size, It's probably something like that size was big enough to be easily manipulable but small enough to build complex objects at a reasonable scale.

Thus explains my answer of LSculpt.

Thus explains my answer of LSculpt.

No, it doesn't, as the 5/5/6 ratio/dimensions have nothing to do with the scale of the object, merely its proportions. You could theoretically have LSculpt work with any ratio of brick length/height/width, like 4/7/3 or something, regardless of how big that piece is in the real world.

To put it another way, Alcom simply asked what was significant about the 5/5/6 ratio; the size of the piece with those proportions is irrelevant, and LSculpt could be made to work with any base element proportions (not just 5/5/6), making it irrelevant as well.

My theory is this.

LEGO elements have studs, with a height just shy of 0.2 stud lengths. Several elements have studs on the sides. If LEGO pieces had a ratio of 1:1:1, the pieces with studs on the sides would be awkward to use, because of the studs of the brick underneath. Instead, there is an additional 0.2 stud height off the bottom to clear the 0.2 studs height that the studs create from the bottom brick. If you look at LEGO pieces, none of the bricks with studs on their sides have studs on the bottom 0.2 of the brick.

Also, giving the bricks this extra 0.2 makes it nice to form the bricks into plates that are 1/3 the size of bricks. This size is much more useful than a plate with 1/2 the size of bricks. I have a few Tyco bricks scattered in my collection. Their plates are 1/2 the size of bricks. You can't be awesome and put Tyco plates vertically between studs like you can do with LEGO plates.

It allows LEGO elements to be more flexible. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.