Orbital space Laser

The Ace Railgun

The Ace Railgun

I was thinking of something like a mod that added anĀ button that was an orbital laser or better yet it could be a cavern roof laser (CRL) with a little button that says activate CRL/Orbital Laser and that had like a little green explosion animation after you aimed at a rock monster/Wall also would temp. drain all energy crystals, what do guys think?

The Ace Railgun

I can only imagine how this would work in reality. Would a little robot crawl around on the ceiling?!

I was thinking more along the lines of a swivel type laser mounted on the roof. But that would pretty interesting to.

1. added a button

2. cavern roof laser

3. little green explosion animation

4. temporarily drain all energy crystals

1. Nope.

2. If you make the models and the animations right, in theory, yes.

3. Again, animations. In terms of actually doing anything, I don't know. Cirevam would know more.

4. No. It's also a horrible idea. You can't just drain and un-drain crystals at will. If it just drained all the crystals, it would shut down the buildings (which is a terrible idea if you need your support stations). and without a recharge seam on the level, you've just screwed yourself.

• Like 1

The Ace Railgun

1. added a button2. cavern roof laser3. little green explosion animation4. temporarily drain all energy crystals

1. Nope.2. If you make the models and the animations right, in theory, yes.3. Again, animations. In terms of actually doing anything, I don't know. Cirevam would know more.4. No. It's also a horrible idea. You can't just drain and un-drain crystals at will. If it just drained all the crystals, it would shut down the buildings (which is a terrible idea if you need your support stations). and without a recharge seam on the level, you've just screwed yourself.

Well any recommendations, ideas? I'd like to make this mod a possibility if I can and I am open to ideas. And the temp. Drain would be a bad idea I guess maybe instead do one energy crystal use like the laser crusher. Also if there wasn't a button added in how wold you access the Laser activation? Ideas on that?

1. added a button2. cavern roof laser3. little green explosion animation4. temporarily drain all energy crystals

1. Nope.2. If you make the models and the animations right, in theory, yes.3. Again, animations. In terms of actually doing anything, I don't know. Cirevam would know more.4. No. It's also a horrible idea. You can't just drain and un-drain crystals at will. If it just drained all the crystals, it would shut down the buildings (which is a terrible idea if you need your support stations). and without a recharge seam on the level, you've just screwed yourself.

Well any recommendations, ideas? I'd like to make this mod a possibility if I can and I am open to ideas. And the temp. Drain would be a bad idea I guess maybe instead do one energy crystal use like the laser crusher. Also if there wasn't a button added in how wold you access the Laser activation? Ideas on that?

Lasers always have to be activated manually. You'd need to select it and fire the laser.

The Ace Railgun

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Lasers always have to be activated manually. You'd need to select it and fire the laser.

Yeah I forgot about that (don't use them much...) Hmm that might be a better Idea for the CRL...Also we could just use the laser fire animation already in LRR it would save some time...

The problem with this idea is that it requires a lot of things that we cannot add to the game due to hard coding. We cannot add buttons and program new functionality for them, sadly. Your best bet is to make a vehicle or building with a laser mounted above the roof. You might be able to restrict its motion enough that it could only fire downwards within a few degrees. You most likely would not see the laser when its fired due to draw distance and the explosion is shared with the handheld laser beam's explosion, so unless you're dumping the handheld laser it's going to look ridiculous.

The Ace Railgun

The problem with this idea is that it requires a lot of things that we cannot add to the game due to hard coding. We cannot add buttons and program new functionality for them, sadly. Your best bet is to make a vehicle or building with a laser mounted above the roof. You might be able to restrict its motion enough that it could only fire downwards within a few degrees. You most likely would not see the laser when its fired due to draw distance and the explosion is shared with the handheld laser beam's explosion, so unless you're dumping the handheld laser it's going to look ridiculous.

Well your argument is outdated I just edited it and crossed out the button part... But I think we could activate it the same way a Laser crusher activates though...It could still work...Just...Might require....some thinking...Ā 

Ā 

Edit 1 Also just a thought but the only thing that could be visible is like a shadow or something then from there it would be like an upside down laser...

The Ace Railgun

Also Another thought, if we just got rid of the laser drill model and kept the laser effect we would only have to model a shadow which would be fairly easy...

Ā 

P.S. Sticking with the CRL (Ceiling Roof Laser)

I already have been planning for this quite a while, and I was hoping you would keep this quiet. Anyways, basically the orbital laser plan I've got is a giant vehicle in the sky. I'm using nulls to ensure, unless someone hacks their camera, the null (pointing towards the ground) where the laser actually fires from is hidden. Basically, you click the shadow on the ground (a flat planar piece which will eventually be modified to be the shadow), tell it where to go, double click and fire away.

Ā 

Although, I hadn't factored in the draw distance as a problem, although testing and debugging could fix that, maybe. I was under the assumption that when the player manually uses the lasers, it was a big stream laser, not like the small blasts from the gun, which goes to show how much I know about the game.

The Ace Railgun

I already have been planning for this quite a while, and I was hoping you would keep this quiet. Anyways, basically the orbital laser plan I've got is a giant vehicle in the sky. I'm using nulls to ensure, unless someone hacks their camera, the null (pointing towards the ground) where the laser actually fires from is hidden. Basically, you click the shadow on the ground (a flat planar piece which will eventually be modified to be the shadow), tell it where to go, double click and fire away.

Although, I hadn't factored in the draw distance as a problem, although testing and debugging could fix that, maybe. I was under the assumption that when the player manually uses the lasers, it was a big stream laser, not like the small blasts from the gun, which goes to show how much I know about the game.

Hmm that's a good idea as well (you never answered me back on that so I went ahead sorry :P) need any modelers?

Well, the space laser is non-existent model wise, but looks hidden to the player. I can do the shadow, so nope. Although, I want to work out all the theory stuff here first, particularly about the actual laser.

The Ace Railgun

Well, the space laser is non-existent model wise, but looks hidden to the player. I can do the shadow, so nope. Although, I want to work out all the theory stuff here first, particularly about the actual laser.

You know that was a waste of a post since you answered that in my p.m's...

You know that was a waste of a post since you answered that in my p.m's...

I posted here first, then answered your PM which you sent after my reply here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.