Ert (my game currently in production)

Kenney

At the moment I can't work on LEGO Racers HD because of the game I'm creating myself. I thought it would be a good idea to create a topic where I can get you guys up-to-date with my game and the development of it. If you have any feedback, suggestions, complaints or idea feel free to post them!

-- About the game --

Ert is a game where you take care of a pet pea. Feeding it, playing with it and making sure it's healthy and clean are just some of the tasks. You can even go into town to buy food, furniture (for your home) and accessories for your Ert. Money is earned by playing minigames in the arcade like Ert Ski or Ert Dig (more to come, I aim at 4 minigames when the game is launched and more through updates later on).

aBd0BGE.jpg

The game is about 50% done right now and will be released around March for Android and later for iOS devices. It'll be available for free (in-app purchases, although everything is unlockable without spending money). I'm interested in hearing your feedback and ideas. I know this game is not something everyone would play but it's something that's very close to my own interest and I absolutely love working on it.

-- Technology behind the game --

The game is being made in Adobe Flash CS6, ported to mobile using Adobe AIR. The game will have AIR included (adds about 9mb to the game filesize), so users don't have to install AIR separately. There are a few reasons I'm using this tech; I've been using Flash for about 10 years now, I'm very fluent in it and it allows me to work fast - as I'm 1 man development team this is very important. The second reason is so that I can later on release a version of the game that works in browsers which can be distributed around the web without any porting necessary. Third reason is that Flash and AIR allow me to use vector graphics, which means that it will look super smooth on ANY resolution out there - no need for HD textures ;) !

-- What I'm working on right now --

Currently I'm working on the first two minigames (Ert Ski and Ert Dig). The minigames should be fun and easy to play while still addicting in a way.

7S6vXyz.jpg

In Ert Ski you simply dodge flags, rocks and trees but collect stars - there might be a Yeti that follows you! In Ert Dig you dig holes for treasure, if the treasure isn't located in that spot an arrow will point you in the right direction. Every time you find treasure the game will become a little more difficult and arrows might point in a global direction rather than the actual precise direction the treasure is located. If the time runs out, you lose.

• Like 1

Saw this on facebook, really looking forward to playing it!

Edit: Just now i noticed the Trid poster in the third pic. cross promoting? :P

This looks interesting.

Any chance at all of a Linux release?

Just asking ;)

(By the way, wouldn't this be better under member share?)

I can't say I've ever heard of any other game that allows you to take care of a pet anthropomorphic Pisum sativum seed whilst going on skiing trips and treasure hunting.

The vector graphics certainly do look nice.

The graphics look nice, but I'm getting the old casual game feel here, and it's a mobile game. Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass. Although, good effort so far.

This is looking great, you can count me in for a download :)

It kind of reminds me of the old Tamagotchis, but a much-improved and nicer looking version. And more adult-friendly.

Saw this on facebook, really looking forward to playing it!

Edit: Just now i noticed the Trid poster in the third pic. cross promoting? :P

Hah, you betcha!

This looks interesting.

Just asking ;)

(By the way, wouldn't this be better under member share?)

Linux might be a possibility. Although Adobe recently stopped support for Flash Player and AIR on Linux I still believe that the latest version they still supported is good enough to run Ert.

And yes, I overlooked member share so if a mod could move it there...

I can't say I've ever heard of any other game that allows you to take care of a pet anthropomorphic Pisum sativum seed whilst going on skiing trips and treasure hunting.

The vector graphics certainly do look nice.

That's probably the best way I've ever seen my game described.

The graphics look nice, but I'm getting the old casual game feel here, and it's a mobile game. Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass. Although, good effort so far.

Well, casual games are what possibly drives the whole mobile game market. But no worries, I understand if you don't like the concept!

This is looking great, you can count me in for a download :)

It kind of reminds me of the old Tamagotchis, but a much-improved and nicer looking version. And more adult-friendly.

For some reason I never had a Tamagotchi but some off-brand one which was a dinosaur and way more awesome,.

Will look into it largely because of the SkiFree reference.

Good ol' SkiFree.

For some reason I never had a Tamagotchi but some off-brand one which was a dinosaur and way more awesome,.

Was it a Dino Brick? I had a yellow one. Not sure what happened to it.

I can't find any pictures of one. :(

Moved topic from Gaming Discussion to Member Share.

I was thinking the same thing!

Also a bit of sim pets. Though not really.

This looks interesting.

Just asking ;)

Linux might be a possibility. Although Adobe recently stopped support for Flash Player and AIR on Linux I still believe that the latest version they still supported is good enough to run Ert.

Ok, cool. I'll be looking out for a Linux release if you manage to do it, then :)

casual games are what possibly drives the whole mobile game market

People who play games on mobiles are only looking for several minutes of play time every now and then. I don't like mass 'casual games' either, but I understand why they exist and why people develop them (an easy way to make a few bucks). I'll probably make my own casual game sometime in the future when I need a break, but my priorities are mainly towards developing serious games.

I'll post a little later about the game itself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.