DEMO Kahuka on other tracks

alan

Note: Might only work on XP because DEMO doesn't run on Vista/7 (at least for me)!

I just wondered how Kahuka would drive in the DEMO mode on his own circuit or on Basil's. Furthermore I wondered what Demo-Kahuka would do on Rocket Racer's Run.

So I messed up the track folders in GAMEDATA:

At first here's an overview of which folder belongs to which track name:

C0R0 = Royal Knights Raceway

C0R1 = Imper. Grand Prix
C0R2 = Desert Track
C0R3 = Moon Magma Marathon
C1R0 = Dark forest dash
C1R1 = Tribal Island Track
C1R2 = Amazon Adventure
C1R3 = Ice Race
C2R0 = Nightmare-Athon
C2R1 = Pirate Skull Pass
C2R2 = Temple Trail
C2R3 = Alien Asteroid
C3R0 = Rocket Racer Run

So, because Demo-Kahuka only drives in C0R1, C1R0, C0R3 and C0R2, we have to rename the folders.
We now want to make Demo-Kahuka drive on his own circuit.
So we rename the folders:
C0R1 to C1R1
C1R0 to C0R0
C0R3 to C1R3
C0R2 to C1R2
and
C1R1 to C0R1
C0R0 to C1R0
C1R3 to C0R3
C1R2 to C0R2
Because windows will accuse you to use one folder name multiple times, add any letter behind the renamed folder,
e.g. C0R1 -> C1R1x
Later you just remove the added letters (here: the x). (Hope you could follow what I meant, if not, please ask!)

So, now we have switched the races of Circuit 1 and 2 (and 4 and 5, so the mirrored versions).
But when you now start the game (after recompiling), the races will crash when you try to start them.
So now we have to change the RACEC*R*.RAB files located in the track folders.
For example, when you now go into RACEC1R1 (= the renamed Imp. Grand Prix) you will find a file called
RACEC0R1.RAB
Rename it to RACEC1R1.RAB
and do the same with all other modified track names (so the RAB file names have to match with the folder names they are located in!).

When you're done, [recompile (DATA method doesn't work for me)] and start the game.
To check if you have done everything all right, go to Single Race and try each race. There should be the picture of Imp. Grand Prix but the race is the Tribal Island Track when you start it.
So when you checked it, go to main menu and wait until DEMO-Kahuka starts to race.

What happens when DEMO-Kahuka drives on non-demo tracks?
When the race starts - the time when the camera flies to the player's position - Kahuka will already slide a bit forward. When the 3 appears, he will stop to move and idle until the race itself begins.
Now Demo-Kahuka's race physics is not the typical AI driving physic. He drives the race as if you (as a player) have won or lost a race (when the camera looks to the back). You may already have recognised that this physic often drives as a drunk and so Demo-Kahuka does (especially in Amazon Adventure Alley).
But sometimes - often when Kahuka crosses the finish line after Lap 1 - Demo-Kahuka jumps in the non-demo tracks. When he is done with that jumping he will behave as in the normal demo tracks. So after that 'jump' his racing physics are typically AI again and additionally he will be able to drive the right way again without any trouble.

Of course you can do the same with circuit 3 races and also with RR's Race. Have fun messing Kahuka up :D

If you have some more questions, please ask me ;)

EDIT: Special Thanks to RobExplorien for his video that shows Kahuka's strange behavior on Rocket Racer Run:

Unbelieveable, I was just thinking about doing something like that, but I did not have the slightest clue on getting this to work.

EDIT: Alan, might you know how I can change the maximum amount of laps on single races? I'd like to change that value up, to about 7 laps or so.

Alan, might you know how I can change the maximum amount of laps on single races? I'd like to change that value up, to about 7 laps or so.

Sorry, I have no clue on how that should work. 

But would be great to change that. I'll have a look at it, going through several files with that bin.f.e. and maybe I'll find sth. interesting :D

Yesterday I tried to add more bricks to the car building but each part section is limited to 30 bricks unfortunately. Would be great to change that too :D

I looked through the files but I didn't find anything. :(

no video?!

Why should there always be a video?

That's why I described how to do that on your own, so that you can test it by yourself!

Why do you want videos for that??

On 2/3/2013 at 7:46 PM, alan said:

Alan, might you know how I can change the maximum amount of laps on single races? I'd like to change that value up, to about 7 laps or so.

Sorry, I have no clue on how that should work. 

But would be great to change that. I'll have a look at it, going through several files with that bin.f.e. and maybe I'll find sth. interesting :D

Yesterday I tried to add more bricks to the car building but each part section is limited to 30 bricks unfortunately. Would be great to change that too :D

I looked through the files but I didn't find anything. :(

On 2/3/2013 at 5:08 PM, Almogzxp said:

>no video?!

Why should there always be a video?

That's why I described how to do that on your own, so that you can test it by yourself!

Why do you want videos for that??

I didn't mean that i want a video that will explain me how to do this by myself,

I wan't a video to see what will happen - without trying because i'm lazy.

because i'm lazy

That's actually no reason because waiting for me to post a video takes definitely longer than trying it on its own. Furthermore you learn a bit about the game's structure and it is not as much to do as it looks like.

And at last my gaming cam 'Game Cam' sucks because it can't record LR.

When you replace a race with the other one do you have to replace all of the tracks or just one because this was not working out when I tried it?   Also if the answer is yes, how would you apply this to rocket racers race?

Shall I record the modified demo. Ofcourse I'll give you credit, but it'd be nice for others who don't have the time for modifying (or are lazy :P). That way they would have a picture of what you earlier described as Kahuka's behaviour.

When you replace a race with the other one do you have to replace all of the tracks or just one because this was not working out when I tried it?   Also if the answer is yes, how would you apply this to rocket racers race?

You can just change one, but make sure to switch C0R1, C0R2, C0R3 or C1R0 with the desired track (e.g. switch C0R1 with C3R0 (Rocket Racer Run) will turn Imperial Grand Prix into Rocket Racer Run) to make the demo race on it. So rename the folders as Alan explained, and then you can have the demo run on RRR.

When you replace a race with the other one do you have to replace all of the tracks or just one because this was not working out when I tried it?   Also if the answer is yes, how would you apply this to rocket racers race? Thank/Like Quote MultiQuote

When you followed the tutorial particularly there shouldn't be any problem about the replacements of tracks.

Maybe there's something unclear for you, if yes, which part? Tell me.

Shall I record the modified demo. Ofcourse I'll give you credit, but it'd be nice for others who don't have the time for modifying (or are lazy ). That way they would have a picture of what you earlier described as Kahuka's behaviour.

Thank you, then I don't have to buy Fraps (damn GameCam :P

Okay this is what I am having trouble with.  I followed the tutorial perfectly I thought.  I renamed the folder with the x to the track that I wanted it switched to.  However I did not switch the other folder name.  I also renamed the file that I wanted it switched to.  I will try again, but I guess it is either not working for me, or I just am not renaming something properly. 

When you rename the folder that you want it switched to can you rename exactly to the other folder if you change the other folders name that you are switching it with?

Ok I got it to work.  I switched fright knights path with imperial and it kind of worked and it started up, but then at the beginning Rocket racer jumped to the up to the first powerups and then started off.  After that first lap he jumped again and the game glitched out so what should I make out of this?

On 2/6/2013 at 6:50 AM, MrElephant said:

Ok I got it to work.  I switched fright knights path with imperial and it kind of worked and it started up, but then at the beginning Rocket racer jumped to the up to the first powerups and then started off.  After that first lap he jumped again and the game glitched out so what should I make out of this?

The following is just a theory, not proven:

You may have seen that the demo sort of has two different AI's. In the first lap, the AI (to call it AI1) is different from all other opponents, but then (after the glitch) the AI (to call it AI2) changes to a normal behaviour. I guess that these two different AI's are not lined up from the beginning, as Kahuka starts (way) over the finish line. The game thinks that this glitched position of Kahuka is in fact the startposition. AI2 won't be attributed to Kahuka until he crosses the finish line in-race, therefore it will use a different AI in the 'first lap'. Then at the moment Kahuka crosses the finish line (after that 'first lap'), AI2 will be attributed to Kahuka. Changing from AI1 to AI2 makes the game think that a new race starts, therefore putting Kahuka back at the startposition, and because of the glitched startposition, Kahuka glitches forwards.

My conclusion is that there wouldn't be any glitches in startposition, if the AI stays the same.

I hope you understand what I'm talking about. :)

Yes I sort of understand that...   So that means that in these races Kahuka can never win first?

Yes he can end up in first place, although I've also witnessed Kahuka having to race 4 laps, instead of 3 (with the same modification), and then he lost eventually.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

This is very similar behavior to the recent HxD mod I made a tutorial for: if you hexedit the EXE to change the amount of time a race lasts after finishing the final lap and the player car starts being controlled by an AI, it'll do this strange drunk driving thing, exactly the same, typically on RRR and IPP. Sometimes Alien Rally Asteroid and Amazon Adventure Alley too. After a certain amount of times crossing the finish line, though, it'll change over to normal AI behavior just fine, same as in the video. Straaaaange stuff man

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.