Review: #8119 Thunder Racer

RobExplorien

LEGO Racers #8119 Thunder Racer
Review by RobExplorien

Note: This review may show quite some similarities to another review I recently did (#8120 Rally Sprinter), as both sets are somewhat the same. Nevertheless, here is the review on another set from the beloved Racers theme.

Since its release in 2001 (with the Xalax-racers), the Racers theme is still perpetuated as of 2013. From pull-back motors to just simply pushing the vehicle forward, the Racers theme maintains its popularity and has an ongoing list of sets. To highlight one in this review, it's the Thunder Racer from the Tiny Turbos subtheme. A set from early 2009, and at a retail price of $5,00 (for my country €5,00), not very expensive for a fast-looking racecar. As of most of these subthemes, the Thunder Racer is part of a wave of four vehicles.

YEalQQr.jpg?1

The box of this set is a recognizable box for the Racers theme, as many other sets have been released with this box design (the top being black or red, depends on the wave). As I will say this many times, the age limits are, well, not correct according to my standards. I rather emphasize on 'ages 6 and up', for many teens and adults may still like to build and/or play with this set. The set features an 1:55 scale model of a black-and-green racecar, suitable for circuits like the California Speedway (as pictured on the box).

As for many Racers sets, you can combine them with eachother very well. For example, this set can be combined with #8125 (Thunder Raceway), to recreate a whole race. Below you can see that this is pictured on the back of the box as well. The cars in the #8125 set generally share the same design as the Thunder Racer.

Wi9l6Lp.jpg?1

As for the contents of the box, here's a list of it:

• 47 pieces
  • sticker sheet with 14 stickers
  • instructions

mH88MbQ.jpg?1

Then there's something that dominates the Racers models, stickers. Stickers always add something nice to the set, and may sometimes even look better than printed-on bricks. You have a sticker sheet containing 14 stickers for such a small set, but that doesn't mean it's bad. On the contrary, the stickers really add nice detailing to the vehicle. Those stickers add that green flow to the Thunder Racer, which I personally like very well. Below you can see all the stickers (on the bricks). They're all covering a single brick, something I rather see than stickers covering 2 or more bricks.

Al2Kqtz.jpg?1 

The instructions show you how to build the Thunder Racer in 13 steps. (Note: The top of the instructions sheet isn't shady, the background of the sheet is just getting darker.) For beginning LEGO builders, an easy task, because it's explained well how to build the vehicle and it's not hard to build it either. Putting on the stickers is a focusing job, so that might be the only obstacle you encounter when putting the bricks all together. You can also build a bigger vehicle, combining the Thunder Racer with the #8122 (Desert Viper) set. The instructions show you the first 6 steps for building this 'racing truck'.

Kjlcpjn.jpg?2

3S5Gd2N.jpg?2

The chassis for this vehicle shows similarities to the Rally Sprinter, like it shows similarities to many other sets of the Tiny Turbos subtheme.

nI7g9Zi.jpg?1

And then after a five-minute job, you get this fast-looking 9cm measuring (3.5inch) racecar number 17, ready to outrace all the others. It has a dark windscreen, wide tires, a big spoiler and nice printings on the sides, front and back.

ZxGDu8R.jpg?2

sJxkOpR.jpg?2

Note that the roadplates and trees are not included in this set, although it is a nice addition to the set. As for all the Tiny Turbos sets, the box can be used as a storage for your Thunder Racer, thus making it convenient for transport, without having it to be taken apart.

lF2Rl6Z.jpg?2

Having this set examined and tested, I come to the following conclusion:

• The box is fitted into the Racers theme, and can be used for storing your Thunder Racer.
  • The instructions show you well how to build the Thunder Racer, making it easy to build, so recommended for beginners.
  • The stickers are fitting nicely on this vehicle, I personally like the green flow added to the black racecar.
  • The final product is the Thunder Racer itself. With the fast-looking design and extra-wide tires, the vehicle has it all for a good run on the Speedway.

As for the fun of this set, it is not that special. However LEGO offers us enough expansions to this racecar set, adding to the fun of building and playing.

Rating

Design: 9
Quality: 8
Fun: 6
Price: 8

• 4 weeks later...

While the stickers do look better than printed on usually, they are a real pain to put on. After time they also fade or get damaged which isn't very good for the life of the product.

A cool little car. Nice review.

• 4 months later...
twoeasythree

Great review! I do have this one, and I like the stock car racing look they've given it. Customising this car's spoiler is a thing I like to do, it's one heavily customisable spoiler. This is sadly the last tiny turbo set owned, and we won't we seeing them around for a while.

(A bit off topic- I've sent a question asking if tiny turbos are coming back to my local Lego facebook page, and they replied this - 

It has been discontinued for more than 2 years ago. We have no news at this point of time if there will be new releases.

Hope this information helps. Have a good weekend.

Regards,
Lego Singapore

Aww, bummer. The Racers series might live on, but the tiny turbos won't.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.