The Reversed Tracks (Not Mirrored) Group Project

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

As the title says. Since this would take A LOT of work for one person to reverse starting points, checkpoints, and AI routes for all tracks. So what I'm suggesting is that some people work in a group. Who's up for it!?

People currently working on this:

• Everyone is inactive. :|

People who were, but aren't currently working on it:

• Creator
  • RobExplorien
  • JimbobJeffers
  • alan
  • Me

Track votes:
Pirate Skull Pass: 1
Imperial Grand Prix: 1

Jobs taken:
None claimed.

Fluffy Cupcake

Yay! Well that's one, now to wait to see if anyone else wants to... in the mean time, which track would you vote to do first? And what would you like to work on (aka like route, checkpoint, starting pos, etc)?

I must be missing something here...because aren't almost all the tracks reversed anyway? :/

They are mirrored, not reversed. You are still driving in the same direction in the mirrored tracks.

I'd love to help, but aside from Starting Positions, I haven't modded any of the above yet.

Personally, I would vote for Pirate Skull Pass, I like that one.

EDIT: I'm seeing a potential problem with the AI paths. Since AI cars lack physics, all there jumps and bounces are part of their path files. Simply reversing those would probably cause them to levitate at reversed slopes.

That would be great! Then we'll have just like Re-Volt, Normal, Reversed and Mirrored Tracks (and even a combination of Reversed and Mirrored!)

But we'll only have 2 of them so...

We'll be replacing the normal tracks or the mirrored ones?

We'll be replacing the normal tracks or the mirrored ones?

I'd cast my vote for the mirrored versions, simply because of the additional speed boost most AI racers get in those.

Yay! Well that's one, now to wait to see if anyone else wants to... in the mean time, which track would you vote to do first? And what would you like to work on (aka like route, checkpoint, starting pos, etc)?

I'm easy, I don't mind which track I get nor what I work on. Just so long as I'm pointed to the right files :)

I'd cast my vote for the mirrored versions, simply because of the additional speed boost most AI racers get in those.

Hasn't origamiguy's research shown there to be no speed boost for the AI on mirrored tracks?

[1/14/2013 9:19:09 PM] Will Kirkby: the AI isn't faster at all on the mirrored tracks

[1/14/2013 9:22:24 PM] Will Kirkby: the bosses are given the "fast" AI path

[1/14/2013 9:22:44 PM] Will Kirkby: but it's the same path for normal and mirrored

[1/14/2013 9:22:57 PM] Will Kirkby: far as I can tell [ and I might be wrong ], there's no difference

Alrighty then.

Fluffy Cupcake

Added more info to first post, like who is part of this project, and votes for tracks. I vote Imperial Grand Prix myself, because it is the first track. :P

Jobs taken on specific tracks will be posted once people actually start claiming them.

EDIT: I'm seeing a potential problem with the AI paths. Since AI cars lack physics, all there jumps and bounces are part of their path files. Simply reversing those would probably cause them to levitate at reversed slopes.

Hmm... well I guess it will just be a funny thing to see, unless someone can figure out the point at which they do that and change it.

Fluffy Cupcake

With origamiguy's LR1BinaryEditor. The .RBR files, at the bottom below the part that says "k_27    // Nodes" to be exact.... Actually, seeing the amount to change being around 500-1000 for once racer (and 1 one those being equivalent to 10 lines), this will take a very, long time to do.... where is a programmer when you need one. :P

Really like to help out, but I really wouldn't have a clue how I would have to do this. I'll try to catch up with modding at this level. And I know this is unrelevant for now, but how are you going to get around the UFO in Alien Rally Asteroid, it would give you a speed boost instead of a pull-back in reversed mode.

Perhaps I could reverse the starting points? If I could be given/pm'd a quick brief on how to do it, I'll do my best to get IGP and possibly others done. But I would like to work on my overhaul too, so others may get more done.

Fluffy Cupcake

Really like to help out, but I really wouldn't have a clue how I would have to do this. I'll try to catch up with modding at this level. And I know this is unrelevant for now, but how are you going to get around the UFO in Alien Rally Asteroid, it would give you a speed boost instead of a pull-back in reversed mode.

First things first, get this if you haven't got it already. Second off... open saaaaay, STARTPOS.SPB located in any track's folder (located in the GAMEDATA folder from extracted .jam). The first thing you will see is

k_27
[6]

This means that six entries will be below (one for each racer), and below you will see

k_27
    {
        k_28
        (float)444.0795
        (float)-216.192
        (float)-76.41137
        k_29
        (float)-0.882948
        (float)-0.469471
        (float)0
        (float)0
        (float)0
        (float)1
    }

and more below, each with a different # after k_27 for a racer number. The first 3 floats after k_28 are the xyz positions, and the floats after k_29 are I think angles... haven't fully tested much with this, I'm rather confused on how those angles work atm (like putting the first two to 360, yes, not 180, will somewhat flip you the opposite direction... but not entirely, I will look more into it later. Oh, and so you know, player 0 is you. So I recommend experimenting with that position first. ;)

Hope this helps you get started! (So you know, I found out this info by experimenting myself. :P)

• Like 1

I tried messing with the starting positions, but in-game it always crashes and tells me something along the lines of "expected float". I have no idea what that means, but I'm using the latest version of origamiguys binary editor.

Fluffy Cupcake

Try seeing if you messed up/removed/changed something important... that usually comes up when there isn't enough floats. You only touched the #s after (float) right? Nothing more? If all else fails you can send it to me and I'll take a look at it to see what/if something is wrong (and specify track it is for).

I'll have a look this evening if I get the chance,and try do imperial grand prix. Unless you want to do starting positions Rob, in which case I'll find something else.

I'll have a look this evening if I get the chance,and try do imperial grand prix. Unless you want to do starting positions Rob, in which case I'll find something else.

Oh no, you go ahead. You obviously know more about it than I do. Besides, I don't have the time this week to start on modding.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.