Brickless Tracks

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

Well, I was going to do it earlier, but on mentioning of an upcoming add/remove feature, I decided to wait. As soon as I saw it out, I just pounced right to it. :P

Also, this just proved that the shortcut on Imperial Grand Prix opens itself on the second lap.

Thanks for that find. I knew something was amiss.

Fluffy Cupcake

Also, this just proved that the shortcut on Imperial Grand Prix opens itself on the second lap.

Thanks for that find. I knew something was amiss.

I suddenly feel like just parking my car there, waiting to see if it opens or if it triggered when the player passes a part of the course. Well, from my findings, I parked there and nothing happened. I then tried driving around to see if there was any trigger points, though there didn't seem to be, also the shortcut wasn't opening itself even after restarting and doing an entire race >_>. What triggers it to happen I have no idea.

I've never seen the IGP shortcut open itself. Ever. In all my time playing. It's always stayed shut throughout the entire race unless I shoot it. And that's on both versions of the game, BTW.

I've never seen the IGP shortcut open itself. Ever. In all my time playing. It's always stayed shut throughout the entire race unless I shoot it. And that's on both versions of the game, BTW.

I never noticed it either until a couple of days ago when I made the mod. But it seems to happen relatively often now. I don't know how it could possibly be linked to the modded PWB. That doesn't make any sense. At least, I don't think it does.

And whatever it is, why does it only happen on Imperial Grand Prix?

EDIT: I just played Alien Rally Asteroid and the same thing happened on there: the shortcut opened without me shooting it! It seems to not happen nearly as often on this track, though.... I mean, considering this is the first time I've seen it.

Fluffy Cupcake
EDIT: I just played Alien Rally Asteroid and the same thing happened on there: the shortcut opened without me shooting it! It seems to not happen nearly as often on this track, though.... I mean, considering this is the first time I've seen it.
I was wondering if it did it on that track as well. I did a test race on it earlier, though it didn't happen.

I'll install the modded PWB files and see if the shortcuts start opening themselves. If so, I think it's safe to say the modded files are glitching the game somehow.

Fluffy Cupcake

I'll install the modded PWB files and see if the shortcuts start opening themselves. If so, I think it's safe to say the modded files are glitching the game somehow.

After doing a few races on IGP with vanilla racers right now, I just got it to happen. I had another thought while waiting for it to occur, I was thinking it may have chance of happening if you are trailing for a bit, though I don't have much/any proof of that atm, besides the fact that it happened right now when I wasn't leading at any time during the race, and it was opened on the third lap, not second, so idk why it did open on second if that is true.

I have seen shortcuts opened by the AI before - a stray cannonball, or more often, the lightning wand power-up hitting them as the AI car passes. It's especially common on Alien Rally Asteroid, there's been several times when Basil has inadvertently zapped the shortcut wall and opened it with me right behind him. But as for shortcuts opening themselves, without being triggered by anybody, I have yet to see that.

I've just done some testing on this myself, doing a few single races over and over, and here's what I've found:

Most of the time, if you finish a lap behind Captain Redbeard (not just behind the leader, you must be behind Redbeard no matter what place he is in) then the shortcut will open itself the following lap. I've tried this on both lap 2 and 3. Finishing lap 1 first, then waiting for Redbeard to pass me on lap 2, and the shortcut will blow open on lap 3. This did not happen as described in 2 or 3 attempts, but the majority of races, this is exaclty what happened. I've even stayed behind at the shortcut to make sure that no AI racers opened it on lap 1, finished the lap behind Redbeard, then sped ahead to make sure that I'm the first racer to the shortcut, and it'll still be open, with no time for a racer to have opened it while I wasn't looking.

Since this seems to open at the start of a new lap, I don't think you can just wait around infront of it and watch to see if it explodes on it's own, and I have tried sitting infront of it for a few laps, just to be sure. From what I gather, it seems to open up on it's own as a pity shortcut once you've fallen behind.

EDIT: Yeah, nevermind, it's the cannon.

• Like 2

I've been trying to get the IGP and MMM shortcuts to open themselves this afternoon, to no avail. I did a VS race by myself (note to self: check controls before starting again), Single race, even a circuit (IGP only), and it never worked.

, I don't think you can just wait around infront of it and watch to see if it explodes on it's own, and I have tried sitting infront of it for a few laps, just to be sure.

I did that, but on the VS race above instead of a normal one. :P

From what I gather, it seems to open up on it's own as a pity shortcut once you've fallen behind.

I was thinking that or a lap counter trigger. Now we know it seems to be the former.

Now that I think about it, I do kinda remember some of the shortcuts opening themselves when I first got Racers (2001 version), but I never really paid any attention to it...

Fluffy Cupcake

Thanks for this mod! :D

You're welcome!

@Oboe: Yay, you confirmed my theory of it opening because you aren't leading!

I know that I am a little critical but wouldnt this be too hard racing against bosses with fast speed. I mean after they pass you there is almost no way to pass them on some levels like rocket racer run.

Since this seems to open at the start of a new lap, I don't think you can just wait around infront of it and watch to see if it explodes on it's own, and I have tried sitting infront of it for a few laps, just to be sure. From what I gather, it seems to open up on it's own as a pity shortcut once you've fallen behind.

Actually, I figured that oen out as a child. The short cut opens, if you cause the cannon in the adjacent canyon to fire by honking while driving past it. Don't ask me why they programmed it like this, but yeah, Redbeard or your position have nothing to do with it, as far as I know.

• Like 1

I know that I am a little critical but wouldnt this be too hard racing against bosses with fast speed. I mean after they pass you there is almost no way to pass them on some levels like rocket racer run.

Guess we'll have to try it and see!

Actually, I figured that oen out as a child. The short cut opens, if you cause the cannon in the adjacent canyon to fire by honking while driving past it. Don't ask me why they programmed it like this, but yeah, Redbeard or your position have nothing to do with it, as far as I know.

:gasp: I have experienced this before, but never realised it was to do with the cannon... Time to test this for myself.

That makes sense, I suppose. And I think I was racing with other powerups on Alien Rally Asteroid, so that's explained too. Can anyone confirm this cannonball theory while I'm doing homework?

Fluffy Cupcake

Yup, just tried it. I was first the whole time, honked by that cannon to make it shoot, and the shortcut was open. So then, I wonder what the cause is on ARA, well, where you have to honk at least if it is the same case.

Yeah, I just went back and tried this myself. Shooting the cannon directly opens it for sure.

I have no idea if any of my other findings on this are still valid, as I'm pretty sure I randomly hanked and shot the cannon every now and then. I'll look into it, but for now I'm just going to go with the cannon.

Yup, just tried it. I was first the whole time, honked by that cannon to make it shoot, and the shortcut was open

I'm wondering whether or not the Cannon-Honk/Shortcut-Opening thing was programmed in there on purpose, or if it's just some bizarre glitch. I mean, they didn't even have time removing the remains of their deleted shortcuts or fix the AI voices issue, but they had time to add this completely nonsensical connection between a row of barrels and a cannon that's being fired because someone honked at it? Sounds somewhat questionable... It's either a glitch, or High Voltage Software had really strange priorities...

Fluffy Cupcake

Heheh, I was racing by myself, driving in reverse, I activated it as late as possible, and kept on driving, when I heard the cannonball hit the ground, just ahead of me I was just barely able to see the barrels being exploded.

• 2 weeks later...

Just try in Versus Mode to watch it open when the cannon hits the ground. One player stays in front of the shortcut barrel and the other one honks to the cannon!

And another thing I want to say is that you don't have to download anything to remove the bricks! Just do it on your own and edit the Poweup.pwb and delete all the stuff it contains! Then save, (recompile) and start the game!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.