My Biggest Problem with Lego Racers

LimeKiller

I assume a lot of people don't like this either, and a few people can probably guess what I am about to say...

Reused tracks.

That phrase makes me shudder. This has always been my biggest problem with Lego Racers. Obviously the warp issue is pretty glaring as well (Fixed, thank God!) but ever since I was little I always wanted more tracks. And really, it's just lazy to flip your tracks and stick them in again. Even with the mirrors, there isn't a huge number of tracks anyway, but it doesn't help that most of them are reused. Now that we've rid the game of the oppressive dictator known as the green brick, I'm finding the game quite enjoyable. But me enjoying the game more makes this issue more annoying. It seems that in the direction we are going with modding, this will eventually be fixable, but for now, what are your thoughts?

• Like 2

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Definitely, it's always been an issue for me. I would have been more satisfied if they just came up with four more tracks, or made Rocket Racer a four-course circuit instead of one, and taken out the mirrored courses altogether. Most kart racers at the time at least had 16 (Mario Kart 64, for example), so would it really have killed them to have three more? It was pretty much just a lazy excuse to double the amount of tracks the game had.

From a gameplay standpoint, I agree that there should have been more tracks. But looking at the LEGO aspect, I'm really not sure how that could have happened. It's certainly not a problem for the Castle and Space themes, but they were already stretching Adventurers (Desert, jungle... Oh dear, nothing else, gotta merge the two for Adventure Temple Trail!), and Pirates was at its limit (Imperials, islanders, pirates... What else? That's it). I'm really not sure what they would have themed an additional set of tracks on for the two non-core themes... Sure, expand the final circuit, but again, what do you really base that off of when the theme is just generic racers?

• Like 2

It would not have been such an issue if they had taken the time to create seperate power up layouts and AI pathways for the mirrored version, instead of just giving their AI drivers a neglectable speed boost.

Now that we've rid the game of the oppressive dictator known as the green brick, I'm finding the game quite enjoyable.

I don't mind green bricks in general, I just refuse to activate Warp. Or take shortcuts, for that matter.

See, I wouldn't mind if they reused themes. After they came up with the first three circuits, they could just take the same themes and make a different track from them. Two desert-jungle tracks, two imperial-port tracks, and certainly two space tracks. Yes, in a way, that's what they did, but that's stretching it more than making a Space Castle track.

• Like 1

JrMasterModelBuilder

From a gameplay standpoint, I agree that there should have been more tracks. But looking at the LEGO aspect, I'm really not sure how that could have happened. It's certainly not a problem for the Castle and Space themes, but they were already stretching Adventurers (Desert, jungle... Oh dear, nothing else, gotta merge the two for Adventure Temple Trail!), and Pirates was at its limit (Imperials, islanders, pirates... What else? That's it). I'm really not sure what they would have themed an additional set of tracks on for the two non-core themes... Sure, expand the final circuit, but again, what do you really base that off of when the theme is just generic racers?

4 tracks per theme would have been nice.

I don't mind green bricks in general, I just refuse to activate Warp. Or take shortcuts, for that matter.

I don't really mind them that much either, I was just being funny. In Modnation Racers there are boost power ups, including a high-level warp boost. And you can use it when you're in first, but it will hardly take you anywhere. But if you're a minute behind the second-to-last racer, a warp will bring you right up with the pack. Something like that would have worked a lot better. Even just making either green or white bricks very sparse would have helped.

Even just making either green or white bricks very sparse would have helped.

Or at least make sure that AI racers collect them more often. That reminds me, wanted to start an AI opponents thread in the discussion section anyway...

• 3 months later...
Leumeister

I can name a rather famous theme that came out in 1999... Have you guessed? ROCK RAIDERS! Rock Raiders tracks would've been very good LEGO Racers maps, unless LEGO Racers was released before it. They also could've had some Town theme tracks. Everyone likes a little street racing, right? But why be 1999 exclusive? They also could've had Wild West tracks. They also could've had some wacky Time Cruisers tracks. They could've had Space Police tracks too. Hopefully the PWB editor will soon be updated to let us make these tracks ourselves.

Olivus Prime

It's certainly not a problem for the Castle and Space themes, but they were already stretching Adventurers (Desert, jungle... Oh dear, nothing else, gotta merge the two for Adventure Temple Trail!), and Pirates was at its limit (Imperials, islanders, pirates... What else? That's it).

I always thought Aquazone and Wild West would have been good extensions of the Adventurers line of tracks. I suppose that's because I've always classed themes outside of Castle/Pirate/Space as "Adventures" (even if some are large themes in their own right, like Adventurers and Aquazone). I've even been thinking about retexturing Adventure Temple Trail into an Aquazone track, but there are so many specific details in the track (the Sun Disk, the Ark, the mine carts) that it would probably be easier to redo Amazon Adventure Alley...

In addition, back when I thought about a third LEGO Racers game, I imagined them having 20 new tracks and 20 classic ones (equal to Mario Kart DS) - all 13 LEGO Racers tracks, routes around the five LEGO Racers 2 tracks, and the two Rocket Racers tracks.

I can name a rather famous theme that came out in 1999... Have you guessed? ROCK RAIDERS! Rock Raiders tracks would've been very good LEGO Racers maps, unless LEGO Racers was released before it.

They both came out in the summer. Plus, Rock Raiders wasn't fully established as a theme of its own because it was being halfway developed by DDI so that the sets matched the game.

They also could've had some Town theme tracks. Everyone likes a little street racing, right?

A LEGO Island racetrack lol...

but then the music

But why be 1999 exclusive?

They weren't. Dark Forest wasn't 1999. Neither were Ice Planet, Exploriens, and Fright Knights. The whole Pirates theme was over at that point, and Space had taken a drop due to the release of Star Wars.

I would love an Aquazone track(s?). It would only make sense if you were in a glass tunnel or a base, unfortunately.

Alpha Team might make a good track, as would Wild West.

Wait, Space was dropped because of Star Wars?

LEGO Island track...haha.

Olivus Prime

Space had taken a drop due to the release of Star Wars.

See, I always saw Rock Raiders as the 99 Space theme, Ninja as the 99 Castle theme and Space Port as the 2000 Space theme. I know that's not how it officially is, but it always made sense to me like that. That way, Space lived on until 2002, when Life on Mars left, and Castle didn't have an unnecessary awkward gap in its history.

Why they had Arctic instead of Knights Kingdom in LR2 always dumbfounded me.

Anyway, back on topic... I never saw a problem with the mirrored tracks when I was younger, though I kind of wish they had made more now. I wouldn't say that it was too lazy for them to mirror the tracks, considering their budget/time was low and the tracks they did make are fairly well-designed, imaginative and action-packed (in the right places) anyway.

Space had taken a drop due to the release of Star Wars.

See, I always saw Rock Raiders as the 99 Space theme, Ninja as the 99 Castle theme and Space Port as the 2000 Space theme. I know that's not how it officially is, but it always made sense to me like that. That way, Space lived on until 2002, when Life on Mars left, and Castle didn't have an unnecessary awkward gap in its history.

Why they had Arctic instead of Knights Kingdom in LR2 always dumbfounded me.

Anyway, back on topic... I never saw a problem with the mirrored tracks when I was younger, though I kind of wish they had made more now. I wouldn't say that it was too lazy for them to mirror the tracks, considering their budget/time was low and the tracks they did make are fairly well-designed, imaginative and action-packed (in the right places) anyway.

Yeah, it makes sense. Life on Mars is actually a continuation of Space Port (I know this from an early readers book I have).

Olivus Prime

Space Port as the 2000 Space theme.

Except Space Port was in 1999.

Wow, so it was. Thanks for the correction.

• 2 months later...
EthanosKingOfMonkeys

My biggest problem is rocket racers frustrating track seriously if you use a warp and you have bad luck youll be 6th place in seconds >:( anyway thank you for publishing this topic :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember finally beating Basil the Batlord and going to Johnny Thunder, thinking 'This is going to be soooo hard, if it's harder than Basil as it's later on.'

But no. Thunder is the easiest racer to beat (in my opinion). I would have preferred it if they had left the reversed tracks out completely and made the first really really hard.

It's a waste of space, and you can't even mood them to be different tracks. (I think...)

It's stupid that you can't build Robin Hood.

Also, they needed to add more racers!

Online play would be good, but hacking levels will be so high, the online play would be removed.

James Gryphon

He probably means Rob-N-Hood's car -- which can't be built, at least not in the stock game, due to a lack of green bricks.

The no green brick in the builder thing must've been an oversight by the developers -- green's one of the most common colors in all the generic LEGO sets I ever had, and green bricks feature prominently in every other aspect of the game. I'm honestly not sure how they missed it, but at least there's a mod that can compensate for its absence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.