Tutorial: Changing car sound

Noob Slayer

There should be one, for example when they lift from the ground (after a jump) the engine sound goes much higher.

• Like 1

Jack Bluebeard

But this also happens to the car of the player if you continue accelerating during a jump.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I just singned in on the forum :af: . I'm reading all your posts for 1hour now already, and i'm adjusting everything like you said.

I just have one little problem. When i want to change the modifications, i mean saving the file, it says that it's impossible to change it. i've got a message who said 'acces denied'.

Am i doing something wrong? Or do I need to change the name of the file into something else? Maybe it's because i've downloaded the game online? I can't figure it out :wimp:

Thanks anyway !

Ps : You're all doing a great job, I always wanted to drive like the demo car and i'm so close to it! :love:

ps2: Sorry for my English ^^.

Brickulator

I just have one little problem. When i want to change the modifications, i mean saving the file, it says that it's impossible to change it. i've got a message who said 'acces denied'.

It's probably because you're trying to save it in Program Files. Try copying the LEGO folder somewhere else and do you modifications there. Then eithen copy the LEGO folder back to your LEGO Racers folder, or rebuild the JAM file if your version of the game needs it to run, and copy that across.

I bet you use Windows Vista?

Windows Vista has always trouble with accepting changes in the program files. You can deactivate it somewhere but I only know the names in German, not in English.

Ps : You're all doing a great job, I always wanted to drive like the demo car and i'm so close to it!

Well, it is not possible for a player to act (drive) like the DEMO car or any other NPC because they are programmed to (a) specific path(s). That's why they seem to stutter a bit in the turns.

It's probably because you're trying to save it in Program Files. Try copying the LEGO folder somewhere else and do you modifications there. Then eithen copy the LEGO folder back to your LEGO Racers folder, or rebuild the JAM file if your version of the game needs it to run, and copy that across.

Indeed, it's saved in the program files. I'm going to try to copy it somewhere else.

And if it work, i update it here :)

I bet you use Windows Vista?

Windows Vista has always trouble with accepting changes in the program files. You can deactivate it somewhere but I only know the names in German, not in English.

Ps : You're all doing a great job, I always wanted to drive like the demo car and i'm so close to it!

Well, it is not possible for a player to act (drive) like the DEMO car or any other NPC because they are programmed to (a) specific path(s). That's why they seem to stutter a bit in the turns.

Ow I see, but it's always fun to be a little like them. Anyway, just a few modifications can make me happy hehe :).

Thanks anyway ;)

This time, i coul save the file so everything went fine.

But now, trying to launch the game, it says that there is an error reading the JAM file.

Kind of perturbating :wimp:

I've never had an error about being unable to read the JAM file, only that legoracers.exe has crashed. Could you go through the exact steps you took?

I've never had an error about being unable to read the JAM file, only that legoracers.exe has crashed. Could you go through the exact steps you took?

Like said in the beginning of this topic, i just changed some .pcm one by one for being like the AI car.

After changing everything, I saved and launched the game.

So maybe i'm doing everything wrong, or maybe i changed the bad things? Or maybe i didn't have to change the .pcm in the JAM?

I downloaded the game, and i don't seem to have a file called GENERAL. It's called LEGO and when i open it i get a lot of symbols with a couple of .pcm ( that i would adjust later ).

I think it's a problem because it's a downloaded version of the game..

I understand you changed the PCMs, what I wanted to know was the exact steps you took in doing so and saving the JAM file.

Standard procedure would be to:

1. Decompile the .JAM file.
  2. Locate the GENERAL.SBK file in GAMEDATACOMMON
  3. Rename the PCM files to match the ones you'd like to replace them with. Ensure the file names are spelled exactly the same.
  4. Save and close the GENERAL.SBK file.
  5. Recompile the .JAM file.
  6. Replace the original .JAM file with your new one using the same name.

If you've done all this I can't help you any more :/

On a side note, don't speak of illegal copies of games. This forum doesn't deal with them.

I understand you changed the PCMs, what I wanted to know was the exact steps you took in doing so and saving the JAM file.

Standard procedure would be to:

1. Decompile the .JAM file.
  2. Locate the GENERAL.SBK file in GAMEDATACOMMON
  3. Rename the PCM files to match the ones you'd like to replace them with. Ensure the file names are spelled exactly the same.
  4. Save and close the GENERAL.SBK file.
  5. Recompile the .JAM file.
  6. Replace the original .JAM file with your new one using the same name.

If you've done all this I can't help you any more :/

On a side note, don't speak of illegal copies of games. This forum doesn't deal with them.

Thank you, indeed i was completely doing wrong :) it's working now ^^.

Have a nice day ! :)

Can you like actually add sounds? For example when I'm traveling through the Time Warp could I have 'Do the Hustle' play?

Can you like actually add sounds? For example when I'm traveling through the Time Warp could I have 'Do the Hustle' play?

That would fall under the Create Custom Audio In LEGO Racers tutorial, as well as finding what the file name for the warp powerup is. However, since the audio tutorial can't create custom music exactly since the TUNs are a custom format, you're results will vary. :)

Jack Bluebeard

Resuming at the discussion of the "changing car sound", I would like to add some thinks to the RobExplorien's list of .PCM at page 1.

With those that RobExplorien put I add:

â— SPUT.PCM

â— SPIN.PCM

If you want, you can switch sput.pcm with engine.pcm or eengine.pcm. You can delete the spin.pcm too because the AI do not any spinning sound when they are on oil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried every of the 80 sounds in the GENERAL.SBK and now created a list of which sound is what:

80 Amount
321.pcm 3,2,1 sound or Kahuka's honk
block.pcm sound when sth. hits the shields
brake1.pcm brake of player
brake2.pcm brake of player
btmout.pcm hit sth. hard
canhit.pcm hitting bullet e.g. in Race 2 of Basil's Circuit
cansht.pcm launching bullet (not from player or opponent)
cansus.pcm Basil Race flying bomber at end-sound
cursehit.pcm curse while driving
cursesus.pcm curse of mummy 'gate'
engine.pcm player's engine
enhan01.pcm collected 1 white brick
enhan02.pcm collected 2 white bricks
enhan03.pcm collected 3 white bricks
form.pcm Respawn of power ups
go.pcm GO!-Sound
gpwdrdrp.pcm two vehicles scratching with their sides against each other (thanks to RobExplorien)
gpwdrsus.pcm Yellow and 1 White: flying backwards
grphit.pcm grapple Metal Hit
grppull.pcm grapple pulling
grprel.pcm another sound of grapple
grpsht.pcm throw grapple
grpsnap.pcm Metal grapple Fail
grpsus.pcm another sound of grapple
hitcar.pcm car hit sound
hitenv.pcm ANother hit sound
horn01.pcm Player 1 Honk
horn02.pcm whistling honk (high-low)
horn03.pcm Player 2 honk
horn04.pcm Old Honk with Kinda Fail
horn05.pcm Old working Honk
horn06.pcm Redbeard's Honk
idle.pcm player engine in idle position
mdrop.pcm place 'Yellow with 2 White bricks'
mmine.pcm 'Yellow with 2 w. bricks" tractor beam sound
mtrap.pcm caught in tractor beam
octact0.pcm Green (0 white) startup
octact1.pcm Green (1 white) startup
octact2.pcm Green (2 white) Startup
octact3.pcm Green (3 white) Warp sound Startup
octexp0.pcm green (0 white) extinguish
octexp3.pcm Come out of Time Warp
octsus0.pcm light rumble sound, Belongs to Green0
octsus1.pcm light rumble sound, Belongs to Green 1 White
octsus2.pcm flying rumble sound, Belongs to Green 2 White
octsus3.pcm belongs to TimeWarp, same as octsus2
oildrp.pcm drop Oil (yellow0)
oilhit.pcm opponents slipping on oil
oilsus.pcm oil bubbling
power.pcm drive through time warp
rockhit.pcm rocket (red, 3 white) hit
rocksht.pcm Rocket launching
rocksus.pcm (Rocket flying sound) Unknown to me
shield1.pcm Blue 1 white shield sound
skid.pcm Unknown Sound???
skrcar.pcm Dangling car sound (fast hits)
skrenv.pcm Another Car hit sound
slide1.pcm Powerslide start
slide2.pcm Sliding sound
soff.pcm Shield fade out
spin.pcm Player on Oil or sth else spinning around
sput.pcm Unknown (warm) sound, sounds like a compressor
start.pcm Player engine startup
tire1.pcm friction of wheels with surface, resulting in a screeching sound (thanks to RobExplorien)
tire2.pcm friction of wheels with surface, resulting in a screeching sound (thanks to RobExplorien)
turbo.pcm Sound when opponents drive into Time Warp and tire sound when starting any turbo
wndexp.pcm wand going away
wndhit.pcm wand hitting
wndsus1.pcm Lightning active sound of wand
wndsus2.pcm Lightning passive sound of wand
block1.pcm sound2 when sth. hits the shields
block2.pcm sound3 when sth. hits the shields
enhbonus.pcm Exchange of power ups
grphtenv.pcm grapple failing
mrel.pcm tractor beam (yellow 2 white) fade out
octexp2.pcm Some sound belonging to green with 2 white bricks
shield0.pcm shield blue 0 white sound
shield2.pcm shield blue 2 white sound
shield3.pcm shield blue 3 white sound
eengine.pcm opponent's engine sound

One bad thing is that you can't change the sound of when you stop accelerating (so you put your hand away from Arrow up when driving). This sound seems to be hardcoded anywhere. Maybe anyone can find it?

A cool thing with the engine.pcm is that you can insert any other sound there (it has then different pitches, depending on how fast you drive). A cool engine sound is shield2.pcm or shield1.pcm and as idle sound use shield0.pcm.

The bad thing about that is the sound that is probably hardcoded and so you still hear the normal engine sound when stopping to accelerate (in german: 'den Wagen rollen lassen').

When you want to change some sounds, make sure they are placed there where you want to have them. For example you want to remove the player's honk and give him redbeard's honk. Then you write horn06.pcm where the player's honk is set (horn01.pcm). So you just change horn01 to horn06 and then you recompile, ...

The reason that the deceleration sounds different is because of the sput.pcm entry. This is the sound of the Demo Kahuka's engine. If you wish, you can change this to eengine.pcm if you want to have the AI's engine sound when decelerating as well as accelerating.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.