The Return of Ninjago

lol username

It's common knowledge by now that Ninjago is on its way out, with only a small wave of sets in 2013. The TV show story has also come to a conclusion, and the theme's successor, Legends of Chima, has been unveiled and is being promoted heavily. Aside from traditional LEGO sets, the Legends of Chima theme will also include Hero Factory style action figures, board games, books, and a TV show.

Multiple LEGO employees have previously confirmed that Ninjago is done for good, and that Legends of Chima has taken its place. Given the "Final Battle" text plastered on the 2013 Ninjago set boxes, and the story concluding with evil being defeated once and for all, plus the heavy focus on Legends of Chima, nobody has had any reason to think Ninjago will continue. However, a rather surprising announcement was made on the LEGO Message Boards today: Ninjago will continue into 2014. The post also contains this teaser image, featuring the nindroid Zane and a mysterious character reflected in his eyes. As of now, it is unclear what exactly this continuation will involve; it could simply be another season of the TV show, a new wave of sets to go with it, or something else entirely. But one thing is for sure: The Ninjago fanbase is rejoicing.

Update: The LEGO official who made the announcement has confirmed that there will be more sets in 2013 and 2014. In regards to the TV show, no more information has been given.

Sources: LEGO Message Boards

Rejoice! Rejoice! And again I say Rejoice! (NVM that. I took it out of context. :P)

So Ninjago is returning.... Wow. I don't know what to say... I don't think it will hurt too badly to watch Chima while I wait for Ninjago.

If you look carefully at the reflection, the unknown person seems to be wearing Samuari shoulderpads or some new kind of armor (new brick, anyone?). On the left, there is a red symbol, that seems to be three red triangles lined up in a triangle (recycled content. :P), kinda like the Assembly logo from LU. Not sure about the helmet, maybe goggles.

And since it is Zane on the poster, not Llyod or Kai (the main character in the Pilot) or anyonce else, perhaps Zane is the main charater.

rio just had an idea: While the show still ran, there were many references to "the student has become the teacher". Since Llyod is now the Ulitmate Spinjitzu Master, maybe the Ninja have taken on new students, and Zane is training a robot.

Well, we will find out late 2013.

EDIT: Maybe it's a redo of Exo-force. The Ninja are the good guys, and there are bad guy robots. They find the golden city, then Sensei Wu is captured. The Ninja go find him in the jungle, and the series is canceled. :P Well, maybe not, but Ninjago did have a lot of references to Exo-force, namely the battle machines and gold.

Given that the poster features Zane (and makes a heavy point of his scarred form, too, with internal mechanics showing), I think it's fairly likely that the other character is a nindroid as well - like an anti-Zane type character. Note the red glow in the eye, typically LEGO only does that for evil characters. :P

...And still no news on BIONICLE. Well, at least this gives us some hope that continuations of discontinued themes are a reality.

BIONICLE is gone, over, even if it were to come back it lost track when it left Mata Nui and went to the Glatorian stuff, and the last months of Greg's writings before he gave up are a confused mess.

...And still no news on BIONICLE. Well, at least this gives us some hope that continuations of discontinued themes are a reality.

How? Ninjago was never discontinued.

I agree with Lair on this one. The best BIONICLEs were the first set and the ones that looked like the first set but with armor. You have to let it go McStudz. BIONICLE will never return.

I like Ninjago. I always thought the show was pretty fun. I had karate during the time season 2 was on on so I never saw the end. I should see if YouTube has it. I think it would be awesome to have a season centered around Zane. Like who is his father? Why did he live in a fake tree? Why did he live in the snowy land with out anyone around for miles except for creatures that blend into the forest? It's all very interesting.

Here's what LEGO set designer Mark Stafford has to say about it:

LoC and Ninjago have very little to do with one another (apart from sharing a few Designers) - Chima was never 'replacing' Ninjago (except maybe in the marketing/advertising budget) and any decision made about ending or continuing Ninjago has nothing to do with the Chima theme. Some marketing person in the US linked his excitement about the new theme of LoC to Ninjago ending and for some reason now everyone has to like one or the other? It's nuts - no one argues about room for both Lord of the Rings and Star Wars!

Enjoy having two quite different yet awesome LEGO created universes running side by side (as they will be in January) for as long as you can. This is lightening in a bottle twice over and perhaps the Golden Age of LEGO play themes. The Chima TV show is great and the universe, as you'll find out soon, is just as awesome but distinctly different from Ninjago, this is is going to be a fun ride!

>Implying that the so called "Golden Age" wasn't BIONICLE.

But fine. LEGO isn't bringing back BIONICLE just yet, and Ninjago is not discontinued. But I will be keeping my fingers crossed for BIONICLE's hopeful return.

>Implying that the so called "Golden Age" wasn't BIONICLE.
It wasn't. At all. A different age than the 90s, yes, but not golden. Of course, I don't know what the basis is, and what time periods would be what age, but it certainly isn't this.
  • Like 1

He was saying the 90s were NOT a golden age. Often cruddy set design, small themes, juniorized bulky pieces... :|

Now don't get me wrong, I like some 90s stuff (the 90s gave birth to wonderful things like Johnny Thunder), but you can't deny that most of sets had a lot of downfalls.

• Like 1

...True enough. Somehow I forgot about the 90s. They were more like the Golden Age than BIONICLE was. Sorry about that.

NO, NO, NO

Lego is decades old, and the 90s are nowhere near a Golden Age

You don't understand what I'm talking about and assuming Golden Age = good (which doesn't entirely fit the 90s anyway). Golden Age in the sense I know it would be like the earlier decades, maybe not the 30s but certainly FAR before the 90s.

Look up on ages of comic books for a sort of comparison. It's a bad comparison but it should sort of show why I think you are being silly. We should do something similar for LEGO so that this NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN

• Like 1

I think the golden age was when they sold the basic sets with all the basic colors and bricks along with grass green base-plates and 2 generic smiley face minifigs.

I guess this is good news for NinjaGo fans... But I never understood why people like it, it does nothing for me.

And that is why you fail. The animation got better as time went on.

I think the golden age was when they sold the basic sets with all the basic colors and bricks along with grass green base-plates and 2 generic smiley face minifigs.

I think it would be when LEGO started to really take off, which would be around the late 60's, early 70's.

The animation got better as time went on.

Animation quality does not mean better theme, in-fact they have nothing to do with each other.

Animation quality does not mean better theme, in-fact they have nothing to do with each other.

True, but you have to admit that it helps a bit. I mean, do you really want to watch a poorly animated LEGO cartoon?

I think the story was awesome (IAs I've already said in my last post). LEGO went all out with Ninjago. A TV show, online games, YT, iOS games, advertising, LEGO Universe, LEGO made a big leap toward the new generation with mass amounts of digital content. Heh, Ninjago is the #2 show on CN (It was #1 when it was still new). To pull Ninjago now would be a major mistake for LEGO in multiple ways.

And an epic soundtrack doesn't hurt either. :P

• Like 1

This is pretty much along the definition I was using, though maybe a little earlier. In no way does that mean later times were worse, it's just a comparison.

This means nothing to me due to my experience with people saying a game is good just because the graphics look amazing and the games I play are less good because they sometimes have sub-par graphics.

I think the story was awesome
I don't get what people like about it. It was basically trying to cram in everything it could (ninjas and pirates and zombies and robots and mechs and snakes and aaaaa)
  • Like 2

This is pretty much along the definition I was using, though maybe a little earlier. In no way does that mean later times were worse, it's just a comparison.

I think is started to go down hill when they started using those taller minifigs that had more human features and didn't come apart.

This means nothing to me due to my experience with people saying a game is good just because the graphics look amazing and the games I play are less good because they sometimes have sub-par graphics.

You should play Minecraft. The gameplay is far better than the graphics.

I think the story was awesome

I don't get what people like about it. It was basically trying to cram in everything it could (ninjas and pirates and zombies and robots and mechs and snakes and aaaaa)

You forget that they split that over two seasons and about three to five arcs. They did fine with the amount of content they put in.
  • Like 1

I think is started to go down hill when they started using those taller minifigs that had more human features and didn't come apart.

These? They were only used in the early 2000s in sets aimed at 4-year-olds. :|

These? They were only used in the early 2000s in sets aimed at 4-year-olds. :|

4860-1-1.jpg

Also, I hated how the Ninjago series used elements that weren't even LEGO.

Like the parrot, cop cars, bus, to name a few. It was ugly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.