Mod Screenshot

Noogah

New people dive right into modding Racers and I don't even know how to extract the JAM :(

Don't worry mate - I've been lurking, and it isn't hard at all.

1. Get JrMasterModelBuilder's JAM extraction tool. He has a few versions, but you'll probably want the one with a GUI.

2. Click extract, browse to the Program Files of your computer, Lego Media, Lego Racers, then select LEGO.JAM

3. Choose a folder to extract to.

4. Done!

To do what I've done here, just replace some of the BMP files in the GAMEDATA/TEST that you'll get. To figure out what's what (since you can't actually view the default ones), have a look at Cyrem's thread. Then, rebuild it into a new LEGO.JAM, and replace the one in your Lego racers directory.

Be sure to keep a backup of the old JAM file, or you'll have to reinstall Lego Racers if anything goes wrong.

JrMasterModelBuilder

New people dive right into modding Racers and I don't even know how to extract the JAM :(

Don't worry mate - I've been lurking, and it isn't hard at all.

1. Get JrMasterModelBuilder's JAM extraction tool. He has a few versions, but you'll probably want the one with a GUI.

2. Click extract, browse to the Program Files of your computer, Lego Media, Lego Racers, then select LEGO.JAM

3. Choose a folder to extract to.

4. Done!

To do what I've done here, just replace some of the BMP files in the GAMEDATA/TEST that you'll get. To figure out what's what (since you can't actually view the default ones), have a look at Cyrem's thread. Then, rebuild it into a new LEGO.JAM, and replace the one in your Lego racers directory.

Be sure to keep a backup of the old JAM file, or you'll have to reinstall Lego Racers if anything goes wrong.

I'd recommend the Python version. It's smaller and faster.

ANyway, cool mod!

ANyway, cool mod!

I couldn't quite get the Python version to work - or maybe it did work, and I didn't understand it. Everytime it thought it was done extracting, I couldn't figure out where it had extracted the JAM to.

Anyways, thanks - I thought Mickey mouse was a nice touch myself. On a more serious note, I like the look of HD textures, specifically the gravel road I added.

34gofhz.jpg

Some bloke came through here once, showcasing a "Lego Racers HD" project. I hope he, or somebody else, can continue that.

I couldn't quite get the Python version to work - or maybe it did work, and I didn't understand it. Everytime it thought it was done extracting, I couldn't figure out where it had extracted the JAM to.

It extracts to the same folder as the extractor, and the files are contained in a folder called LEGO_JAM. ;)

Anyways, thanks - I thought Mickey mouse was a nice touch myself. On a more serious note, I like the look of HD textures, specifically the gravel road I added.

-snip-

Some bloke came through here once, showcasing a "Lego Racers HD" project. I hope he, or somebody else, can continue that.

I'm currently working on an HD version of the test track. I'm recreating the original files but in a much better quality, so it looks like the original, but better. I've only got a few more to go. However, my BMP files already total 112 MB...

my BMP files already total 112 MB...

If there's no noticeable difference in quality, try saving them as 8bit bitmaps. Instant file size decrease.

If there's no noticeable difference in quality, try saving them as 8bit bitmaps. Instant file size decrease.

I'll see about it. Right now, I'm saving as 24-bit BMPs. I'm not sure, would saving 3008x3008 images in 8-bit BMPs create a quality difference?

I'll see about it. Right now, I'm saving as 24-bit BMPs. I'm not sure, would saving 3008x3008 images in 8-bit BMPs create a quality difference?

O_O surely that's overkill....!

Anyways, that sounds really cool! Can't wait to see it. Lego Racers deserves the upgrade.

What images have you got left to do? I could help out with some, if you'd like.

I'm not sure, would saving 3008x3008 images in 8-bit BMPs create a quality difference?

Oh come on, even 1024x1024 would be fine. 3008 isn't even a power of two.

About the quality difference, it depends... Try it and find out. Some pictures will look good, others not so much.

• Like 2

JrMasterModelBuilder

It extracts to the same folder as the extractor, and the files are contained in a folder called LEGO_JAM. ;)

It should extract to the same folder as the LEGO.JAM file. If you don't have write permissions to the folder it is in (common for the Program Files folders in recent Windows versions), it will probably fail.

I'd rather use an independant executable.

That's why I also froze the Python script into Windows executables. :)

Bitmaps less-than 24-bit are pallet based so thier maximum colors are limited.

It should extract to the same folder as the LEGO.JAM file. If you don't have write permissions to the folder it is in (common for the Program Files folders in recent Windows versions), it will probably fail.

If it's Vista/7, try looking in here if you extracted the JAM directly from Program Files: %LOCALAPPDATA%VirtualStoreProgram FilesLEGO MediaGamesLEGO Racers

3008x3008 images

... wat. :|

First, as mumboking said, that's an incredibly awkward and inefficient texture size.

Second, even 1024x1024 might be a bit much IMO (for things like grass and dirt and the like), 512 x 512 should be fine for most stuff like that. No need to go to absurd texture sizes when the camera probably wouldn't ever get close enough to the ground to warrant it. Just try it out and see, only go for 1024x1024 if 512x512 isn't satisfying.

• Like 3

Whatever you say guys, but I have a video of these super-hi-res and non-power of two images.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5b5dQWJCUs

Regarding the grass particles breaking... did you keep the EXACT SAME background color?

Whatever you say guys, but I have a video of these super-hi-res and non-power of two images.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5b5dQWJCUs

... Did you even read the article I linked to? Or are you just choosing to throw out one of the most important elements of texture design? It's not hard to resize textures.

Regarding the grass particles breaking... did you keep the EXACT SAME background color?

I haven't even changed those. I need to get the originals again.

... Did you even read the article I linked to? Or are you just choosing to throw out one of the most important elements of texture design? It's not hard to resize textures.

Actually, I've just chosen to ignore it until a later date. I'll end up re-sizing them later on anyway. ;)

That's a really good effort le717. I especially like what you've done with the dirt track, and the grass in the main area. The Lego Racers logo is good too - where in the world did you get such a high-res one?

The one problem is your arrows in the dirt area - I bet you haven't finished them yet. You can use mine, if you want. I've sized it at 3008, even though I agree that it's unnecessary.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h6lt00

That's a really good effort le717. I especially like what you've done with the dirt track, and the grass in the main area. The Lego Racers logo is good too - where in the world did you get such a high-res one?

The one problem is your arrows in the dirt area - I bet you haven't finished them yet. You can use mine, if you want. I've sized it at 3008, even though I agree that it's unnecessary.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h6lt00

... A 25.8 MB texture.

Holy file size Batman.

... A 25.8 MB texture.

Holy file size Batman.

It's true - but he's the one who insists on a 3008x3008 24-bit BMP texture! :ilaser:

Easily compressible, but I'm leaving it lossless in case he wants to develop it.

... A 25.8 MB texture.

Holy file size Batman.

It's true - but he's the one who insists on a 3008x3008 24-bit BMP texture! :ilaser:

Easily compressible, but I'm leaving it lossless in case he wants to develop it.

If I resize and save it as an 8 bit bmp, I can get it to 257KB in 512x512 or 65KB in 256x256.

• Like 1

If I resize and save it as an 8 bit bmp, I can get it to 257KB in 512x512 or 65KB in 256x256.

Sounds good to me, mate. If it were my mod, I might do it that way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.