LMS - Lrr Modding System

TheDoctor

You fail to realize that I know this. I don't intend on limiting users to one set of settings. I'll have one area in the registry and make branches off of that when LMS is launched from a different path.

So it would be something like:

# I'm sudo-coding here, don't expect a lick of this to work
lmspath = winreg.open("HKLMSoftwareLMSStartpath")
if os.getcwd() != lmspath:
lmspath.close()
print "LMS has been loaded in a location different from the last launch"
newlmspath = winreg.write("HKLMSoftwareLMSLaunch2Startpath") # or Launch1, if you have the main settings in the root of LMS or do like Python does and have 2 = the counting number 1
newlmspath.close()
# Write the rest of the settings to the new location here

Edit: I'll add an option to delete all settings once I start on that code, just for you Cyrem.

That should be in there even if Cyrem did not mention anything, unless you want to make an installer (dun dun DUN! :P).

You fail to realize that I know this. I don't intend on limiting users to one set of settings. I'll have one area in the registry and make branches off of that when LMS is launched from a different path.

So it would be something like:

# I'm sudo-coding here, don't expect a lick of this to work
lmspath = winreg.open("HKLMSoftwareLMSStartpath")
if os.getcwd() != lmspath:
lmspath.close()
print "LMS has been loaded in a location different from the last launch"
newlmspath = winreg.write("HKLMSoftwareLMSLaunch2Startpath") # or Launch1, if you have the main settings in the root of LMS or do like Python does and have 2 = the counting number 1
newlmspath.close()
# Write the rest of the settings to the new location here

Yes yes something like that. It's simple logistics.

Yes yes something like that. It's simple logistics.

Thought so. My offer for help still stands (as I have experience in both registry settings and file settings), so when you have more specific settings, I can help if you want.

I finally got working code to pull data from the registry and manipulate it all I care to (such as getting clean folder paths). I'd be happy to share my code with you if you want.

• 2 months later...

Small but important update. Anonymouse made a C extension to change the bit depth to 16 and back, so now I don't have to deal with Qres' quirks. Have fun.

Can you commit the ico file LMS is supposed to have? Perhaps I or someone else can help fix it.

When I (eventually) move to cx_freeze, it should be fine. I've looked at all the docs and all the everything and it just doesn't seem to work. You're free to use any other image file to test though.

Can you commit the ico file LMS is supposed to have? Perhaps I or someone else can help fix it.

When I (eventually) move to cx_freeze, it should be fine. I've looked at all the docs and all the everything and it just doesn't seem to work. You're free to use any other image file to test though.

Alright, that's fine. But what you do mean by "eventually"? If you need a nice setup.py, I've got one you can use. The PatchIt script is my most advanced one, but most of my others feature the same feature set: automatically appending "build" to sys.argv, different folders for Exe depending on Python architecture, icon, other scripts, my Blocks script has the ability to hide the command window if you have a GUI. Unless you have other reasons for not moving to it, you should just go ahead and do it.

• 3 months later...

I noticed in the Updater code you are planning on having a file read function to test for admin rights. I don't know your exact plan on how you will do this, but if you need some way to relaunch LMS with admin rights, you might want to look at this:

https://github.com/QuantumCD/RunAsAdmin#readme

It's a small C++ app I had someone write and make open-source. Complete details are in the readme, but basically you go

subprocess.call(["RunAsAdmin.exe" "command-line arguments here if any"])

and it will use the exe name defined in RunAsAdmin.cfg to launch your program with admin rights via UAC dialog, and with arguments if you specify any (also has support for default arguments). It works well, I'm using it in Blocks and in the next release of PatchIt. It may be of use to you too.

Also, if you don't mind me posting this, I wrote up a wrapper for it (https://github.com/le717/PatchIt/blob/rewrite/runasadmin.py). If you use it, you'll need to edit it a bit to remove the logging and any other stuff, but it allows for custom messages to be displayed along-side the relaunch prompt, plus checks if you're attempting to reload the Python script (which won't work. I've tried).

I noticed in the Updater code you are planning on having a file read function to test for admin rights. I don't know your exact plan on how you will do this, but if you need some way to relaunch LMS with admin rights, you might want to look at this:

https://github.com/QuantumCD/RunAsAdmin#readme

It's a small C++ app I had someone write and make open-source. Complete details are in the readme, but basically you go

subprocess.call(["RunAsAdmin.exe" "command-line arguments here if any"])

and it will use the exe name defined in RunAsAdmin.cfg to launch your program with admin rights via UAC dialog, and with arguments if you specify any (also has support for default arguments). It works well, I'm using it in Blocks and in the next release of PatchIt. It may be of use to you too.

Also, if you don't mind me posting this, I wrote up a wrapper for it (https://github.com/le717/PatchIt/blob/rewrite/runasadmin.py). If you use it, you'll need to edit it a bit to remove the logging and any other stuff, but it allows for custom messages to be displayed along-side the relaunch prompt, plus checks if you're attempting to reload the Python script (which won't work. I've tried).

The idea is that the LRR folder is copied out somewhere (like anywhere in the user's home folder i.e. the desktop) where admin is not needed. If the user wants to leave it in the Program Files tree, then they can run LMS as admin.

• 2 months later...

I have a really  BIG PROBLEM INSTALLING LRR. I tried all the methods and stuff reported on this forum but none will work. I tried using UniExtract, but it won't work. I tried extracting "data1.cab"  (AND NO data.cab, it doesnt exist), but at the end of the extracting process it shows an error and briefly says that data1.cab can't be extracted or something..... I even donwloaded this tool you made, but no way. Is this .exe file supposed to install Lego RR on your PC??? Cause it doesnt even launch... I double click on it and all I get is a prompt style window, for a milli second. 

I have Win 7. Can someone please help me install this damn game ???????

• 2 months later...

I've done everything I found on this forum.

used UniExtract on the 3 CAB files in disc: "_sys1.cab" "_user1.cab" "data1.cab"

extracted them to a folder called "Lego Rock Raiders" which on the desktop.

downloaded the LMS program and put it on the game folder ^

ran it, "primed the WADs", then ran the game using the command in LMS.

When I did that, I selected windowed mode in the mode selector and clicked OK.

A blank window popped up and vanished and then nothing else happened.

Is there anything I am forgetting to do?

@correzzana ^^^

Your supposed to put the LMS program in the folder you extracted data1.cab, If you don't have a folder I suggest you do just for organization.

Also, I am assuming there are 3 different .cab files on your disc. Extract the other 2 cab files and put them with the other extracted files.

This is where I am stuck.

• Like 1

I should have done this already but I haven't. Next time I boot into Windows 7, I'll double check my Python installation and freeze the latest LMS source. I ported Doc's alternate installer from Java to Python (and at the same time finished his intended functionality). It may help solve your issue, Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...
minerboy6666

Hows it coming?

Always check the OP for news, updates, etc. I prefer not to clutter this topic with random update posts.

Unfortunately, I never tend to check topics which don't have unread posts in them...

Hmm. I run this and it puts up a command prompt for like half-a-second then it closes and nothing happens after. Help?

Hmm. I run this and it puts up a command prompt for like half-a-second then it closes and nothing happens after. Help?

It would appear to be a dead project. And if you look at the legend on Page 1 you'll find that only the launcher is done. Someone needs to nudge TheDoctor about this...

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.